BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple Carplay topics

12-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #661
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Well basically you could walk into your dealer and let him update your headunit and voilà.
Will give the dealer a buzz in the morning. I'm due for service in January and also have my wireless charging cradle to be installed. If they can do it that would be the easiest solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Or you contact Whibbles and he does it for you.
Assuming thats the guy from Facebook above - I've reached out and he can do it remotely from the UK. Thats my back-up.

I know CarPlay gets a lot of hate but I haven't had any issues and love having Waze and Spotify start as soon as I'm in the car!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #662
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Let me know how it went out
Appreciate 1
Aust350z243.00
      12-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #663
nidfix
Private
Rep

The question of such upgrade is how much will it survive a code update?
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #664
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Maybe I don't get CarPlay. I've seen it a few times and it looks like extremely limited junk. Android Auto is a little better, but I have used it on a VW and it was slow and buggy as hell.

I'd rather just use the phones on a mount. It's gonna be sad when in 2 years none of this crap works with new phones. The way auto makers other than Tesla handle software...
I think that's it. It's actually really good and much better than using manufacturer infotainment systems. When you get behind the wheel you have a responsibility to pay attention at all times to your surroundings and you really shouldn't be playing with your phone. CarPlay is a fantastic compromise.
Appreciate 2
Aust350z243.00
EthanEJC199.50
      12-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #665
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidfix View Post
The question of such upgrade is how much will it survive a code update?
Why I'm keen to explore the OEM option first.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #666
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

I love Carplay especially because it supports Waze now!
Appreciate 1
Aust350z243.00
      12-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #667
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I think that's it. It's actually really good and much better than using manufacturer infotainment systems. When you get behind the wheel you have a responsibility to pay attention at all times to your surroundings and you really shouldn't be playing with your phone. CarPlay is a fantastic compromise.
Or I could just voice control my Pixel instead of relying on crappy Siri and sad Apple Maps. I know you can use the iDrive controller but tapping a screen where it is in the F8x is even more distracting than using the phone.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/28/1...-ios-12-review

Seems pretty bad. I’ll probably find out soon enough as I’m forcing myself to live with an XS Max for the time being.

I understand why only using part of the screen would bother you, though. Another strike against it in my book. Hopefully they fix that in a future iDrive update that gets rolled out to current owners. Unfortunate that there is still no OTA update.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #668
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Or I could just voice control my Pixel instead of relying on crappy Siri and sad Apple Maps.
I owned the Pixel 1, Pixel 2 and my wife owns the Pixel 3. SIRI has come a long way, you really ought to give it another shoot.

I'm a huge google fanboy and I do a lot of work with google, but there are very subtle things that edge out the latest iPhone for me.

Camera wise the iPhone is horrendous...I can barely live with it coming off of the Pixel 2, but my hope is that Apple pushes a few software enhancements to help things out.

Android Auto is nice but hardly anyone supports it.
Dont get me started on how bad bluetooth integration is in most devices for Android phones(Pixel included).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #669
chris719
Major General
Rep

Camera doesn’t bother me. It’s fine in the XS now, IMO. I agree Android Auto isn’t good either. Have seen someone struggling with it on a long trip. Have been using Siri the past week and can confirm it’s pretty terrible compared to Google Assistant on Android P.

Part of the reason I did get an iPhone to play with is because BMW doesn’t seem likely to support Android Auto in the M2 ever, so I’m hoping for improvements on both sides.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #670
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Have been using Siri the past week and can confirm it’s pretty terrible compared to Google Assistant on Android P.
And I don't think they ever will. Google is a huge BigData/ML company. Their whole push with cloud is ML. Apple is ages and I don't think that will change anytime soon(although they're definitely working hard on Siri). Google Assistant is the gold standard atm for assistants. I've got Google Home Minis all throughout the house(5+) and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

I am quite happy with Carplay aside from it not taking the full screen

EDIT: THe most baffling thing though is why is BMW trying to make their own assistant lmao.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #671
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
And I don't think they ever will. Google is a huge BigData/ML company. Their whole push with cloud is ML. Apple is ages and I don't think that will change anytime soon(although they're definitely working hard on Siri). Google Assistant is the gold standard atm for assistants. I've got Google Home Minis all throughout the house(5+) and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

