//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Driving impressions incoming

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm picking up tomorrow... I'll be getting through my break-in very quickly I'll do the break in service by Monday.

Photo of her waiting in storage. It was delivered early and I hadn't ordered my bank check from USAA. (No branches) check is coming tomorrow. I will let you all know how it is, I'm lucky enough to drive a lot of cars including P cars, and track a decent amount so I think I'll have a good frame of reference, haven't driven OG M2 recently though.
Attached Images

M-Pilot4859.00
Tag18119.50
hellrotm4142.50
Davil6467.50
JTO245271.50
DARKMTTR229.00
dmboone254972.00
cptobvious2531.50
ChrisK4449.00
AlpsRider2863.50
      08-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I'm picking up tomorrow... I'll be getting through my break-in very quickly I'll do the break in service by Monday.

Photo of her waiting in storage. It was delivered early and I hadn't ordered my bank check from USAA. (No branches) check is coming tomorrow. I will let you all know how it is, I'm lucky enough to drive a lot of cars including P cars, and track a decent amount so I think I'll have a good frame of reference, haven't driven OG M2 recently though.
Congrats!!!
      08-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:45 PM   #4
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

Congrats! Where are you located? I would love to see hockenheim in person before mine arrives in late September.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:55 PM   #5
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I wanna see an M2c in southern california in person.

Congrats man. Please give us driving impressions. Looks like you will be driving all weekend long to get through the break in! Fun stuff.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 01:37 AM   #6
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Congrats. Like these pics with the white protective film on. Really shows how grey HS is.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Awesome - can't wait to see more real life pics of HS.

Congrats!
      08-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Congrats!
      08-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
Hooptie157
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Congrats. I love the 1200 mile in one weekend breakin.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Well done!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Congrats! Looking forward to review and more pics!

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #12
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone. I'll post more photos later today. It's definitely NOT white in person, I'd say pearl silver fits, but I'll have to see it in some different light to get the full picture but at least indoors it's for sure silver not white at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #13
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'll post more photos later today. It's definitely NOT white in person, I'd say pearl silver fits, but I'll have to see it in some different light to get the full picture but at least indoors it's for sure silver not white at all.
More lightish grey than silver or straight up silver ? In photos it is looking a lighter greyish-silver. Some people have commented Hockenheim Grey would be more appropriate than silver.

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub486 View Post
Congrats! Where are you located? I would love to see hockenheim in person before mine arrives in late September.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2 View Post
Congrats!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbahoshy View Post
More lightish grey than silver or straight up silver ? In photos it is looking a lighter greyish-silver. Some people have commented Hockenheim Grey would be more appropriate than silver.
I would call it titanium silver from the E46 but with a pearl instead of metallic finish. So indoors without light shining on it it does look kind of Grey because the Pearl is a finer finish than the metallic. If that makes sense. I can already tell in the sunlight it's going to be light silver.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #15
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looking forward to your pics and driving impressions.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      08-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Nice! So those are the dark wheels?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:47 AM   #17
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Enjoy! congrats on your new car.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #18
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok impression time, now bear in mind I am a tough critic, the M2C is a great car but it's not a full sports car in my opinion. Not a cayman competitor but a great more refined vehicle, perfect daily.

I was wrong about Hockenheim silver it is light gray in indirect light and pearl white in the Sun. Nice color I like it, and I'm usually a dark blue black kind of guy.

Suspension is good, some people said it's really stiff I live in the northeast our roads suck, the suspension let's you feel the road really well but it has good dampening, I am younger but I do not think it is too stiff at all in fact I thought with the competition name it would be stiffer. The front axle of this thing is rediculious, front end grip is great. I took it to some mountain roads and honestly through decreasing radius corners you need to hang on tight even with the M3 seats I wish for more upper body support, it's pretty impressive.

Steering.... Road feel is aweful, for some reason I really thought with the new calibrations there would be some road feel through to the steering wheel... Nope completely numb, the weighting is really good with the three modes, rack is very precise, top notch, but it transmits zilch from the road. Suspension does give you a decent idea, but lack of road surface transmission does dissapoint me and is a big reason why I can't consider it a Cayman competitor. If you're car shopping for a sports car and you want something for the canyons and that kind of spirited driving only, then a used Cayman is the way better choice.

