BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Considering an M2C... have a few questions

05-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #45
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

If your ok with having to deal with the crank hub issue out of warranty, then I don’t think you will ever regret getting an M2C .
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:45 PM   #46
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBM2C View Post
If your ok with having to deal with the crank hub issue out of warranty, then I don’t think you will ever regret getting an M2C .
Quick caveat: In the less than 1% chance it happens.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #47
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm2Cee View Post
So here is my question: what made you decide on your M2C? What else were you considering? Do you have any regrets?
Emm

I cannot say I ever once considered buying an Infiniti; absolutely no clue about the lineup. . .

This past week I had need for rental and Enterprise put me into a new (<1K miles) Infiniti Q60 LUXE RWD. Fantastic car! Not my intent to write a review, other than to say it is damn close to the M2C in terms of driving experience.

I had no idea what the hell I was driving and looked the Q60 up online. The LUXE comes with twin turbo V6 and option for RWD or AWD. AMAZINGLY, base price is about $45.5K (RWD). Not sure if 'more' is required but, if you jump up to the Q60 Red Sport, you are looking at base price of about $57K (RWD). Gives you bump in performance features, including an extra 100hp. Also appears to come with MT and AWD options for those inclined.

You asked if there is anything else others were considering when purchasing their M2C. I had not considered the Q60 but, after recent experiences, I can tell you the Q60 LUXE is very similar to the M2C . . . for considerably less money. Coming in at about the same price, I suspect the Q60 Red Sport offers even more temptation for those cross-shopping the M2C?

As far as other cars mentioned in this thread. . . I had never even heard of the Mustang Bullitt, so have no direct comparison to offer. What I can say is that I have a 718 CGTS and Shelby GT 350 sitting in my garage. The GTS is in a league of its own in my extremely biased mind . . .

The Shelby is my buddy's, who has more cars than garage spaces. Nonetheless, plenty of seat time on my part and, although more similar to the M2C than GTS, I do not consider the Shelby nearly as comparable to the M2C as the Q60. For context, the Shelby is just about the sweetest sounding car on the road, but I personally have no desire to own one.

Long and short of it . . . if you like the M2C and want something truly comparable to cross-shop, I would recommend checking out the Infiniti Q60.

///AVM
Attached Images

Last edited by ///AVM; 05-28-2020 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #48
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Emm

I cannot say I ever once considered buying an Infiniti; absolutely no clue about the lineup. . .

This past week I had need for rental and Enterprise put me into a new (<1K miles) Infiniti Q60 LUXE RWD. Fantastic car! Not my intent to write a review, other than to say it is damn close to the M2C in terms of driving experience.

I had no idea what the hell I was driving and looked the Q60 up online. The LUXE comes with twin turbo V6 and option for RWD or AWD. AMAZINGLY, base price is about $45.5K (RWD). Not sure if 'more' is required but, if you jump up to the Q60 Red Sport, you are looking at base price of about $57K (RWD). Gives you bump in performance features, including an extra 100hp. Also appears to come with MT and AWD options for those inclined.

You asked if there is anything else others were considering when purchasing their M2C. I had not considered the Q60 but, after recent experiences, I can tell you the Q60 LUXE is very similar to the M2C . . . for considerably less money. Coming in at about the same price, I suspect the Q60 Red Sport offers even more temptation for those cross-shopping the M2C?

As far as other cars mentioned in this thread. . . I had never even heard of the Mustang Bullitt, so have no direct comparison to offer. What I can say is that I have a 718 CGTS and Shelby GT 350 sitting in my garage. The GTS is in a league of its own in my extremely biased mind . . .

The Shelby is my buddy's, who has more cars than garage spaces. Nonetheless, plenty of seat time on my part and, although more similar to the M2C than GTS, I do not consider the Shelby nearly as comparable to the M2C as the Q60. For context, the Shelby is just about the sweetest sounding car on the road, but I personally have no desire to own one.

Long and short of it . . . if you like the M2C and want something truly comparable to cross-shop, I would recommend checking out the Infiniti Q60.

///AVM
You don't even own an M2C, do you have enough seat time to actually compare it with anything? Curious.

Also how is a 300hp 4000lbs slush box automatic V6 with an open diff anywhere even close to an M2C? What the hell are you talking about?

Look forward to your next post where you recommend people cross shop a Subaru cross trek.
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #49
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Holy shit ///AVM!!
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #50
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
You don't even own an M2C, do you have enough seat time to actually compare it with anything? Curious.

Also how is a 300hp 4000lbs slush box automatic V6 with an open diff anywhere even close to an M2C? What the hell are you talking about?

