BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MILVS retrofit F87 n55

10-23-2023, 03:44 PM   #155
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I actually did not do it on purpose, it was just me doing runs and not paying attention. Until recently I didn't even know if there was a difference in mapping between the modes (Confirmed by Stage FP)

I also have a comparison in Sport + mode which shows the same thing, I'll post it in a bit.
Ohhh okay, so there is a difference in mapping between comfort and sport+ ?

I still haven’t installed my MILVs yet, I haven’t even actually tuned my car yet. I’ve been kinda waiting to see your results haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:51 PM   #156
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
Ohhh okay, so there is a difference in mapping between comfort and sport+ ?

I still haven’t installed my MILVs yet, I haven’t even actually tuned my car yet. I’ve been kinda waiting to see your results haha.
Who and what are you tuning with?

Here is another comparison, both run in SPORT:

Pre MILVS, FBO, MPPK intake, MST Inlet, Downpipe, craptastic intercooler, M Performance "exhaust" Stage FP OTS Tune
https://datazap.me/u/amuroray/3rd-4th?log=0&data=2-3-19

vs

POST MILVS, FBO including CTS intake, MST inlet, Downpipe, VRSF Race intercooler, M Performance "exhaust" Stage FP OTS Tune
https://datazap.me/u/amuroray/milvs-...30-31-32-33-35

Biggest delta recorded 19.5psi @ 5800 vs 17.8psi - 1.7psi

Don't worry too much about the differences in WGDC - those are reflective of the intercooler change more than anything (more internal restriction vs the crappy core I took off) but you're notice the car is more efficient. If you're on the fence, there really isn't a downside. You'll need and want a tune to remap the Valvetronic curve (I'll do a comparison of that next) and adjust the boost accordingly, which as you can see, is reduced a bit.
      10-28-2023, 08:38 AM   #157
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Who and what are you tuning with?

Here is another comparison, both run in SPORT:

Pre MILVS, FBO, MPPK intake, MST Inlet, Downpipe, craptastic intercooler, M Performance "exhaust" Stage FP OTS Tune
https://datazap.me/u/amuroray/3rd-4th?log=0&data=2-3-19

vs

POST MILVS, FBO including CTS intake, MST inlet, Downpipe, VRSF Race intercooler, M Performance "exhaust" Stage FP OTS Tune
https://datazap.me/u/amuroray/milvs-...30-31-32-33-35

Biggest delta recorded 19.5psi @ 5800 vs 17.8psi - 1.7psi

Don't worry too much about the differences in WGDC - those are reflective of the intercooler change more than anything (more internal restriction vs the crappy core I took off) but you're notice the car is more efficient. If you're on the fence, there really isn't a downside. You'll need and want a tune to remap the Valvetronic curve (I'll do a comparison of that next) and adjust the boost accordingly, which as you can see, is reduced a bit.

I think I want to try BM3, I pervously had MHD on my 435i and it was good, but after reading the majority of F87source’s in depth post on BM3 I think I want to give that a shot. I’ll most likely have Bob do a custom tune once the MILVs are in because he’s the OG with tuning for them.

I think I asked before, but is there more room in your tune to maximize those MILVs?
I’m personally torn on deciding if it’s worth it to squeeze every little bit of juice out of the stock turbo or move to something like the Shuenk N55+ turbo and have a healthy 400 whp car on 93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 09:28 AM   #158
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think I want to try BM3, I pervously had MHD on my 435i and it was good, but after reading the majority of F87source’s in depth post on BM3 I think I want to give that a shot. I’ll most likely have Bob do a custom tune once the MILVs are in because he’s the OG with tuning for them.

I think I asked before, but is there more room in your tune to maximize those MILVs?
I’m personally torn on deciding if it’s worth it to squeeze every little bit of juice out of the stock turbo or move to something like the Shuenk N55+ turbo and have a healthy 400 whp car on 93 octane.
100% more room, currently working on that…
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2023, 02:32 PM   #159
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

3LiterBeater

The exhaust.
Attached Images

11-22-2023, 07:05 AM   #160
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
3LiterBeater

The exhaust.
Damn, that’s quite the choke.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 02:34 AM   #161
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Damn, that’s quite the choke.
Choke - understatement rer oem midpipe.

Hence adding supersprint front pipe between Fspeed DP and OEM MP exhaust.

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...pe-v20.aspx#!/

Full bore incl larger ID flex jt, albeit not 3.5". Upsizing DP outlet to suit 3.5" midpipe - good option

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #162
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I was doing a full dyno tune today and I had an injector fail. Do I need 1 or all 6?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 09:38 AM   #163
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Choke - understatement rer oem midpipe.

Hence adding supersprint front pipe between Fspeed DP and OEM MP exhaust.

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...pe-v20.aspx#!/

Full bore incl larger ID flex jt, albeit not 3.5". Upsizing DP outlet to suit 3.5" midpipe - good option
Just an fyi…talk to local fabricator. They can likely make something better for a lil more $$$. Im doing a custom dp—midpipe that ties into mperformance muffler. 3.5” dp opening and midpipe
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1779.00
      12-06-2023, 09:40 AM   #164
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was doing a full dyno tune today and I had an injector fail. Do I need 1 or all 6?
Depends on budget really…Im replacing all mine soon and will have spares i can ship. Similar to coils..replace the faulty one or be preventative and do all 6..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #165
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
Depends on budget really…Im replacing all mine soon and will have spares i can ship. Similar to coils..replace the faulty one or be preventative and do all 6..
Have a good place to get them? I was going to check FCP and RockAuto, or maybe even EuroKlasse (where I got actual S55 Coilpacks)
      12-06-2023, 04:19 PM   #166
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have a good place to get them? I was going to check FCP and RockAuto, or maybe even EuroKlasse (where I got actual S55 Coilpacks)
Im replacing mine with s63 injectors. Got them from Dorche. Seem to be same price as n55's...make sure you get new couplers. Since I'm swapping mine out, I can sell you my n55 ones. Just depends how quick you need them. Goes in the shop next week.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      12-06-2023, 04:37 PM   #167
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
Im replacing mine with s63 injectors. Got them from Dorche. Seem to be same price as n55's...make sure you get new couplers. Since I'm swapping mine out, I can sell you my n55 ones. Just depends how quick you need them. Goes in the shop next week.
I might take you up on it, I'm going to check the plug really quick and also the PNs on the injectors to see what kind they are. I have a few in my cart already.

What a waste of a day, I I'm on my 3rd revision and I can't even test it.
      12-29-2023, 11:01 AM   #168
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I've basically taken this thread over, I should probably make my own at this point.

I replaced the injector and the spark plugs with the same version (NGKs) with the stock gap out of the box. The plugs I had before were the same, with likely less than 20K on them, but since I was there and FCP has a free lifetime replacement....you know.

Here is a quick test of the revision last I was running before my injector gave out on the dyno, some quick observations:

53F outside, the intercooler was basically 4-8F ambient for the first 3 runs (very first run was 2-4F over ambient)

Not sure if I should have gapped the plugs, but I notice that my timing isn't as clean. The last time I didn't install the plugs myself, so I'm unsure of if the shop gapped them.

Fuel is Costco 93

MAF Reading is actually quite a bit higher than before at the same boost level, but I'm not sure how. This was consistent between the runs and versus my previous runs.

Power is "down" because I'm running less timing right now
Attached Images