BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Dealer unable to connect to iDrive ECU (Hu Headunit?)

08-04-2020, 06:41 AM   #1
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Dealer unable to connect to iDrive ECU (Hu Headunit?)

I have my '17 M2 LCI (warranty for another month) in at the dealer for a rear indicator failure and asked them to check the iDrive system as it would freeze occasionally, especially when switching from Nav to Media after driving for about 15-20 minutes or so. As part of the diagnosis, I had to underwrite a cost of £170/hr (min 1 hour) for diagnostic time, if it was found to be a user issue.
I just received a call from the service advisor (SA) saying the tech is unable to communicate with the iDrive ECU and they suspect a blackbox or an after market part has been fitted that could cause this (previous owners kept the car stock, and it was AFAIK). There's two options, I either let me continue the diagnosis and foot up to 3 hrs worth of diagnostic time (labour charges?) and if then they seem the unit is faulty, warranty covers it and if not, I foot the bill or I cough up the 1hr already spent and call it a day (leaning towards this).
Their diagnostic machine was used previously, so that is working fine.
I have used Bimmercode to make changes to iDrive, like get rid of the start up warning etc previously, but haven't mentioned this to the SA.
Would the diagnostic computer be connecting to the same ECU as bimmercode or would it be a different one? Due to the current COVID situation, they won't let me speak to the service tech. I'm picking the car up tomorrow, so hoping to try my luck at speaking to the tech!

If nothing further works out, can I use ISTA+ to update the iDrive etc. myself? The car is under warranty for another month, and I'm not a 100% yet if I want to extend it further.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Can they read any of the other ecu's in the car? I would suspect if there is a aftermarket module on the canbus then they wouldn't be able to read any ecu. Not just isolated to the iDrive
      08-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

That's my argument as well! I'm hoping to dispute this tomorrow with them. I imagine they were able to read other ones because they validated the faulty rear light cluster for the indicators via a stored fault. I also had no issues with Bimmercode connecting, so I'll see if the tech is game to try it again
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:41 AM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The previous owner probably installed an ASD bypass harness, I've heard about this before..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26518066
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:23 AM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryPuff View Post
I have my '17 M2 LCI (warranty for another month) in at the dealer for a rear indicator failure and asked them to check the iDrive system as it would freeze occasionally, especially when switching from Nav to Media after driving for about 15-20 minutes or so. As part of the diagnosis, I had to underwrite a cost of £170/hr (min 1 hour) for diagnostic time, if it was found to be a user issue.
I just received a call from the service advisor (SA) saying the tech is unable to communicate with the iDrive ECU and they suspect a blackbox or an after market part has been fitted that could cause this (previous owners kept the car stock, and it was AFAIK). There's two options, I either let me continue the diagnosis and foot up to 3 hrs worth of diagnostic time (labour charges?) and if then they seem the unit is faulty, warranty covers it and if not, I foot the bill or I cough up the 1hr already spent and call it a day (leaning towards this).
Their diagnostic machine was used previously, so that is working fine.
I have used Bimmercode to make changes to iDrive, like get rid of the start up warning etc previously, but haven't mentioned this to the SA.
Would the diagnostic computer be connecting to the same ECU as bimmercode or would it be a different one? Due to the current COVID situation, they won't let me speak to the service tech. I'm picking the car up tomorrow, so hoping to try my luck at speaking to the tech!

If nothing further works out, can I use ISTA+ to update the iDrive etc. myself? The car is under warranty for another month, and I'm not a 100% yet if I want to extend it further.
What are the mods you have done to your car, please list every thing related or not related to the canbus. This is the only way we can help you make a diagnosis.

If you have ISTA I would recommend doing a scan of your car to see if you can connect, and potentially show any errors.

Next I do not recommend you flash or update the car at home without being extremely familiar with coding, flashing and the involved softwares otherwise you can completely brick your car. The next thing you need to note is that if you flash you need a power supply, not any old generic one, but a microprocessor controlled power supply that can monitor voltage and charging current to your car and modulate how much power it outputs. Those things tend to run in the $1k range, or you can diy a server power supply which can do the same job. The last thing you need to note is that you can flash with ISTA but it probably is better to do it via ESYS instead, it is a lighter software and easier to run on your laptop. But you need to address any connectivity issues before even attempting to flash.
      08-06-2020, 03:26 AM   #6
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

Thank ya'll for the reply!
I don't think the previous owner had an ASD bypass harness as I disabled ASD via Bimmercode and noticed a difference in cabin noise in regards to exhaust when driving on the freeway and burbles in general.
However, I'll double check this today.

