BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Looking for seat recommendations

01-04-2022, 11:55 AM   #1
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Looking for seat recommendations

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations on seats for my 2018 M2. When I started auto-crossing last year I hated the stock seats, my foot was always planted hard into the dead petal to hold myself in place through corners.

I see a lot of folks running cobra nogaro/sparco QRT, I'm not too interested in fixed back options. I'm not planning to run a harness/cage and will be using the regular seat belts. I do take my car on longer road trips so I still want something comfortable but just a little bit more bolstering for autocross. I been keeping an eye out on M3/M4 seats as I think that is exactly what I need for my application but it is kind of hard to come by. Just wondering if there is an off the shelf decently priced alternative to the M3/M4 seats for my application. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #2
bkd705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Also looking for new seats so following the thread, but just wanted to add.

I have the Comp so same seats as the M3/M4 and I owned an OG M2 before. Honestly I don't think the Comp seats add any additional support over the OG. I'm also using my knees against door/center console to brace myself on track, not fun.

Was considering Sparco QRT mainly given the price in Canada is low for the basic model (more for carbon back, etc). But the only thing that turned me off them slightly was the seatbelt apparently has to go over the sides so it wouldn't actually be on your lap, where as the cobra goes low enough at the sides the seatbelt can sit on your lap properly..
Appreciate 1
Tes109.00
      01-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #3
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd705 View Post
Also looking for new seats so following the thread, but just wanted to add.

I have the Comp so same seats as the M3/M4 and I owned an OG M2 before. Honestly I don't think the Comp seats add any additional support over the OG. I'm also using my knees against door/center console to brace myself on track, not fun.

Was considering Sparco QRT mainly given the price in Canada is low for the basic model (more for carbon back, etc). But the only thing that turned me off them slightly was the seatbelt apparently has to go over the sides so it wouldn't actually be on your lap, where as the cobra goes low enough at the sides the seatbelt can sit on your lap properly..
Thanks for the great info! good to know. I test drove a M2C and it did feel more supportive compared to my OG but I never tracked or autocrossed with the M2C I just assumed it would be better. And that is also good to know about the QRT!! if the seat belt hovers that'll be a definite no no for me XD I'm already having to hold myself with my left leg in corners I can't imagine having to do it when braking lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:49 PM   #4
bkd705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Thanks for the great info! good to know. I test drove a M2C and it did feel more supportive compared to my OG but I never tracked or autocrossed with the M2C I just assumed it would be better. And that is also good to know about the QRT!! if the seat belt hovers that'll be a definite no no for me XD I'm already having to hold myself with my left leg in corners I can't imagine having to do it when braking lol.
Yeah, look into it for sure, I've been looking at the Cobra or also there are like replacement seat belt receptacles which are the floppy ones so they sit nicely on your lap, but just depends on what you want.

Also you could look into some of the quick fit harnesses which don't require a harness bar/cage for the track if you're struggling to stay in the seat under braking (I am too :P)
Appreciate 1
Tes109.00
      01-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Have you considered the Recaro Sporster line?
They are really well suited to dual purpose use.
The 3pt belts work fine & also can be reclined.

Name:  external-cRecaro Sporster.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  51.3 KB
Appreciate 1
Tes109.00
      01-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
There aren't any reclining seats I've found that bolster me well enough and will work with a Quick Fit harness (well possibly Bride Edirb, but haven't been able to sit in one of those) due to the harness passthroughs being too low unless you're like under 5'4". I'm 5'8", 33-34 waist, 18-18.5" shoulders.

That said, of the Recaro Sportster and Sparco SPX seats, both have better bolstering than stock, especially up near the armpit area, which is where I feel the stock competition seats are deficient. The Sparco SPX has a much deeper seat pan, so extends towards the back of your knees more. It felt a bit narrower for your legs towards the front of the seat due to the seat pan's side bolsters, and had a bit better side bolstering than the Sportster.

I also tried the Recaro Speed, and unless you're pretty skinny, you'll need the flat base/pan version. It also felt like it had a wide seat back, so good for comfort, but not good for wanting to be felt slightly hugged by the seat and kept in place. I don't think this seat would be an improvement over the Competition seats.

For fun I also tried a cheap OMP Style seat. That thing is huge in terms of width and I wasn't secured in it at all.

The Cobra Misano seems like it should fit me well from the measurements, but once again has harness passthroughs that are too low for what I wanted.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
Tes109.00
      01-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Have you considered the Recaro Sporster line?
They are really well suited to dual purpose use.
The 3pt belts work fine & also can be reclined.