Look forward to your next post where you recommend people cross shop a Subaru cross trek.
He owns an M2C...
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #51
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:

I am not sure what is your beef with ///AVM, but I am having deja vu moments with the two of you. Didn't a few forum members explicitly call you out awhile back because you complained that AVM should get a M2C already? And in fact, in that same thread, he said he just bought a M2C...Also, he is the guy who owns a GTS which is arguably far superior to the M2C and yet, he enjoys the hell out of the M2C.

And ownership of something vs non-ownership does not immediately qualify a person to have more authority on the subject. Look at all the car reviewers who raved about the M2C. We listen to what they say wholeheartedly. In fact, when Chris Harris did his review, I bet he was pretty impressed with it after the first 5 min. He didn't own a M2C until ~2 days ago.

Also, people often compare various cars that are not exactly perfect match-ups on paper. I compared an ND Miata with a M2C (created a thread on it) and many people agreed it was a valid comparison and a tough call. A lot of comparisons are not one dimensional. On the M5 forum, there has been comparisons between the M5 and M2C, and both have its merits.

I just find it odd when someone is super dismissive about another member, who again provided a lot of great insights and discussions on this forum.
Appreciate 7
///AVM2529.50
cptobvious2531.50
Poochie9104.50
BlkSVT388.50
      05-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #52
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Holy shit ///AVM!!
Kutta

I think you know I share your passion for the M2C . . . it is a special BMW offering.

OP asked about comparable makes and models to the M2C. Yes, the Q60 I drove for three days, over about 300 miles, was an impressive sporty coupe I feel is quite comparable.

For the record, my preference lies with the M2C.

Nonetheless, I certainly would not argue with anyone who cross shops the two vehicles and finds preference with the Q60. . . particularly given fact that the Q60 LUXE comes in at some $13-14K less than the M2C.

///AVM
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #53
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
I am not sure what is your beef with ///AVM, but I am having deja vu moments with the two of you. Didn't a few forum members explicitly call you out awhile back because you complained that AVM should get a M2C already? And in fact, in that same thread, he said he just bought a M2C...Also, he is the guy who owns a GTS which is arguably far superior to the M2C and yet, he enjoys the hell out of the M2C.

And ownership of something vs non-ownership does not immediately qualify a person to have more authority on the subject. Look at all the car reviewers who raved about the M2C. We listen to what they say wholeheartedly. In fact, when Chris Harris did his review, I bet he was pretty impressed with it after the first 5 min. He didn't own a M2C until ~2 days ago.

Also, people often compare various cars that are not exactly perfect match-ups on paper. I compared an ND Miata with a M2C (created a thread on it) and many people agreed it was a valid comparison and a tough call. A lot of comparisons are not one dimensional. On the M5 forum, there has been comparisons between the M5 and M2C, and both have its merits.

I just find it odd when someone is super dismissive about another member, who again provided a lot of great insights and discussions on this forum.
JC

As per usual, I appreciate your insight and comments.

///AVM
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #54
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Holy shit ///AVM!!
Kutta

I think you know I share your passion for the M2C . . . it is a special BMW offering.

OP asked about comparable makes and models to the M2C. Yes, the Q60 I drove for three days, over about 300 miles, was an impressive sporty coupe I feel is quite comparable.

Nonetheless, I certainly would not argue with anyone who cross shops the two vehicles and finds preference with the Q60. . . particularly given fact that the Q60 LUXE comes in at some $13-14K less than the M2C.

///AVM
I'm not doubting your comparison, I'm sure it's a great car. I just wouldn't have thought, hence surprised.

Just goes to show you that there are plenty of good cars out there in all price ranges, and we just gravitate towards some. Shows you how powerful branding and marketing truly are. I mean buying anything other than a BMW (maybe Porsche...but that's the next one) wasn't even a thought for me, let alone an infinity.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
      05-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #55
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Holy shit ///AVM!!
Kutta

///AVM
I'm not doubting your comparison, I'm sure it's a great car. I just wouldn't have thought, hence surprised.

Just goes to show you that there are plenty of good cars out there in all price ranges, and we just gravitate towards some. Shows you how powerful branding and marketing truly are. I mean buying anything other than a BMW (maybe Porsche...but that's the next one) wasn't even a thought for me, let alone an infinity.
Great conclusion and I fall into this trap as well. It's BMW and Porsche or nothing...until you have some free time on your hands due to no allocations and you start looking at other brands and models 😂.

You know what else is lovely? The '21 Mercedes CLA45 AMG. Too bad MB did away with the manual transmission. But that interior looks amazing!
      05-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #56
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Holy shit ///AVM!!
Kutta

///AVM

Kutta

It's all good brother. . . trust me, I was completely blindsided by the INFINITI Q60. Even more so when I learned it's base price.

