BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > CAE Shift 2021 M2C

06-05-2022, 06:37 PM   #1
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

CAE Shift 2021 M2C

Recent development - CAE shifter has been great but after a recent shop visit I noticed the shifter felt pretty hard to shift. It seems to want to pop out of 3 or 4th unless im pretty forceful with my shifting. No grinding but it does seem like something is up with the shifter.

I did look up maintenance and bought the wursh oil they recommend but still havent the same issue. Anything else I need to check?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
Recent development - CAE shifter has been great but after a recent shop visit I noticed the shifter felt pretty hard to shift. It seems to want to pop out of 3 or 4th unless im pretty forceful with my shifting. No grinding but it does seem like something is up with the shifter.

I did look up maintenance and bought the wursh oil they recommend but still havent the same issue. Anything else I need to check?
Sounds misaligned. I'd check the DSSR and work through the fitment procedure. Shouldn't pop out of gear or be any more challenging to shift.
      06-05-2022, 07:51 PM   #3
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:

Sounds misaligned. I'd check the DSSR and work through the fitment procedure. Shouldn't pop out of gear or be any more challenging to shift.
Would messing with any rear suspension cause it to misalign? It has worked flawlessly for 3k plus miles and after it was in the shop with the rear SPL bits going in as soon as I got in the car something was off about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would messing with any rear suspension cause it to misalign? It has worked flawlessly for 3k plus miles and after it was in the shop with the rear SPL bits going in as soon as I got in the car something was off about it.
No. My bet is the shifter dssr link rod alignment slipped or the whole shifter assembly shifted. The shifter is hitting the transmission tunnel chassis and pushing out of gear.
      06-05-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No. My bet is the shifter dssr link rod alignment slipped or the whole shifter assembly shifted. The shifter is hitting the transmission tunnel chassis and pushing out of gear.
It's happening in 3rd/4th. I didn't notice it popping out of gear until I was on the track. It was mainly 4th and one specific turn. I thought maybe I was lazy shifting. I'll go back through it again this week to get it realigned. It's not typical these slip right?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a video of it happening. Disregard the guy on the right. He faded his brakes and wasn't able to stop so he broke line and pointed me by. I was already slowing down because I could feel the panic coming from his car.

I was in fourth under heavy braking, you can hear it pop out of gear, grind a little bit on the gate and then make a pretty big noise when going back into gear.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx7UTTXEX...FwMY8tM5z62-wM
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 08:32 AM   #7
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

It's at the shop now. Under the car it appears everything is in place. They're pulling it now to figure out where the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:46 PM   #8
Simon P.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C, Bend tuned via Ecutek

Are you on the stock trany mounts? If so look into swapping them out for stiffer ones, the stock stuff lets the trany move quite a bit which could be the cause of your issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #9
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon P. View Post
Are you on the stock trany mounts? If so look into swapping them out for stiffer ones, the stock stuff lets the trany move quite a bit which could be the cause of your issue.
So strange turn of events

They took it apart from under the car and couldn't find anything. The stock trans mounts looked like they ok. Regardless I had them put in the revshift green mounts I ordered. I'm wondering if my previous shop just didn't have it aligned the right way where it was able to shift over time.

Because when they put it back together it was fixed :

The new shop was very upfront about them not doing anything except for taking it apart for diagnostics and spray a good amount of wursh on the dssr.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 07:57 AM   #10
Simon P.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C, Bend tuned via Ecutek

Quote:
Regardless I had them put in the revshift green mounts I ordered. .
Keep an eye out on those Revshift mounts, I've snapped the studs on both the black (street) and green (race) mounts. In the end I went with Rogue mounts, they are a bit more compliant than the Revshift ones but they haven't snapped on me yet.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      06-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #11
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

They took it apart from under the car and couldn't find anything. The stock trans mounts looked like they ok. Regardless I had them put in the revshift green mounts I ordered. I'm wondering if my previous shop just didn't have it aligned the right way where it was able to shift over time.

Because when they put it back together it was fixed :

The new shop was very upfront about them not doing anything except for taking it apart for diagnostics and spray a good amount of wursh on the dssr.
The new CAE are "drill free" and use a plate vs bolting directly to the chassis. I'm thinking the shifter assembly moved such that the arm bumped to edge of the trans tunnel hole not allowing it to fully engage the gear. But 🤷🏻*♂️
      06-23-2022, 11:18 AM   #12
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Keep an eye out on those Revshift mounts, I've snapped the studs on both the black (street) and green (race) mounts. In the end I went with Rogue mounts, they are a bit more compliant than the Revshift ones but they haven't snapped on me yet.
Will do. OG Shark good thing to note on the revshift mounts
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      06-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #13
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Good heads up

Quote:
The new CAE are "drill free" and use a plate vs bolting directly to the chassis. I'm thinking the shifter assembly moved such that the arm bumped to edge of the trans tunnel hole not allowing it to fully engage the gear. But 🤷🏻*♂️
That's what the one we worked on today did. Doesn't take much movement at all to throw them out of whack.
Appreciate 0