BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Anyone else at port?

07-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #45
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
So an update:

My car departed Germany yesterday on the "Global Highway" on its way to the States.

Originally, I signed up to have the car delivered for PCD in Charleston. However, last week I changed it to port of NY. Looking at the ship schedule it does not land in port if NY. Instead, boat is scheduled to arrive in Charleston on 8/13. My question is will BMW divert and have my car offloaded in Baltimore instead? Versus offloading in Charleston and then training it up to the NE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDONE View Post
Mine is also on that vessel. I'm going to Charleston for PCD. BMW customer relations and your CA should be able to tell you your vehicle's port of entry and estimated date.
Quote:
Yep, I did call BMW genius and they said it will land in the port of NY on 8/13. But I believe the system has not updated as I looked at the ship's schedule and on 8/13, it will arrive at the port of Charleston. Anyways, we shall see, nothing I can do about it at this point.

Looks like I missed the cutoff to call BMW and get to a real person. Did either of your status online change? Mine is still saying at the port and its been sitting since 7/3. Hoping mine made that boat as well!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #46
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackday_chuck View Post
Quote:
So an update:

My car departed Germany yesterday on the "Global Highway" on its way to the States.

Originally, I signed up to have the car delivered for PCD in Charleston. However, last week I changed it to port of NY. Looking at the ship schedule it does not land in port if NY. Instead, boat is scheduled to arrive in Charleston on 8/13. My question is will BMW divert and have my car offloaded in Baltimore instead? Versus offloading in Charleston and then training it up to the NE?
Quote:
Mine is also on that vessel. I'm going to Charleston for PCD. BMW customer relations and your CA should be able to tell you your vehicle's port of entry and estimated date.
Quote:
Yep, I did call BMW genius and they said it will land in the port of NY on 8/13. But I believe the system has not updated as I looked at the ship's schedule and on 8/13, it will arrive at the port of Charleston. Anyways, we shall see, nothing I can do about it at this point.

Looks like I missed the cutoff to call BMW and get to a real person. Did either of your status online change? Mine is still saying at the port and its been sitting since 7/3. Hoping mine made that boat as well!
Yep, status changed pretty quickly. Yesterday, it was at Port when I checked and today, voila!

Good luck!
      07-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #47
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, status changed pretty quickly. Yesterday, it was at Port when I checked and today, voila!

Good luck!
Dangit!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #48
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep

So I called BMW today to ask whats up with the car. They confirmed its been sitting at the port since 7/3 and had no additional info as to when it'll be on a boat or why its taken 3+ weeks. The only info they had was that "sitting for 3+ weeks is not typical but with Covid things are out of schedule and they are still trying to get things back on schedule".

Hope it makes it on a boat soon...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #49
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:
So I called BMW today to ask whats up with the car. They confirmed its been sitting at the port since 7/3 and had no additional info as to when it'll be on a boat or why its taken 3+ weeks. The only info they had was that "sitting for 3+ weeks is not typical but with Covid things are out of schedule and they are still trying to get things back on schedule".

Wow! I am sorry you're experiencing that delay. I know how you feel; it's frustrating. Mine was at the port for almost 3 weeks, but it is now on a vessel in the English Channel. Let's hope yours gets on a ship this week. Are you heading to performance center or dealer? I'm doing PCD, but date is not yet assigned due to "holds" on M2C that should get cleared while mine is at sea.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #50
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2020 m2c

Garage List
Quote:

That does suck, 24 days for east coast-bound vehicle? I thought it was just the west coast-bound ships that were backed up. And I also thought direct orders were priority 1, so would bump others bound for dealers. But I had a similar experience - my car was at port for > 2 weeks and a west coast-bound ship came and left without her. But she did catch the next one, so I'm sure that'll happen for you as well.

And of course, you at least have a shorter journey across the pond!

The Monoceros Leader arrived at the Atlantic side anchorage of the Panama Canal on 7/25 and finally started motoring through today. It's kind of cool watching the voyage on marinetraffic.com, as the big ship motors across Gatun Lake, toward the Pacific.

I was bummed that she passed through the locks on the Atlantic side at 2 AM last night my time, so I couldn't watch it. But it should hit the Cocoli Locks in the next hour or two, and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the webcam.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 01:46 PM   #51
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow! I am sorry you're experiencing that delay. I know how you feel; it's frustrating. Mine was at the port for almost 3 weeks, but it is now on a vessel in the English Channel. Let's hope yours gets on a ship this week. Are you heading to performance center or dealer? I'm doing PCD, but date is not yet assigned due to "holds" on M2C that should get cleared while mine is at sea.
I'm doing a dealer delivery in PA.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #52
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My vessel goes to Baltimore, Brunswick, Jacksonville, and Charleston after leaving Southampton. I imagine you'll be on the next one with a stop in Newark.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #53
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok, so now I'm obsessing, circled above is the Monoceros Leader. This shot was captured from the webcam at the Miraflores locks, looking out at the channel of water that is actually feeding the Cocoli locks. There is a separate webcam at Cocoli, will be watching that in a few minutes, and then shortly after Monoceros Leader will be in the Pacific Ocean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #54
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My vessel goes to Baltimore, Brunswick, Jacksonville, and Charleston after leaving Southampton. I imagine you'll be on the next one with a stop in Newark.
I think we're both on "Global Highway". I called BMW Genius today and they said the next stop is Charleston. They also said the ship will be making a stop at the Port of Jersey.

