BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > ED was a mistake!

11-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
ED was a mistake!

Looking back, I feel like doing ED was a mistake now.

My reasons...

1) takes sooo long
2) the tracking process is terrible (too many unknowns)
3) you "endanger" your car in Europe (such as road debris, potential dings from parking, expose your car to the elements, etc)
4) for the most part, you can't full throttle it (until you reach 1200 miles and get the service done) I didn't get the service done, so it was just a big tease!
5) takes sooo long!

I think a better route would've just been to take my own Euro trip and rent a BMW. That way...

1) I could've been one of the first people to receive their M2C in VA if I didn't do ED
2) I wouldn't "endanger" my own vehicle
3) I could've ragged out someone else's car (I feel a little jipped that I wasn't able to go 130+ mph)

I'm sure that I'm mostly feeling like this right now because I haven't collected my car here in the states yet. It's been at the VPC for 2 weeks now and it's just absolute torture...because they can't give me any updates other than, "it's delayed." So frustrating!

First world problems!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh, and it's extemely annoying to be paying for a car months before collecting it and then getting hit with property tax too! ($900 for 4 months!)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post

My reasons...

1) takes sooo long
3) you "endanger" your car in Europe (such as road debris, potential dings from parking, expose your car to the elements, etc)
4) for the most part, you can't full throttle it (until you reach 1200 miles and get the service done) I didn't get the service done, so it was just a big tease!
5) takes sooo long!
Never seen a reaction like this but there's a first time for everything I guess.

1) Have some patience - let the building anticipation of being reunited excite you - I mean, you are an adult, so enjoy feeling like a kid again being excited over getting a new toy.
2) It's not terrible - it's actually pretty good for the most part - could be worse.
3) The risk was well worth the many rewards - nerve wracking at times but I would do it again with zero hesitation. In fact, IF they start building the next 2er in Mexico (or any other country besides Germany - I like Mexico...) then I will not be getting another M2 'cause I will only do it if I can get Euro Delivery again.
4) Solution is easy (better planning) - plan a trip of at least 1500 miles, get service at 1200, then blast down the autobahn at 155 mph for the last 300 miles of your trip (the car is still fun to drive even during break-in restrictions).
5) See answer to #1 again.

Quote:
I think a better route would've just been to take my own Euro trip and rent a BMW. That way...

1) I could've been one of the first people to receive their M2C in VA if I didn't do ED
3) I could've ragged out someone else's car (I feel a little jipped that I wasn't able to go 130+ mph)
1) Who cares about THAT? Did you buy it to impress the neighbors?
2) No risk, no reward; the risk is well worth it - and did you in fact wreck it on ED? No.
3) You can always rent a car for a day or two while over there. No reason to feel gypped - next time, plan better, drive 1200 miles, get service, then rag the piss out of it.
      11-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, and it's extemely annoying to be paying for a car months before collecting it and then getting hit with property tax too! ($900 for 4 months!)
Besides the down payment, I only made one monthly loan payment before my car arrived at my local dealer, and I waited a bit longer than expected (7 weeks) for re-delivery considering I am very close to a major port. I don't get why this is an issue now, considering it's made clear up front and is therefore expected. In the scheme of things, this is not really an issue - it just means the car will be paid off a month or two "early".

As for property tax, that is no surprise either since everyone knows the "commonwealth" of VA hates cars (and car enthusiasts).
nomoracin758.00
trey1001125.00
      11-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Quote:

My reasons...

1) takes sooo long
5) takes sooo long!
Never seen a reaction like this but there's a first time for everything I guess.

1) Have some patience - let the building anticipation of being reunited excite you - I mean, you are an adult, so enjoy feeling like a kid again being excited over getting a new toy.
2) It's not terrible - it's actually pretty good for the most part - could be worse.
3) The risk was well worth the many rewards - nerve wracking at times but I would do it again with zero hesitation. In fact, IF they start building the next 2er in Mexico (or any other country besides Germany - I like Mexico...) then I will not be getting another M2 'cause I will only do it if I can get Euro Delivery again.
4) Solution is easy (better planning) - plan a trip of at least 1500 miles, get service at 1200, then blast down the autobahn at 155 mph for the last 300 miles of your trip (the car is still fun to drive even during break-in restrictions).
5) See answer to #1 again.