In terms of mods:
- Used Bimmercode to code out a few things, like ASD, auto start stop disabled by default, start up warning on iDrive, B&O sound settings and after picking up the car yesterday, coded out the camera warning when putting the car in reverse, so Bimmercode is definitely connecting to the HU_NBT unit.
- Instrument cluster speed emulator: this uses gps data to display speed on the instrument cluster. This is the only thing I can think of that is remotely connected to the HU in any way, although, it is read-only and installed on the instrument cluster. I'll be removing this and checking.
- Braided brake lines.

I downloaded ISTA on a laptop, so I'll try to connect it to the car today to see if I can connect to the modules. Reading more in to this, I won't be updating the car because of the need of a proper Aux power and the investment it'll need.
If I can't see the module, I'll remove the speed display emulator and try after that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:27 AM   #7
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The previous owner probably installed an ASD bypass harness, I've heard about this before..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26518066
Happy to be proven wrong but my understanding is the bypass harness just loops the speaker wires but the module and all other "functional" wires are not changed. This shouldn't affect a read/update.
      08-06-2020, 03:34 AM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thank ya'll for the reply!
I don't think the previous owner had an ASD bypass harness as I disabled ASD via Bimmercode and noticed a difference in cabin noise in regards to exhaust when driving on the freeway and burbles in general.
However, I'll double check this today.

In terms of mods:
- Used Bimmercode to code out a few things, like ASD, auto start stop disabled by default, start up warning on iDrive, B&O sound settings and after picking up the car yesterday, coded out the camera warning when putting the car in reverse, so Bimmercode is definitely connecting to the HU_NBT unit.
- Instrument cluster speed emulator: this uses gps data to display speed on the instrument cluster. This is the only thing I can think of that is remotely connected to the HU in any way, although, it is read-only and installed on the instrument cluster. I'll be removing this and checking.
- Braided brake lines.

I downloaded ISTA on a laptop, so I'll try to connect it to the car today to see if I can connect to the modules. Reading more in to this, I won't be updating the car because of the need of a proper Aux power and the investment it'll need.
If I can't see the module, I'll remove the speed display emulator and try after that.
Did you code the car back to stock before visiting the dealer?

If not - to avoid a dealer fee, try scanning the car with ISTA with the coding still on the car, and with the coding removed.
      08-06-2020, 03:44 AM   #9
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

No, I left the car as is, because AFAIK, Bimmercode changes are temp and get overwritten if the module is updated. I lose my favourites everytime I update HU_NBT via Bimmercode.

That's exactly what I want to do, start as is for a baseline and work backwards to see where I gain connectivity by coding out/return to normal on different modules.

FWIW, I also changed the hard stop flashing of the rear lights and the velocity they activate at and this didn't stop the dealer reading codes out for a faulty rear right light cluster and they replaced it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:50 AM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No, I left the car as is, because AFAIK, Bimmercode changes are temp and get overwritten if the module is updated. I lose my favourites everytime I update HU_NBT via Bimmercode.

That's exactly what I want to do, start as is for a baseline and work backwards to see where I gain connectivity by coding out/return to normal on different modules.

FWIW, I also changed the hard stop flashing of the rear lights and the velocity they activate at and this didn't stop the dealer reading codes out for a faulty rear right light cluster and they replaced it under warranty.
Yes bimmer code only makes changes that are already available in the ecu, turning features that are already present on and off. So in practice this should not interfere with anything the dealer may want to scan or connect with. Unless of course you are making changes to the FA via esys and that can cause issues, but since bimmercode can only do FDL coding this isn't a concern.