Now, I agree with your schedule you have listed. But the Genius I spoke to was adamant that the schedule we see is incorrect...
      07-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #55
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Monoceros Leader going through the 2nd of 3 locks, another half hour and she'll be free to sail on to Lazaro Cardenos, MX, and then from there to Port Hueneme.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #56
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think we're both on "Global Highway". I called BMW Genius today and they said the next stop is Charleston. They also said the ship will be making a stop at the Port of Jersey.

Now, I agree with your schedule you have listed. But the Genius I spoke to was adamant that the schedule we see is incorrect...
Usually, Charleston is last stop in USA since they'll want the ship empty so they can load all the vehicles for export while in Charleston. It's possible that K-Line may change their itinerary, but usually the only thing that changes is the dates (due to delays). I have not ever heard of additional ports added while at sea, and it would be nearly impossible to access and unload a specific vehicle at a new port since the vehicles are parked very tightly on the vessel.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #57
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

My European delivery journey is finally over. Never made it to Munich and took delivery at my dealer today.
Attached Images

'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      07-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #58
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN' View Post
My European delivery journey is finally over. Never made it to Munich and took delivery at my dealer today.
Sorry, you never got to ED with your M2C. But at least you can have fun cruising days ahead! And that I8 is not bad. Curious why you went with a M2C with that beast in your garage?

Also, BSM is an amazing and rare color in the M2C realm. I applaud you sir!
      07-27-2020, 09:20 PM   #59
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN' View Post
Sorry, you never got to ED with your M2C. But at least you can have fun cruising days ahead! And that I8 is not bad. Curious why you went with a M2C with that beast in your garage?

Also, BSM is an amazing and rare color in the M2C realm. I applaud you sir!
Thanks. Drove a 530e for my daily driver the last 3 years. Was originally going to get an M4 but after driving the M2 on the track I was really impressed with it and I don't need all the bells and whistles that the M4 comes with as I have those in the i8 and my X5. It's not a ridiculously expensive car so I don't look like I'm showing off (I hope) when I have to meet clients etc. but it's fun to drive. I'll drive it summers and into the fall and if something better comes along from BMW I'll add that to the stable. Waiting to see what the i4 actually looks like as I think that would make a nice daily driver for me so I can turn the M2 into a track car.
Had an E39 M5 in BSM 20 years ago so seemed fitting for the M2.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #60
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Usually, Charleston is last stop in USA since they'll want the ship empty so they can load all the vehicles for export while in Charleston. It's possible that K-Line may change their itinerary, but usually the only thing that changes is the dates (due to delays). I have not ever heard of additional ports added while at sea, and it would be nearly impossible to access and unload a specific vehicle at a new port since the vehicles are parked very tightly on the vessel.
Just to follow up, we're right (not surprised) and the genius was wrong. I guess BMW was not able to load my vehicle into the Baltimore offloading group. Thus it is going to Charleston and then training it to my dealer in the NE.

I wonder for PCD if BMWNA also put the cars on a train and ship them to Spartanburg? That way, it's just a straight shot on the original route, but instead of my car getting off in SC, it continues forward.
      07-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #61
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just to follow up, we're right (not surprised) and the genius was wrong. I guess BMW was not able to load my vehicle into the Baltimore offloading group. Thus it is going to Charleston and then training it to my dealer in the NE.

I wonder for PCD if BMWNA also put the cars on a train and ship them to Spartanburg? That way, it's just a straight shot on the original route, but instead of my car getting off in SC, it continues forward.
The Port of Charleston has an inland port in Greer with rail line between the ships and inland port. Those tracks take the vehicles for export down to the ships and the imported vehicles to the inland port before their next stop at bmw vpc.
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      07-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #62
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Port of Charleston has an inland port in Greer with rail line between the ships and inland port. Those tracks take the vehicles for export down to the ships and the imported vehicles to the inland port before their next stop at bmw vpc.
Good to know, bummer my car will require another train and truck ride to my dealership
      07-31-2020, 02:38 PM   #63
Red2296
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
Quote:

Mine too has been confirmed as arriving at the port 7/3. I'm in the same boat as you, still waiting at the port for a ship to be assigned. Taking delivery in VA. Hopefully ship assignment will happen very soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #64
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2296 View Post
Mine too has been confirmed as arriving at the port 7/3. I'm in the same boat as you, still waiting at the port for a ship to be assigned. Taking delivery in VA. Hopefully ship assignment will happen very soon!

Looks like the Kline Orion Highway is in port loading now. Supposed to be in Baltimore August 20-21. Hoping we both make it on that ship!
Appreciate 2
ADDONE230.00
Red229627.00
      08-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #65
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2296 View Post
Check online, did you get bumped to "In Transit"? Mine switched this morning!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #66
Red2296
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Check online, did you get bumped to "In Transit"? Mine switched this morning!
I did as well! My sale associate just texted me the ships name is the Glovis "Grand Hero." I'm assuming we will be on the same ship if i had to guess based on both of us receiving the "in transit" status!
Appreciate 0