M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Question on brakes

06-10-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
rbahr
Private
Rep
Drives: To many & not enough

Question on brakes

Hi All,

I have a new-to-me M2C that will be a track toy. I am not taking it off the road, but it will see serious track duty. I am not new to track cars, but know almost nothing about the M2C.

Been doing track stuff forever, I instruct with Porsche & BMW & others, and am coming from a pretty hard core track car, just looking to simplify...

I want to upgrade front brakes to either AP Racing or Alcon - both race setup. I am familiar with race calipers...

Is there any real preference, or does it come down to the best deal on the hardware?

Thanks

Ray
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #2
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

The Essex/AP Racing Radical seems like a popular choice on tracked M2s, and I've seen a fair number of this caliper setup on track. Not to say that Alcon won't work (or StopTech for that matter), just that the Essex/AP seems like a popular setup. That being said, the stock brake hardware on the M2C seems like a solid foundation as well. May be worth trying it out with some Castrol SRF fluid, race pads like Ferodo DS3.12 or Pagid RS29/RSL1 and some SS lines and see if it works for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

The main reason to step away from the M2c brakes it they require 19" wheels. With AP Racing you can fit 18" wheels with a number of good track tire sizes. I can't speak for the Alcon brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbahr View Post
Hi All,

I have a new-to-me M2C that will be a track toy. I am not taking it off the road, but it will see serious track duty. I am not new to track cars, but know almost nothing about the M2C.

Been doing track stuff forever, I instruct with Porsche & BMW & others, and am coming from a pretty hard core track car, just looking to simplify...

I want to upgrade front brakes to either AP Racing or Alcon - both race setup. I am familiar with race calipers...

Is there any real preference, or does it come down to the best deal on the hardware?

Thanks

Ray
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 02:32 PM   #4
rbahr
Private
Rep

Pretty sure the OEM brakes won't be good enough, at least based on previous experiences. The real motivation is I want to run 18's to have access to good tires.

Thanks

Ray
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 10:05 PM   #5
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

My preference is with the APs - run them on all my cars that see track time (and even some that don’t). This includes my M2C that is very quick on the track and still close to oem weight. My experience with these kits across all the platforms & cars we have put them on has been excellent - to the point they were the first I reached out to about being setup as a dealer when I first turned this hobby into a shop (I can get you a quote on them if you like). I very much like being able to nullify fade, allow 18, reduce mass, & change pads very quickly.

I do not have experience with the Alcon kits that are starting to show up. I expect they will do well but would like to see how they fare after a bit more time and bigger sample size.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #6
rbahr
Private
Rep

Hi OG,

Sure, send me a quote on the front setup - 24mm pads. I can't pm yet, but I suspect that you can message me.

Thanks

Ray
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 08:19 AM   #7
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbahr View Post
Hi OG,

Sure, send me a quote on the front setup - 24mm pads. I can't pm yet, but I suspect that you can message me.

Thanks

Ray
Hey Ray - can't send a PM to you yet either. My email is jason@ogsharkmotorsport.com - if you want to shoot me an email then I can get a quote headed back your way.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:39 PM   #8
rbahr
Private
Rep

Thanks Jason, email sent
Appreciate 0