So, as to the thread and OP's inquiring about an M2C comparable, I stand by my Q60 comments.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #57
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Your missing the point. He ordered an M2C, there isn't one sitting in his garage. So I'll save the back and forth and let's just say he has barely driven one. Therefore to say the car is just like an M2C is neither valuable or insightful. But it is a forum after all, so say whatever you want.

Journalists are barely any better frankly, most of them don't have a clue. They show up to a press launch, read the spec sheet, ask the other journos what they think, have a few beers, and bang out a generic review on the plane home. Harris, Catchpole, Prosser et al. are all legit but I really don't care what some mug from auto express thinks.

To really understand a car (alongside more than 10 minutes of seat time) you have to spend time in the community listening to people who have actually driven them, modded them, tracked them. Hence why I take umbrage with people declaring X,Y,Z about a car without actually having any experience of it.

A Miata and an M2C are both fantastic cars built with an enthusiast in mind, I can see why you would cross shop them. An infiniti q60 is a generic luxury sedan with some power, it has no performance chops whatsoever. I'm sure it's a nice place to be but it's not comparable to an M car.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #58
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your missing the point. He ordered an M2C, there isn't one sitting in his garage. So I'll save the back and forth and let's just say he has barely driven one. Therefore to say the car is just like an M2C is neither valuable or insightful. But it is a forum after all, so say whatever you want.

Journalists are barely any better frankly, most of them don't have a clue. They show up to a press launch, read the spec sheet, ask the other journos what they think, have a few beers, and bang out a generic review on the plane home. Harris, Catchpole, Prosser et al. are all legit but I really don't care what some mug from auto express thinks.

To really understand a car (alongside more than 10 minutes of seat time) you have to spend time in the community listening to people who have actually driven them, modded them, tracked them. Hence why I take umbrage with people declaring X,Y,Z about a car without actually having any experience of it.

A Miata and an M2C are both fantastic cars built with an enthusiast in mind, I can see why you would cross shop them. An infiniti q60 is a generic luxury sedan with some power, it has no performance chops whatsoever. I'm sure it's a nice place to be but it's not comparable to an M car.
I appreciate your clarification and do agree with a few of your points, particularly, how Bimmerpost allows for true engagement of owners with value discussion, debates, etc.

On more thing on ///AVM. I think you may have gotten our situations confused (I could be wrong)? But ///AVM bought his M2C off the lot and actually took a picture of it in his driveway. I on the other hand ordered one and at this rate, who knows when it will be built, let along delivered...but I have also gotten plenty of seat time in a M2C before you discredit my judgement 😉

I don't want to belabor the point of Infinity anymore and if it is worthy comparison or not. In my mind I see similar parallels with my Miata and M2C vs. the Infinity comparison, but that is for another discussion.

In the end, you both provide a lot of value to this forum and can't we all just get along? 😂😂😂
cptobvious2531.50
      05-28-2020, 09:15 PM   #59
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate your clarification and do agree with a few of your points, particularly, how Bimmerpost allows for true engagement of owners with value discussion, debates, etc.

On more thing on ///AVM. I think you may have gotten our situations confused (I can be wrong)? But ///AVM bought his M2C off the lot and actually took a picture of it in his driveway. I on the other hand ordered one and at this rate, who knows when it will be built, let along delivered...but I have also gotten plenty of seat time in a M2C before you discredit my judgement 😉

I don't want to belabor the point of Infinity anymore and if it is worthy comparison or not. In my mind I see similar parallels with my Miata and M2C vs. the Infinity comparison, but that is for another discussion.

In the end, you both provide a lot of value to this forum and can't we all just get along? 😂😂😂
Good luck getting yours! May be one of the last. Euro emissions regs killing everything, were coming towards the end of the golden era for cars. I think 10 years from now the market will be unrecognisable....

... and 10 years from now I'll probably also still be confused about who actually has an M2C and who doesn't
Appreciate 2
JCZ51482.50
cptobvious2531.50
      05-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #60
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
So here is my question: what made you decide on your M2C? What else were you considering? Do you have any regrets?
Emm

///AVM
I'm usually in your side here bud, but this one is a no go for me. Having spent decent amount of time in my M2C (including AutoX and track time), and some time in a buddys's red sport, the Infiniti doesnt touch my M2C in driving experience or capability.

It's so heavy, dull, and numb. Is it pleasant to sit in, yeah maybe, but that's about it for me.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
Davil6511.00
      05-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #61
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Emm

///AVM
I'm usually in your side here bud, but this one is a no go for me. Having spent decent amount of time in my M2C (including AutoX and track time), and some time in a buddys's red sport, the Infiniti doesnt touch my M2C in driving experience or capability.

