BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Downsides of bootmod or similar

11-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #1
RickHansen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Downsides of bootmod or similar

My 2020 M2c is out of warranty soon, and I am wondering on the downsides of 40 plus hp, with your iPhone .
You know what I mean.
Anyone done it to stock car ( maybe k&n filters} and can give a bit of feedback?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 07:52 PM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I have used it since almost day one with absolutely no issue.

I haven't changed a thing and it is a blast.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2022, 04:50 AM   #3
RickHansen
Private
Rep

If you used it straight away, how did you tell the difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 04:57 AM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHansen View Post
If you used it straight away, how did you tell the difference?
Perhaps read what I said again.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 02:53 AM   #5
RickHansen
Private
Rep

“I have used it since almost day one with absolutely no issue.”

So day zero was the only day it was standard before you tuned it?
I was asking how you could actually feel the 40 or so hp etc people say the tune does if you hadn’t had it in tuned for some time to appreciate the tune. Please explain if I am not interpreting your words correctly,
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 07:28 PM   #6
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHansen View Post
“I have used it since almost day one with absolutely no issue.”

So day zero was the only day it was standard before you tuned it?
I was asking how you could actually feel the 40 or so hp etc people say the tune does if you hadn’t had it in tuned for some time to appreciate the tune. Please explain if I am not interpreting your words correctly,
"Almost day one" I would interpret as being in the realm of weeks or months, when used in the context of automobile ownership. I think the point is he has a before and after perspective on it and unless you specify what you consider an appropriate timeframe it's best to accept the response with thanks.

FWIW there are hundreds of people in here running BM3, myself included. The benefits are well documented. In my own personal experience, it made a marked difference to the feeling of pace and I love being able to remove all burbles or move them to high rpm/speed and super short duration. I did however get a strange type of throttle delay that is ony noticeable when driving around town in traffic, and wasnt enough to make me remove the tune.
      01-05-2023, 06:45 AM   #7
Weetbix
I like the noises
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

BM3 is well tried and tested, I don't see alot of downside unless you are worried about the extra stress on the car that comes with increasing power.

I have been running BM3 stage 1 on my M2 for a few months now. It was certainly a noticeable change and I am enjoying playing around with the burble configuration, cold start, gts roar etc.

Why not give it a go, can always revert to stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 05:40 PM   #8
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Unless you track it's questionable whether you'll really use the extra HP but BM3 provides a lot more than just power, you can customise quite a few settings to your liking as well.

I have a custom tune (I started with less power than your M2C so the extra power is probably more useable), have custom throttle mapping to effectively delete the overly sensitive Sport+ map, burbles turned off, exhaust flap open full time and having a 6MT the Shift load drop fix significantly improved wot upshifting.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 08:45 PM   #9
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
have custom throttle mapping to effectively delete the overly sensitive Sport+ map, burbles turned off, exhaust flap open full time and having a 6MT the Shift load drop fix significantly improved wot upshifting.
Do you mean the throttle response (sensitivity) which is the user definable setting in BM3 or actually changed the throttle mapping ie: the throttle curve.

IMO they are two different things. I’m chasing the latter and hear crickets from custom tuners.
      01-11-2023, 12:52 PM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Do you mean the throttle response (sensitivity) which is the user definable setting in BM3 or actually changed the throttle mapping ie: the throttle curve.

IMO they are two different things. I’m chasing the latter and hear crickets from custom tuners.
Are they not effectively close enough for most purposes? What are you trying to end up with?

Enabled might be a person who knows the answer to your question.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 04:52 AM   #11
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Yes the actual throttle mapping is customised but it can only be done by a custom tuner (as part of custom tune), I'm not sure any of the other tuning platforms allow for custom throttle mapping? I'd always felt the Sport throttle operation was close/identical to an old cable throttle so simply had the Sport+ map replaced with Sport. Honestly don't know what BMW were thinking when they paired MDM (ie reduced traction control) with the touchy Sport+ throttle!

