BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Estoril Blue 335i v Long Beach Blue M2

10-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #155
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
I finally found a LBB X6M locally. I went today to look at it. It's 95% blue, even in direct sunlight. You can slightly see some green, leading to a teal hint, in some angles and lighting. But that small amount of green only adds to the emotion of the color.

Overall it's an amazing color. I was very indifferent because I was scared it was too metallic and too teal. That's not the case and it's a lovely color. An EB car was a few spots down and looked downright pedestrian compared to LBB.

I will now order my M2 in LBB. It's an easy decision.

Everyone - just go find a car in LBB and go take a look. It's too hard of a color to show in pictures.
I agree. I saw LBB in person today too on a X6M and iPhone pictures make the color seem like a darker shade of "blue" than in person. I do think the color is definitely blue though, just a lighter shade. I think it is a very dynamic color in person and I think i'm still 90% leaning towards LBB because the other colors are uninspiring. I really wish I had the chance to see it outside though (as this was in the showroom).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #156
TGDavey
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 - AW --> SUNROOF

My car is Alpine white and looks so good but when selecting a colour for my M2 has been difficult.

Yes Im sure this can be sorted by seeing them in the flesh but hey what dealer will have all colours on show especially if the M2 will be in demand.

Personally LBB gives the car a performance look and the Alpine is more of a dressy colour.

Had a WRX in WR Blue which is darker then LBB and it got a little hard to look at after i owned it for a while.

LBB would be better served if the silver section of the rim was presented in chrome.

Last edited by TGDavey; 10-31-2015 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #157
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Maybe we can all get along by calling the color Long Teal Blue as compromise ?
      11-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #158
e-man2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

So I had the chance to see this color in person and I was shocked how teal it looked. The following walk around video is a pretty accurate representation of the color. I do think that in some lighting it looks amazing, but more often than not it will turn heads for the wrong reason.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8gmai2yCKzI
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #159
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Maybe we can all get along by calling the color Long Teal Blue as compromise ?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #160
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m981addicts View Post
If I decided to buy an M2 in blue, it would be LMB, IB, or EB (in that order).
So what you saying then, is that it would be BSM, MG or AW..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 04:26 AM   #161
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I repeatedly tried to like LBB, but still to date I can't. Sorry.

To my eyes LBB remains a bit hesitational, ambiguous, as if it can't choose what color it actually wants to be, shifting too hard under different light(ing) conditions.

Make it for example red or orange and we get a different story.

I think the red looks great!
      11-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #162
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man2 View Post
So I had the chance to see this color in person and I was shocked how teal it looked. The following walk around video is a pretty accurate representation of the color. I do think that in some lighting it looks amazing, but more often than not it will turn heads for the wrong reason.

It is very possible that BMW, reacting to substantial criticism of the LBB color on the M2, has altered the formula of the LBB paint to reduce the greenish hue in the paint.
The reason I say that is because I have yet to see any pictures of the M2 in LBB which looks like the LBB color on the X6M in this video. I've seen Pictures of other LBB X cars (X5M, e.g.) also showing the distinct greenish teal.
On the other hand, every picture (under various lighting) of an LBB M2 I've seen so far shows a much truer blue and not that much teal in the hue at all. Certainly, no where close to the teal showing on the X6M in the video.
It wouldn't be the first time BMW slightly altered a paint formula and left the name the same. For example, the paint titled "Blue Water Metallic" on the E39 series cars has noticeably less blue in it than the paint titled "Blue Water Metallic" on later 3 series cars. In this case, I guess they just wanted to bring the blue out a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #163
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
It is very possible that BMW, reacting to substantial criticism of the LBB color on the M2, has altered the formula of the LBB paint to reduce the greenish hue in the paint.
The reason I say that is because I have yet to see any pictures of the M2 in LBB which looks like the LBB color on the X6M in this video. I've seen Pictures of other LBB X cars (X5M, e.g.) also showing the distinct greenish teal.
On the other hand, every picture (under various lighting) of an LBB M2 I've seen so far shows a much truer blue and not that much teal in the hue at all. Certainly, no where close to the teal showing on the X6M in the video.
It wouldn't be the first time BMW slightly altered a paint formula and left the name the same. For example, the paint titled "Blue Water Metallic" on the E39 series cars has noticeably less blue in it than the paint titled "Blue Water Metallic" on later 3 series cars. In this case, I guess they just wanted to bring the blue out a bit.
I can't see BMW tinkering with the LBB paint configuration already at this stage. LBB is LBB.