Attachment 2780216
Nope I haven't! those are looking great! will definitely consider thanks for sharing!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 03:49 PM   #8
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
There aren't any reclining seats I've found that bolster me well enough and will work with a Quick Fit harness (well possibly Bride Edirb, but haven't been able to sit in one of those) due to the harness passthroughs being too low unless you're like under 5'4". I'm 5'8", 33-34 waist, 18-18.5" shoulders.

That said, of the Recaro Sportster and Sparco SPX seats, both have better bolstering than stock, especially up near the armpit area, which is where I feel the stock competition seats are deficient. The Sparco SPX has a much deeper seat pan, so extends towards the back of your knees more. It felt a bit narrower for your legs towards the front of the seat due to the seat pan's side bolsters, and had a bit better side bolstering than the Sportster.

I also tried the Recaro Speed, and unless you're pretty skinny, you'll need the flat base/pan version. It also felt like it had a wide seat back, so good for comfort, but not good for wanting to be felt slightly hugged by the seat and kept in place. I don't think this seat would be an improvement over the Competition seats.

For fun I also tried a cheap OMP Style seat. That thing is huge in terms of width and I wasn't secured in it at all.

The Cobra Misano seems like it should fit me well from the measurements, but once again has harness passthroughs that are too low for what I wanted.
Thanks for the in depth information! duly noted!! Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:48 AM   #9
nando_514
Private
Rep
Drives: None

I'm interested in where this thread goes as well! I've been lucky enough to sit passenger, and even drive other M2's on track with a few different seat options (fixed and reclinable), so I'll chime in with what I know. For reference, I'm 5'10, 195lbs and 33-34 waist.. So like a pretty generic default human lol

The Recaro Sportster seats feel very sturdy and well-built-- super quality pieces! They hold you well up top (shoulders), but lower lumbar and hip/leg support still leave a little to be desired. As with any reclinable seat, they will inherently lack in this area to be able to recline and have some semblance of comfort. The seat bottoms are less "spring-y" than the OG, or even the Comp seats, making kerb engagement much easier to feel through your butt. However, my BIGGEST gripe with these seats is that they sit slightly higher than OEM seats at their lowest setting. Without a helmet, it's fine. You can tell you're sitting higher when driving around, but it's no big deal. It isn't until you when you strap on a helmet that you realize your head comes really close to touching the roof. In fact, you can even feel it touching if you tilt or stretch your neck. For some people, this wont matter, but if you plan on doing track time, it can be a mild inconvenience. For reference, the Sportsters were on BK mounts and OEM M2 power sliders

They're clearly a more "sport" oriented seat than OEM options. The ability to quickly access the back seats is a huge plus for the reclinable option. They hold you decently well, but I think it's a bit of a fools errand to find seats comparable to the feeling of being in a fixed bucket seat. One of things that make a fixed bucket seat so engaging is that fact that it's designed to hold you in. How you get out isn't much of a concern for engineers lol.

It all depends on what you find value in honestly. The Sportsters look amazing and would be a great option for someone that wants the looks of sport seat. However, in my humble opinion, I find it hard to justify the cost if you already have Comp seats. The "additional" support you "gain" is negligible. The main difference I can feel is the spring in the seat bottoms. I never really felt more stable or more in control of my body's lateral movements than being in an OEM seat

Hopefully this helps or gives you something useful to consider! FWIW, I've never heard anyone complain about a Recaro Pole Position
Appreciate 3
inTgr8r2431.50
Tes109.00
      01-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #10
KHAP13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

You could consider the Recaro Pole Position ABE. Slightly different than the FIA version, it is made to also accept 3-point belt without the need for the lap belt to incorrectly go over the seat bolsters. I think support is great on track, even without a harness, and they are also extremely comfortable on the road (aside from getting in and out). Also very easy to swap stock seats back and forth.

Here is a link to the Recaro website. https://www.recaro-automotive.com/en...60d4414a195e16
Attached Images

Last edited by KHAP13; 01-06-2022 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Add Picture
Appreciate 1
Tes109.00
      01-07-2022, 12:26 AM   #11
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Why not just grab a set of quick fit pro harnesses to install for autocross? They do plenty well holding me in place on the track with OEM seats.
Appreciate 2
Tes109.00
RyanBMW463.00
      01-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #12
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Why not just grab a set of quick fit pro harnesses to install for autocross? They do plenty well holding me in place on the track with OEM seats.
Haha you read my mind. Yea I found the thread about the harness yesterday and ordered a set of Quickfit pros for the E82/92! Super excited!!
Appreciate 1
detroitm22428.50
      01-07-2022, 05:05 PM   #13
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAP13 View Post
You could consider the Recaro Pole Position ABE. Slightly different than the FIA version, it is made to also accept 3-point belt without the need for the lap belt to incorrectly go over the seat bolsters. I think support is great on track, even without a harness, and they are also extremely comfortable on the road (aside from getting in and out). Also very easy to swap stock seats back and forth.