Quote:

1) Who cares about THAT? Did you buy it to impress the neighbors?
2) No risk, no reward; the risk is well worth it - and did you in fact wreck it on ED? No.
3) You can always rent a car for a day or two while over there. No reason to feel gypped - next time, plan better, drive 1200 miles, get service, then rag the piss out of it.
I admitted that I'm just complaining right now.

Actually, I did hit 1200 miles and I did make an appointment for my service in Frankfurt, but I missed my appointment because I got stuck in a 3 hour dead stop traffic from Zurich to Frankfurt.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I admitted that I'm just complaining right now.

Actually, I did hit 1200 miles and I did make an appointment for my service in Frankfurt, but I missed my appointment because I got stuck in a 3 hour dead stop traffic from Zurich to Frankfurt.
Just trying to help by giving you a gentle "smack" or reality check. Hopefully you feel better now.

Yes, that part sucks - could be worse though - could have been stuck at a French hospital for 3 DAYS.
nomoracin758.00
trey1001125.00
      11-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #7
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

My experience was just the opposite. I am dropping off my car at Frankfurt today and will be receiving it in VA eventually as well.

I got the 1200 mile service done at 1000 miles in Frankfurt and put another 500 miles of pretty much full throttle anywhere and those roads are plentiful in the Frankfurt area. The first 1k miles were a tease keeping under 106 mph!

It is true you could rent a car but a one week rental of a car such as this or M3/M4 would run over 1000 dollars at best for a week, closer to 1500 with full insurance. I drove it for two weeks so that would have been a crazy bill.

For me I figured we were so close to winter and I don't plan on putting winter tires so as long as I get it back before spring hits I don't mind.

Yes I have a couple of small rock chips on the bumper but nothing a dot of touch-up won't take care of!

The weather was unexpectedly perfect during my entire 2 weeks here in the 50s and 60s.
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

It's worth it unless you have to wait 3+ months to get an allocation vs a US delivery one.

They used to fix all the wear and tear before redelivery, not sure if they still do.
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      11-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Sparco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 \ Future M2 Comp

All of your frustrations will go away once she arrives. I actually went and picked mine up today. I will be taking her to the track next week along with my GT3 to play a bit. Yes, driving thru Europe can be a bit intimidating but going 165MPH after filling up with gas doesn't suck. Not to much longer buddy
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      11-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
Zugspitze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I enjoyed my European Delivery experience in September 2017. Two other couples were able to share the experience with us. Driving the M2 in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and France was truly a remarkable experience. Actually, I never dwelled on the potential risk. My focus was on enjoying the experience of a lifetime with great friends.
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      11-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #11
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Don't get me wrong...we really enjoyed ourselves too! I'm just being super whinny about not having my car yet. Something's up and nobody's telling me anything, so I'm extra annoyed. I was supposed to collect my car on Nov 1, but 11 days later...no news..."work order open" is all I get. I'm extemely worried that my car was damaged and they're trying to hide it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
Zugspitze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Don't get me wrong...we really enjoyed ourselves too! I'm just being super whinny about not having my car yet. Something's up and nobody's telling me anything, so I'm extra annoyed. I was supposed to collect my car on Nov 1, but 11 days later...no news..."work order open" is all I get. I'm extemely worried that my car was damaged and they're trying to hide it.
Have you talked to Sabrina Knudsen at BMWNA yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugspitze View Post
Quote:
Have you talked to Sabrina Knudsen at BMWNA yet?
No, who's that?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #14
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
No, who's that?
Her info is in your ED packet. You can email her