BMW seems to be pretty enthusiastic about this color (X5M, X6M, M2). I doubt that they have already the impression that "substantial criticism" exists. M2 forums like this Bimmerpost forum, are small bubbles.

Many will order the M2 in LBB, as it's promoted as launch color and based on official pictures. After delivery, some will truly love LBB. Some will convince themselves that they do or should do (no way back - the car is there). And others will have to deal with a teal/turquoise hangover.
      11-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #164
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
It looked like this video to me (on an M2) in person.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #165
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It looked like this video to me (on an M2) in person.
It actually looks even more turquoise than in the video.I have seen the X5M a bunch of times now in Long Beach Blue and none of the pictures or videos show exactly what the color looks like in person.No one should order the color based on any picture or video,they should definitely see the color in person.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #166
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
It actually looks even more turquoise than in the video.
Pictures?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #167
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Without calibrated monitor and camera you're wasting your time probably. Gotta see it in person
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #168
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Pictures?
Here are a few more X5M Long Beach Blue outside pictures,that I took with my iphone at my dealer this week.The color still looks more turquoise in person than in these pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #169
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah, your pics make it look more like Monte Carlo or Estoril Blue.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #170
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket
Quote:
Pictures?
Here are a few more X5M Long Beach Blue outside pictures,that I took with my iphone at my dealer this week.The color still looks more turquoise in person than in these pics.
for sure ... OP has pics that looks really close to the real thing
      11-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #171
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
There is no way to convince me the OPs green M2 is the same color as the blue X5 you've posted. You can come up with all the plausible explanations you want to reconcile the colors in the two pictures; but, the simple truth to the eye is - the colors are different.
As has been mentioned, we'll just have to wait and see it when it arrives. In the meantime, I'll continue to believe they came to their senses and took some of the girly green out of the LBB color.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #172
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no way to convince me the OPs green M2 is the same color as the blue X5 you've posted. You can come up with all the plausible explanations you want to reconcile the colors in the two pictures; but, the simple truth to the eye is - the colors are different.
As has been mentioned, we'll just have to wait and see it when it arrives. In the meantime, I'll continue to believe they came to their senses and took some of the girly green out of the LBB color.
I agree with the colors look different, but it depends what type of device you have to take pictures. I have pictures on my phone of a LBB X6M that in no way represent what I saw in person. On my iPhone 6+ it looked more blue without that turquoise tinge to it, while in person it had a slight green hue. It also changes when looked at in certain light and which angle you catch it. You definitely have to experience this color in person as it can change based upon a number of factors. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the color at this point in time (even after seeing it in person), but I really don't want the other 3 colors, so for me it's LBB by default.

Here are a few pics that I took. As you can see, lighting, angles, etc. can change the color. I even took an "up close" shot to try to really capture the color.

Last edited by MTHRAR; 11-21-2015 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Pictures
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #173
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Saw it in the rain ( LBB X6M ) going the other way today. Definitely brighter than EBII, and, well, it definitely reminded me of tropical waters. More turquoise than teal :P lol
      11-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #174
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR
Quote:
I agree with the colors look different, but it depends what type of device you have to take pictures. I have pictures on my phone of a LBB X6M that in no way represent what I saw in person. On my iPhone 6+ it looked more blue without that turquoise tinge to it, while in person it had a slight green hue. It also changes when looked at in certain light and which angle you catch it. You definitely have to experience this color in person as it can change based upon a number of factors. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the color at this point in time (even after seeing it in person), but I really don't want the other 3 colors, so for me it's LBB by default.

Here are a few pics that I took. As you can see, lighting, angles, etc. can change the color. I even took an "up close" shot to try to really capture the color.

that last close-up pic looks closest to LBB to me
      11-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #175
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
that last close-up pic looks closest to LBB to me
Totally agree and that is why I got as close as I could. It's extremely hard to capture when taking potato pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #176
neckthrough
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i, 350z

Are you guys even aware of the concept of White Balance? The exact same phone or camera will show the same color very differently depending on (a) the actual prevailing lighting conditions, and (b) what the camera's software perceives as the prevailing lighting conditions and color corrections it applies as a result.

Add to that variations in camera sensors and WB calibration settings, and monitor calibration (as others have pointed out, most people have crappily calibrated monitors) and it's ABSURD to compare anything but two cars next to each other in the *same* picture and even then you can only tell a somewhat relative difference.
Appreciate 0