But I would always recommend coding back to stock before going to the dealer. Otherwise I am not sure why your car is not connecting properly. Do you have any after market sound systems, usb devices, aftermarket fsc codes (life time map upgrades, apple car play etc), or tuning devices that interact with the obd2 port of canbus?
      08-06-2020, 05:03 AM   #11
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

Edit: there's nothing after market installed on the car at all! What perplexes me is I can connect to the modules via Bimmercode without any issues.
So, I tried connecting IFTA+ to the car and can see the VIN number and the vehicle (albeit the colour is wrong :|), but when I click to connect to the vehicle, I get an error saying 'Vehicle could not be identified. Please check the access to the vehicle and check whether the testing-analysis-doagnosis has been activated."
I'm trying to read up more on the error. Not sure if the copy of IFTA I have is incorrect :S. I downloaded it from here
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 05:08 AM   #12
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

I should also mention, the photos are using Parallels on a Mac above, but I tried with a windows laptop and had the same error.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 05:28 AM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Edit: there's nothing after market installed on the car at all! What perplexes me is I can connect to the modules via Bimmercode without any issues.
So, I tried connecting IFTA+ to the car and can see the VIN number and the vehicle (albeit the colour is wrong :|), but when I click to connect to the vehicle, I get an error saying 'Vehicle could not be identified. Please check the access to the vehicle and check whether the testing-analysis-doagnosis has been activated."
I'm trying to read up more on the error. Not sure if the copy of IFTA I have is incorrect :S. I downloaded it from here
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Did you code it back to stock and try?

I got my copy of ISTA+ from shawnsheridan with the full PSZDATA files.

If you code it back to stock and it still does not work, then try ESYS to see if that can connect and make changes. Because I'm thinking you might need to reflash the car with a new ISTEP, but before then you could try doing a restoration by using the "code" feature on the top node of the svt ecu tree and reset the whole car back to stock. You will need a battery charger for this.
      08-06-2020, 05:52 AM   #14
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Did you code it back to stock and try?

I got my copy of ISTA+ from shawnsheridan with the full PSZDATA files.

If you code it back to stock and it still does not work, then try ESYS to see if that can connect and make changes. Because I'm thinking you might need to reflash the car with a new ISTEP, but before then you could try doing a restoration by using the "code" feature on the top node of the svt ecu tree and reset the whole car back to stock. You will need a battery charger for this.
I haven't tried it yet. Would you have a link to the download handy? I did a quick google and can see the files for ISTA P on vmWare.
I found a newer version of ISTA, from April-May this year that I'm downloading to try.

The freezing on the iDrive isn't a huge deal, so I'm contemplating just leaving the flashing side of things alone. The car's running fine as well, so there's no need as such. It's just the 'why isn't it working and let me see if I can get it work' part of the brain that's making me tinker more + FOMO of the newer ISTEP that has a better steering feel etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 05:56 AM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I haven't tried it yet. Would you have a link to the download handy? I did a quick google and can see the files for ISTA P on vmWare.
I found a newer version of ISTA, from April-May this year that I'm downloading to try.

The freezing on the iDrive isn't a huge deal, so I'm contemplating just leaving the flashing side of things alone. The car's running fine as well, so there's no need as such. It's just the 'why isn't it working and let me see if I can get it work' part of the brain that's making me tinker more + FOMO of the newer ISTEP that has a better steering feel etc.
No the links have expired for me. Contact shawn for more info.

IMO I would try to get this sorted out while still under warranty, especially since I have seen frozen and laggy head units replaced in the past, and trust me those things are so expensive I would not want to foot the bill myself.

If you do reflash a new ISTEP you can always code steering response in the EPS module to something you like. For me I also have a 2017 m2 with the newest ISTEP and I have coded f87cs steering which imo feels amazing. It is alot lighter than stock but has incredible feel and none of the dead spot in the middle or center seeking pull of stock or f87gts which is too artificially heavy imo.

Anyways that is besides the point, but my advice is to try and fix this issue while you still have warranty.
      08-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #16
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
IMO I would try to get this sorted out while still under warranty, especially since I have seen frozen and laggy head units replaced in the past, and trust me those things are so expensive I would not want to foot the bill myself.

If you do reflash a new ISTEP you can always code steering response in the EPS module to something you like. For me I also have a 2017 m2 with the newest ISTEP and I have coded f87cs steering which imo feels amazing. It is alot lighter than stock but has incredible feel and none of the dead spot in the middle or center seeking pull of stock or f87gts which is too artificially heavy imo.
This makes sense. I'll try with this other version of ISTA, if this doesn't work, I'll try the ESYS route to try and connect to the car. Flashing to stock can only be done via ISTA and not via ESYS, correct?