The user adjustable throttle sensitivity wasn't an available option when I had my tune done, I'm not sure of how it differs.
Appreciate 1
MR RIZK757.50
      01-12-2023, 08:44 AM   #12
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

chris719 I have a MT with a stiff ride setup. On poor roads at slow'ish speeds there are instances with the bumpiness of the road surface it will cause my foot to tap the accelerator pedal and subsequently the car will start bucking. Bit like when you start learning to drive a MT.

By decreasing the sensitivity it has helped in removing about 80% of the issue at slow speeds. The issue with the sensitivity setting is that it delays the time to throttle target for the whole curve. In simplistic terms think of a throttle curve which is static, reducing the sensitivity increases the time it takes to reach the target at a given point. The more the sensitivity is reduced the longer it will take to hit target. Too high of a value and the car becomes sluggish. Obviously it is far more complex than this and beyond my capabilities in understanding the calibrations available in the mapping tables.

As the sensitivity setting affects the whole curve. I just want some mechanism to help with the slow vehicle speed high speed pedal inputs.

Not sure if the above makes sense. The throttle sensitivity setting was tested by someone on this forum a while back and its affects.
      01-13-2023, 07:52 PM   #13
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
chris719 I have a MT with a stiff ride setup. On poor roads at slow'ish speeds there are instances with the bumpiness of the road surface it will cause my foot to tap the accelerator pedal and subsequently the car will start bucking. Bit like when you start learning to drive a MT.

By decreasing the sensitivity it has helped in removing about 80% of the issue at slow speeds. The issue with the sensitivity setting is that it delays the time to throttle target for the whole curve. In simplistic terms think of a throttle curve which is static, reducing the sensitivity increases the time it takes to reach the target at a given point. The more the sensitivity is reduced the longer it will take to hit target. Too high of a value and the car becomes sluggish. Obviously it is far more complex than this and beyond my capabilities in understanding the calibrations available in the mapping tables.

As the sensitivity setting affects the whole curve. I just want some mechanism to help with the slow vehicle speed high speed pedal inputs.

Not sure if the above makes sense. The throttle sensitivity setting was tested by someone on this forum a while back and its affects.
I think I understand now, you want to make the curve intentionally non-linear: less throttle at light pedal applications and normal curve once you're farther into the pedal. Kind of like how mouse acceleration works in a way.

Can't you just put your foot down faster though?

I understand what you're asking for but I think linear is almost always the way to go with controls. It is an interesting idea though. It's funny how everyone has different preferences because I think people with E90 328s were trying to get rid of this kind of behavior where the throttle tip-in was insensitive to smooth out the driving.

The more I think about this, the more I like it if it's done gently.
Appreciate 1
MR RIZK757.50
      01-13-2023, 08:44 PM   #14
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Correct. The suggestion above about the curve at a high level is what I’m chasing.

Since the phenomenon can happen in different gears and at different vehicle speeds the only user definable setting is the sensitivity. Trying to fake it in conjunction with torque reduction is not an option cause the issue isn’t only in 1st gear, can be second and sometimes 3rd. Again torque reduction is the same issue as I suspect it is just a offset of target torque.
      01-13-2023, 11:13 PM   #15
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Correct. The suggestion above about the curve at a high level is what I’m chasing.

Since the phenomenon can happen in different gears and at different vehicle speeds the only user definable setting is the sensitivity. Trying to fake it in conjunction with torque reduction is not an option cause the issue isn’t only in 1st gear, can be second and sometimes 3rd. Again torque reduction is the same issue as I suspect it is just a offset of target torque.
My Sport+ custom throttle mirrors exactly the progressive nature of the oem Sport (& I have December 2018 iStep which did slightly change my original July 17 oem throttle mapping). Toggling between Comfort & Sport/Sport+ on light throttle there is little if any change whereas say at 30-40% throttle you feel the increase throttle. Originally going to Sport+ would increase throttle even in a carpark with my foot off the accelerator pedal.

Except for very wet roads I exclusively use Sport+/MDM for spirited driving (mostly NSW/Vic alpine regions) & getting rid of Sport+ has been the best thing, so much more confidence getting on the power out of corners.
Appreciate 1