It's so heavy, dull, and numb. Is it pleasant to sit in, yeah maybe, but that's about it for me.
Scout

No worries brother.

I'm not trying to convince anyone they should get a Q60 over an M2C, or anything else.

Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised by what the Q60 had to offer, and do feel it's comparable to the M2C.

If it's useful information for OP, great. If not, we simply move on.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      05-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #62
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Ok guys, now I have to watch a YouTube review of the infinity q60 luxe
Appreciate 3
Thescout134944.00
///AVM2529.50
      05-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #63
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok, 3 min into it I had to turn it off. That is one ass ugly car inside and out
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:54 PM   #64
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, 3 min into it I had to turn it off. That is one ass ugly car inside and out
Well that and Infiniti may not be around for the length of the warranty.
      05-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #65
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
not quite. The balloon payment is calculated similar to a lease payment. Essentially BMW calculates roughly how much the M2 will be worth in 5 years with 60k miles on it. The from there they decide whether or not they want to make that number higher or lower. In the past they were giving people a higher balloon payment at the end because it would lower monthly payments initially. So for example, for the M2, BMW was giving people a 25k balloon payment at the end, so their monthly came out to really just paying off 35k. Doesnt sound like a bad deal right? However the issue people ran into, is that they would buy a car that depreciated faster than the M2, so they would end up being under after the 5 years.

Recently BMW has switched it, the Balloon payment at the end is lower, which means higher monthly, however with a car that wont depreciate as fast like the M2, i will most likley be walking away positive if i decide to sell the car in 5 years. I believe the break even point is around the 3rd year. So if i decide i want to sell the car in 3 years i'll walk away with 0, but i wont have to owe anything either.

The payment plan is always 5 years, and yes you still pay interest on the full cost of the car so that kinda sucks. But the interest will be determined based on your credit. Unfortunately my credit was a bit lower than it is now when i bought the car so i got 2.99%. However had my credit been higher, or if i had bought during the pandemic, i might have been able to score the lower interest.
Thanks, I get how it works now. So basically, you manipulate the payment, but at the end of 5 years, you still got a check to write. I'm sure many a people with a short term view just think about the payment and sign up, and say "we'll worry about balloons after 5 years...who cares, its so far away anyway".
Anywho, I decided to dig up my old emails with my SA and he did say exactly this. After 5 years 60k miles, the balloon would have been $20,000. But based on my down payment, I still felt the payment was too high, and that too for 5 years!! I didnt bother to explore this more at the time.
I did the BMW Select balloon loan before and it's pretty scary knowing you have to write a big, lump sum check, at the end of 5 years.

I believe the idea behind the ballon loan is that when it matures, you'll just trade it in for a new vehicle, like what some cell phone carriers do with phones, on installment plans and still has a balance and the new model comes out

However, there is nothing wrong with that sort of financing, if it works better for your financial situation.

https://www.bmwofbrooklyn.com/financ...ect-financing/
Appreciate 3
BigKutta3901.00
///AVM2529.50
      05-29-2020, 12:50 AM   #66
UNRL
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

I owned a 2016 GT PP for 3 years before I picked up my M2C, did all the upgrades intake/exhaust/tune/coilovers/wheels/tires. Even after all of that the car still didnt come close to competing with the M2C in the twisties. It was a fun stop light to stop light daily and straight line car but once it came down to pushing the car to the limit in the corners they cant compare. If you are looking for a car that you just want to romp on with a loud exhaust then the mustang is for you, if you want an extremely well balanced and sorted car that will give you maximum confidence behind the wheel then pick the M2C. I do miss the exhaust on the mustang but thats about it.

I didnt realize how much smaller the m2 was than the mustang until I parked it in my garage for the first time and there was an extra foot of space in front of the car than im used to. They made huge improvements on the interior for the s550 so the change from that to the m2 wasnt some drastic change it just feels better overall, everything feels a bit more refined and premium. The size inside the cabin is a bit tighter than the mustang in the driver seat but theres more room in the backseats despite the fact that its a much shorter car, so that should be a bonus for you with the little ones.

I cross shopped just about every car under the sun in the 60-80k range from m3c/m5/c63/gtr/zo6/cayman. None of them checked all of the boxes I was looking for except for the M2C. If theres any other car I can try to suggest for you to take a look at is a C63. Can be had for about the same price as an M2C if you shop gently used. It felt like a middle ground between the mustang and m2c. Felt more planted and refined than the mustang but not quite as small and nimble as the m2.

Hope this helps you out. Took me a solid 3-4 months to finally make my decision and I havent regretted a single second of it.
Appreciate 2