My only hesitation is the dealership is asking to me write off ~£600, in case they physically access the DME and the find a user issue. They've already charged £140 for diagnosis since they couldn't connect to the HU ECU (this became a customer fault, until I prove the car hasn't been tampered with, but I need to pay for them to check it out). The chances of something coming up user related is very low and if it's a faulty DME, they'll cover it under warranty. It's just the small chance of coughing up another £600 is putting me off and the whole experience with the dealership has left a sour taste. The SA says they need these costs to be approved by the customer prior to works commencing, which I understand, but the tech who worked on the car just refused to talk to me yesterday. The response from the tech was 'send us an email, so everything is in writing' and this was conveyed to me by another person.
Had a similar thing back home in Australia, but the techs were super nice and just hooked up the car and came back and said we can't update XYZ due to after market stuff, but feel free to remove it and we can update it. This was during a service though.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:31 AM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This makes sense. I'll try with this other version of ISTA, if this doesn't work, I'll try the ESYS route to try and connect to the car. Flashing to stock can only be done via ISTA and not via ESYS, correct?

My only hesitation is the dealership is asking to me write off ~£600, in case they physically access the DME and the find a user issue. They've already charged £140 for diagnosis since they couldn't connect to the HU ECU (this became a customer fault, until I prove the car hasn't been tampered with, but I need to pay for them to check it out). The chances of something coming up user related is very low and if it's a faulty DME, they'll cover it under warranty. It's just the small chance of coughing up another £600 is putting me off and the whole experience with the dealership has left a sour taste. The SA says they need these costs to be approved by the customer prior to works commencing, which I understand, but the tech who worked on the car just refused to talk to me yesterday. The response from the tech was 'send us an email, so everything is in writing' and this was conveyed to me by another person.
Had a similar thing back home in Australia, but the techs were super nice and just hooked up the car and came back and said we can't update XYZ due to after market stuff, but feel free to remove it and we can update it. This was during a service though.
No, ESYS can code the car back to stock or flash a new istep. Ista can only flash a new istep. Think of esys as bimmercode on steroids with the ability to flash like ista.

What I suggested was if esys can still connect and interact with your car you can use it to code the car back to stock. But make sure you know what you're doing so you don't use code default which wipes the car to a blank slate and completely bricks it. You will also need a launcher to fdl code, but it's not necessary to code back to stock which is what I think you should try. Please make sure you're familiar with this software before doing anything.

Yeah it sucks that you'd had to pay. Ok my advice would be to get ista working for you, because if it's working for you it will work for them, and whether you choose to have the I drive display fixed is up to you. But you should get the interface working while under warranty just incase.
      08-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #18
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, ESYS can code the car back to stock or flash a new istep. Ista can only flash a new istep. Think of esys as bimmercode on steroids with the ability to flash like ista.

What I suggested was if esys can still connect and interact with your car you can use it to code the car back to stock. But make sure you know what you're doing so you don't use code default which wipes the car to a blank slate and completely bricks it. You will also need a launcher to fdl code, but it's not necessary to code back to stock which is what I think you should try. Please make sure you're familiar with this software before doing anything.

Yeah it sucks that you'd had to pay. Ok my advice would be to get ista working for you, because if it's working for you it will work for them, and whether you choose to have the I drive display fixed is up to you. But you should get the interface working while under warranty just incase.
Thanks for the clarification on ESYS. That's my goal, make sure I can have ISTA working. Worst case, I might take it to someone that knows what they are doing with it. This would be far cheaper than a bricked car + peace of mind!
Lastly, if in future, I decide to go down ESYS route to restore/make changes myself, would I still need the 70A Aux PSU or would a normal battery charger be fine? For ISTA, I understand I'll need a proper PSU and considering the pricing for them, it's not worth the investment for me since I'll be moving back to Australia in another year or 2!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #19
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

Got ISTA working! i installed a new version from here. This has everything and there's no faffing about with unblock reg files etc. and worked like a charm, first try.

The car connected fine and I could connect to the different ECUs, including HU-H. The only errors present were ASD, which has been coded out via Bimmercode & something on the Kombi because of the speed limit info emulator (this is a non existent code).

My dilema now is do I share this info with the dealer and the tech, saying I can connect to the DME via ISTA+ without any issues and share the photos? Since they'll have this in writing, I don't want them or BMW to come and use it against me!

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
MR RIZK757.50
      08-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #20
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

You can always get them to retest and see where it lands. When they say still doesn't work whip out the laptop and prove that it does.

I don't think you have much choice and it's not like you are changing anything. Just proving the connection works.