Also I feel like ED is the best thing. Driving an M car on the Autobahn, Nurburgring, etc was amazing. The M car was designed to be driven on these roads. I have the opposite feeling, once I got my e90 M3 back from Europe in California I was a bit sad and happy at the same time. I could no longer drive at 140 mph just cruising down a pristine pothole free freeway, not having people look at me as a complete maniac driving so fast, not having to stress and worry about cops, and enjoying the autobahn with other awesome respectful drivers on the road that know how to drive fast. It was truly an amazing experience! I felt like the M3 shines in Germany, kind of like letting a bird out of its cage. Back in the States I felt like my M3 was like a caged bird, wings clipped. It was actually little sad for me driving the M car home in Los Angeles, Ca from my ED redelivery. Very weird experience because I thought it would be all smiles. All I could think of when driving home that day was me driving in Germany on those awesome roads... Instead I was driving with a bunch of people texting and driving..

I pick up my M2c for redelivery in 2 weeks. I hope that feeling does not happen again when I pick her up that happened with my M3 years ago...

Last edited by chmura; 11-14-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 3
      11-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Also I feel like ED is the best thing. Driving an M car on the Autobahn, Nurburgring, etc was amazing. The M car was designed to be driven on these roads. I have the opposite feeling, once I got my e90 M3 back from Europe in California I was a bit sad and happy at the same time. I could no longer drive at 140 mph just cruising down a pristine pothole free freeway, not have to worry about cops and with other awesome respectful drivers on the road that know how to drive fast. It was amazing. I felt like the M3 shines in Germany, kind of like letting a bird out of its cage. Back in the States I felt like my M3 was like a caged bird, wings clipped.

I pick up my M2c for redelivery in 2 weeks. I hope that feeling does not happen again when I pick her up that happened with my M3 years ago...
I felt the same way when I got back, even before the car joined me back in the States - crappy roads, speed limits, crappy drivers - I was in a funk for a while, hating US roads.
      11-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Zugspitze - Thank you for suggesting to contact Sabrina! Although, she no longer works there, I was able to find an alternate email (BMWEuropeanDelivery@bmwna.com).

Now, this is awfully coincidental, but a day after I contacted them, I received a text from my local service department saying that they received an alert that my car requires the 1200 mile service. So, I speculated that someone at the VPC finally turned on my car and it potentially has the capability to alert the dealership of the service. Then another day later (today), I get an email saying that my car has been released to trucking and is en route to the dealership.

It sure does feel like that when BMWEuropeanDelivery contacted the VPC to get my car moving along. I wish I knew about contacting them sooner! This is completely my fault though, as I will admit that I did NOT read my packet in detail and I actually threw it away in Europe.

Anyway, thanks again Zugspitze/chmura!

I hope my scenario can help other members with taking re-delivery of their cars sooner!

Edit: Of course today is the first day it's snowing too...salt and chemicals everywhere! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Last edited by nomoracin; 11-15-2018 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Edit: Of course today is the first day it's snowing too...salt and chemicals everywhere! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #17
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And...here!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #18
alavigne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

My reasons...

1) takes sooo long
5) takes sooo long!

I'm sure that I'm mostly feeling like this right now because I haven't collected my car here in the states yet. It's been at the VPC for 2 weeks now and it's just absolute torture...because they can't give me any updates other than, "it's delayed." So frustrating!

First world problems!
???? you didn't drive enough to do break-in?

I did ED last June and did the initial 1200 mile break-in in the first 2 days, then did another 3000 miles of post break-in driving in the alps and on the Nordschleife. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #19
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

Is the risk you all are talking about just dings/scratches and general wear and tear? Wouldn't you get that eventually driving around a big city in the States?
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #20
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
It's worth it unless you have to wait 3+ months to get an allocation vs a US delivery one.

They used to fix all the wear and tear before redelivery, not sure if they still do.
I curbed a rim on ED. When I went to pick it up, it was repaired
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #21
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
And...here!
Congrats & enjoy! Sure is funny looking wax on those cars there. They don't sell that kind of wax in Hawaii
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      11-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #22
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsubjugator View Post
Is the risk you all are talking about just dings/scratches and general wear and tear? Wouldn't you get that eventually driving around a big city in the States?
Yea, you're right, but at least here in the States, it's garaged nightly and if the weather sucks, it stays in the garage. Haha
Appreciate 0