Here is a link to the Recaro website. https://www.recaro-automotive.com/en...60d4414a195e16
Looks great. This was/is my exact plan for this year. Snagged the Schroth quick fit first as I had a track event sneak up on me.

Who’s the best vendor for these?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 07:47 PM   #14
KHAP13
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
Looks great. This was/is my exact plan for this year. Snagged the Schroth quick fit first as I had a track event sneak up on me.

Who’s the best vendor for these?

I not sure if there there are solid local options, but I got these upholstered by AMX Performance and bought the seats from Atomic Shop at the Nürburgring.

https://amx-performance.com/
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      01-10-2022, 12:14 PM   #15
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAP13 View Post
I not sure if there there are solid local options, but I got these upholstered by AMX Performance and bought the seats from Atomic Shop at the Nürburgring.

https://amx-performance.com/
Excellent option - but man their lead time was a long ways out when I contacted them a couple of months ago. Wonder if it has gotten any better - they quoted me 5 months at that time.

What mount/slider are you using with them?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:30 PM   #16
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

His shit has seat heaters ‘n er’thang! Just perfection.

He told me via PM he’s got the recipe on mount/sliders/belt mounts so I’m anxious to see the recipe myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:06 AM   #17
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I've had the Recaro Sportster CS seats for about 8 months now and around 12-14 track days. I've also done 2 long round trips (one to Thunderhill which is 675 miles one way and another to Buttonwillow that is around 1000 miles one way). I'm around 6' tall and 165 lbs. I find these seats just about perfect for track use (supportive) and road use (adjustable and super comfy).

[IMG]https://media.fotki.com/2v2a395NNxu6LVA.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
Tes109.00
      01-12-2022, 09:18 PM   #18
KHAP13
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Excellent option - but man their lead time was a long ways out when I contacted them a couple of months ago. Wonder if it has gotten any better - they quoted me 5 months at that time.

What mount/slider are you using with them?
I am using OEM manual seat rail sliders that I bought used and paired it with 55parts side adapters. The OEM rails are rock solid and the seating position of the 55parts side adapters are fantastic.

Fortunately, with AMX Performance I met up with him in Germany, so the lead time wasn’t bad.

I also bought duplicate wire harness from, seat belt buckle, and emulators so swapping seats is easy. No need for coding out SRS errors or removing anything from the stock seat except the grey module.

https://55parts.de/collections/m-mod...-seitenadapter
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Tes109.00
      01-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #19
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Thought I’d mention this here for the OP and anyone else….

I added Schroth Quick-Fit Pro harnesses and it couldn’t have made a bigger difference.

I no longer feel that seats are a need. Start with harnesses if you’re in an OG where they’ll work, and you’ll likely find you get the effect you were after with seats from the harnes alone.

The first time I got to completely ‘hang’ from the shoulder straps during hard breaking into a hairpin was when I realized how much more focused I was as a result of them. Same thing applies to sweepers where you’re locked in and not smooshed into your door. Game changer.

Last edited by Wolfman’s Brother; 01-22-2022 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tes109.00
      01-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #20
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Thought I’d mention this hear for the OP and anyone else….

I added Schroth Quick-Fit Pro harnesses and it couldn’t have made a bigger difference.

I no longer feel that seats are a need. Start with harnesses if you’re in an OG where they’ll work, and you’ll likely find you get the effect you were after with seats from the harnes alone.

The first time I got to completely ‘hang’ from the shoulder straps during hard breaking into a hairpin was when I realized how much more focused I was as a result of them. Same thing applies to sweepers where you’re locked in and not smooshed into your door. Game changer.
Another tip for the OG seats - flip the headrests around backwards... much better head/helmet position. And there is an pretty easy way to get them back out but I'll let everyone figure that out on their own
Appreciate 2
Tes109.00
      01-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #21
nando_514
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Another tip for the OG seats - flip the headrests around backwards... much better head/helmet position. And there is an pretty easy way to get them back out but I'll let everyone figure that out on their own
Holy crap this was genius, thank you! I tried it last night in the garage and it feels so much better on my neck
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #22
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thought I’d mention this hear for the OP and anyone else….

I need to know this trick. Mine has been stuck in the backward position for two years now
Appreciate 0