I am quite happy with Carplay aside from it not taking the full screen

EDIT: THe most baffling thing though is why is BMW trying to make their own assistant lmao.
Simple, customer privacy. Google wants EVERYTHING where you go, what you look for, what you are doing. From what Ive been told its the reason why BMW and Porsche both dont do android auto. Google wants way to much customer info.
Appreciate 2
Davil6467.50
Bosozoku693.50
      12-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #672
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Or I could just voice control my Pixel instead of relying on crappy Siri and sad Apple Maps. I know you can use the iDrive controller but tapping a screen where it is in the F8x is even more distracting than using the phone.

Seems pretty bad. I’ll probably find out soon enough as I’m forcing myself to live with an XS Max for the time being.

I understand why only using part of the screen would bother you, though. Another strike against it in my book. Hopefully they fix that in a future iDrive update that gets rolled out to current owners. Unfortunate that there is still no OTA update.
I uses Waze 90% of the time and honestly prefer Apple maps (much improved) over Google Maps because I feel it works better than Google Maps in CarPlay or Android Auto. Google maps seems better on the phone than in these car apps.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 03:54 AM   #673
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Has anyone done the update yet to get the full screen carplay?
      12-03-2018, 05:12 AM   #674
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:

Any touch screen where you have to extend your arm to use it is a bad design. 100x moreso in a car, where it becomes dangerous. The iDrive wheel is pretty smart stuff.

You should try the current iDrive they’ve done a good job. Far better than earlier iterations. I didn’t bother with CarPlay. I just tell my Watch to play a song, playlist or artist, even streaming via Apple Music and it plays just fine on iDrive. The playlist shows and you can even flick though in the in dash control off the wheel.

As for Android. They have two types of customers. Poor people and anoraks. Professionals that can buy an M2C with a couple of week’s income find it a bit of a joke.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #675
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Any touch screen where you have to extend your arm to use it is a bad design. 100x moreso in a car, where it becomes dangerous. The iDrive wheel is pretty smart stuff.

You should try the current iDrive they’ve done a good job. Far better than earlier iterations. I didn’t bother with CarPlay. I just tell my Watch to play a song, playlist or artist, even streaming via Apple Music and it plays just fine on iDrive. The playlist shows and you can even flick though in the in dash control off the wheel.

As for Android. They have two types of customers. Poor people and anoraks. Professionals that can buy an M2C with a couple of week’s income find it a bit of a joke.
I don’t love touchscreens in cars but I think knobs are all going away. We agree on CarPlay. BMW will eventually give in and join everyone else with giant touchscreens plus voice gestures. Saves money. I’m not sure the issue with touchscreens is the arm; I think even iDrive requires you to divert your eyes and the eyes are the issue - you go where you look. I’ve used it a lot in an F10 and it’s okay.

Maybe you should try a real modern Android phone though (not Samsung garbage). I find iOS 12 to be decidedly inferior to Pie on Pixel 2 or 3 for actually getting things done.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #676
fridex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Let's say you can get this done, wouldn't the apps in car play be all stretched out?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #677
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridex View Post
Let's say you can get this done, wouldn't the apps in car play be all stretched out?
It looks like it adds another column of icons for the home screen, so it seems to have some support for multiple aspect ratios.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #678
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
It looks like it adds another column of icons for the home screen, so it seems to have some support for multiple aspect ratios.
This. I've seen screenshots but never a real video.

I asked the dealer before I left if I was on the latest version and they claimed I was. I'll check it out via website and compare the build numbers.

I just need a flash drive haven't used one in ages hha
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #679
C_Competition
Private First Class
Rep

messaged my dealer about this today, will update you guys if I hear anything back
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #680
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Competition View Post
messaged my dealer about this today, will update you guys if I hear anything back
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #681
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep

BMW Australia has heard of no such service bulletin to do this.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #682
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

i'll post a video up later showing Full Screen Carplay working.