BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Rented a M2C at Circuit of the Americas

01-10-2022, 01:27 PM   #23
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

@mr.e46m3 - this is awesome - COTA is such a fun track/experience and your father-in-law has an absolute dream schedule of tracks this year. We that live in this area are spoiled having it in our backyard. Definitely on the US track bucket list for those that haven't been. There are a couple of tracks that I do enjoy driving a bit more but COTA definitely has a special place in my heart.

Some of the HPDE's can bring out some ridiculous cars. Just for that alone it can be worth attending. Had a Senna go off on 10 (the blind left) right in front of me - I was right there with him in code brown until he got it stopped before the wall (one of the good things about COTA is the runoff room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
I was in your Father-in-law's group and remember being impressed at that car's ability to get out of the corners. Definitely has a lot of experience under his belt. The car is not "stock" but I'm not sure what's done to it. It has 763M or other aftermarket wheels (I don't know what tire), a cage, looks like seats, and an m-perf wing. I'm sure it's got a decent pad and fluid. Who knows what else though.

I'm curious what his Aim solo said for max gps speed though—160 is [I]not[/] stock. His time of 2:33.xx is really impressive to me, but my lap was ~1s quicker but with a GPS top speed of 151.6, so that 160 might have been indicated, not actual. Thanks for sharing.
160 in a M2 is booking it at the end of the back straight - would definitely need quite a bit more power than stock to get there like you said. Feel like 150+ would have been manageable in better conditions - my back straight trap on my fastest lap in the 31's was 143.8 - but that was in 100* and over 4,000 lbs between me & my passenger . Hoping to push 160 with the power turned up when we are out there next month though.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #24
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
I was in your Father-in-law's group and remember being impressed at that car's ability to get out of the corners. Definitely has a lot of experience under his belt. The car is not "stock" but I'm not sure what's done to it. It has 763M or other aftermarket wheels (I don't know what tire), a cage, looks like seats, and an m-perf wing. I'm sure it's got a decent pad and fluid. Who knows what else though.

I'm curious what his Aim solo said for max gps speed though—160 is [I]not[/] stock. His time of 2:33.xx is really impressive to me, but my lap was ~1s quicker but with a GPS top speed of 151.6, so that 160 might have been indicated, not actual. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks pretty cool that you were out there as well! He's more than likely mentioning indicated speed. I'll ask him if got any data back from his track sessions.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 02:14 PM   #25
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
@mr.e46m3 - this is awesome - COTA is such a fun track/experience and your father-in-law has an absolute dream schedule of tracks this year. We that live in this area are spoiled having it in our backyard. Definitely on the US track bucket list for those that haven't been. There are a couple of tracks that I do enjoy driving a bit more but COTA definitely has a special place in my heart.

Some of the HPDE's can bring out some ridiculous cars. Just for that alone it can be worth attending. Had a Senna go off on 10 (the blind left) right in front of me - I was right there with him in code brown until he got it stopped before the wall (one of the good things about COTA is the runoff room)

160 in a M2 is booking it at the end of the back straight - would definitely need quite a bit more power than stock to get there like you said. Feel like 150+ would have been manageable in better conditions - my back straight trap on my fastest lap in the 31's was 143.8 - but that was in 100* and over 4,000 lbs between me & my passenger . Hoping to push 160 with the power turned up when we are out there next month though.

Which tracks are your favorite? Road Atlanta is my favorite track followed by Road America. I do want to make it to the newly open Ozarks International Raceway in May with Chin Track Days...that looks technical. I also want to make it to VIR...just looks like an amazing place!

That must have been hair raising to see the Senna go...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 04:38 PM   #26
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E46M3 View Post
Which tracks are your favorite? Road Atlanta is my favorite track followed by Road America. I do want to make it to the newly open Ozarks International Raceway in May with Chin Track Days...that looks technical. I also want to make it to VIR...just looks like an amazing place!

That must have been hair raising to see the Senna go...
Road Atlanta as well. Absolutely loved that track and the atmosphere. Only been once so far and in that time only had one dry practice session. All the rest including qualifying and the race were in the wet so I didn't get to get a full appreciation for the track at full pace but what I did experience was awesome. Racing in the rain there was pure joy.

Yes watching that Senna go off was not fun at all - that can be a pretty gnarly as its pretty quick through there and its a blind kink at the crest of an incline. But he did good and kept it out of the wall so no harm no foul.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #27
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Road Atlanta as well. Absolutely loved that track and the atmosphere. Only been once so far and in that time only had one dry practice session. All the rest including qualifying and the race were in the wet so I didn't get to get a full appreciation for the track at full pace but what I did experience was awesome. Racing in the rain there was pure joy.

Yes watching that Senna go off was not fun at all - that can be a pretty gnarly as its pretty quick through there and its a blind kink at the crest of an incline. But he did good and kept it out of the wall so no harm no foul.
Unfortunately no data from the track day as that was extra.

If you like Road Atlanta, you should check this fun run March last year. My father-in-law rented a spec Miata and a gt4 Clubsport. The one below is with the GT4 Clubsport

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:26 PM   #28
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Definitely going to check out his channel.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #29
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
definitely check it out...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #30
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

That is one crazy long straight. FWIW, another thread has several stock M2comps hitting 165 on autobahn even with limiter (and I heard the limiter it is simple to code out).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 07:36 PM   #31
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
That is one crazy long straight. FWIW, another thread has several stock M2comps hitting 165 on autobahn even with limiter (and I heard the limiter it is simple to code out).
I think the max I've driven on the track is close to 140mph and that was in my M3. The fastest I've been in any car is a Mclaren 650s as a passenger at 178 indicated...that was a bit nuts. If you're doing it all the time it's probably no big deal but once-in-awhile it gets a bit harry...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 07:43 PM   #32
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
This one went up which is pretty good...how important vision is.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 09:10 AM   #33
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Here is one lap from Daytona in a 458! It was hard holding the GoPro in the banks…max speed was 178 near the start/ finish. Hope to have a track walk through done soon. Until then enjoy…

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #34
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Great content.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #35
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Thanks...its a small channel. Try to work on it when I have the time
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 10:44 AM   #36
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

You clearly have some great experiences to share for bums like me to live vicariously through.

Do your best impression of a famous YouTube personality (gross) and remind people to subscribe and like so father algorithm lends you a hand. Can’t hurt anything but dignity.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 08:35 PM   #37
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
You clearly have some great experiences to share for bums like me to live vicariously through.

Do your best impression of a famous YouTube personality (gross) and remind people to subscribe and like so father algorithm lends you a hand. Can’t hurt anything but dignity.
Definitely have to say "like and subscribe" while channeling my inner Jim Carey, lol
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 10:48 AM   #38
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Who’s M2 at Sebring in Jan?

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 12:14 AM   #39
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Wow this is really cool! Thanks for sharing. I watched F1 there in 2013 and am going back this year in October (again for F1).

Maybe one day my car will be lucky enough to drive on that pavement.

I clicked through and watched this video too:

I wanna see if I can find a video with more footage of the f1 car someone brought to the track?? Which car / what year?! That's amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #40
Mr.E46M3
Private
Rep

Here is a really in-depth walk through on Ozarks International Raceway if anyone is interested....

Appreciate 0