Manual trans: decent not Porsche level shifter feel, a bit notchy but decent. If you never driven manual before or haven't driven manual in a long time this is a great car to start with. It has an interesting launch assist which means you don't have to use the gas pedal at all to make a normal start. If you let the clutch out reasonably slowly the RPMs will jump up to just under a thousand and as you let the clutch out it'll keep the RPM's even without lugging the motor, perfect start each time but it's not the quickest start. If you do the normal 2-foot thing it doesn't intervene. Rev matching is perfect and actually very convenient. For sure the easiest manual car I've ever driven, the car also does something on upshifts as well to help smooth them out. if you're real purest it may bother you but I don't mind I like rowing my own Gears and it's nice not to have to be 100.00% precise and the car will clean it up. You can tell because I did turn DSC off and I could tell both the obviously missing rev matching but also on the upshifts. 6th gear is pretty short you can tell the final drive was picked for the DCT I'm doing very close to 3000 RPM at 80 miles an hour.

The engine is great very very smooth good low-end torque I haven't brought it over 3500 RPM yet. The exhaust is very good does NOT sound like an M3 or M4 ZCP, it sounds better, I think the cow udder actually does have a purpose. The over rev popcorn is also new as well and sounds fantastic when you're standing behind the car in person, the videos do not do it justice. Exhaust changes in all three modes, sport has some very light over run it's barely noticeable from inside. The exhaust volume changes in all three modes as well (not just ASD either). Popcorn doesn't work even on a warm start for the first 90 seconds probably due to an emissions "cat warming" mode. Even on a warm start you can hear the tone change after the first 60 to 90 seconds and then when you rev you get popcorn. The liquid intercooler stay silly cold, it was 73 degrees out last night and granted I was on the highway before I pulled off the exit but I had the car sitting heat soaking for probably about 5 minutes before I opened the hood and touched the liquid intercooler cooler to find it very cool almost cold, having never owns an S55 vehicle that was pretty impressive my B58 340i was always warm even in the winter. The s55 is really crammed in there there's no space for anything.

Interior is solid, no complaints the new Generation iDrive is very smooth thus far. Something that frustrated me at first was the efficient dynamics bar below the revs that stayed there even in sport plus. In Idrive underneath display settings you tick a box and it changes it to the steering and engine settings which is much preferable for a M car. Silly default that is hidden to change.

The M2 in the seats does light up when you lock and unlock the car it's a nice touch.

The brakes are awesome, very effective but not dramatic at all, they slow the car without pushing your head forward. Did have to get in them very hard one time on the mountain roads due to seeing a cop around the bend (lucky catch that would of been awkward) and it slowed the car extremely quickly and without drama or stress. The front calipers are enormous and barely clear the 19 inch wheels. They cover almost half of the brake disc, they didn't look that large in the photos.

I got the darker wheels and the tinted clear coat is nice but it's like a light window tint the front surface is still very much metal colored. The sides of the spokes are powder coated black.

Impressions of rear traction and the rear end in general will have to wait as the diff is the real thing that's being broken in the first 1200 miles and I want to be nice to it, until the fluid is changed.

I think that's about it for now if anyone has any other questions I'll be happy to answer. By the way there's a 0% chance of me getting this break in done in one weekend I was very optimistic with that. Haha I have 350 miles. Full disclosure I spent the afternoon the day before picking it up driving a 16 Boxster Spyder so I guess I may be a bit jaded but BMW definitely made a conscious decision with the steering to go from mass-market daily "sporty" driver there's no way they are that inept, the rest of the car is great.

Last edited by //M; 08-11-2018 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 13
ryem31042.00
m20e30871144.00
devo755.00
cptobvious2531.50
mrgc33.50
///M Houbi1653.00
IAF109.50
KevinM2935.50
seis-speed2430.50
DARKMTTR229.00
      08-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #19
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

^ Nice review, thanks for taking the time... looking forward to mine.

The Spyder is a great ride !

Break in is the same as the M2 <5,500 rpms yes?
      08-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #20
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Ok impression time, now bear in mind I am a tough critic, the M2C is a great car but it's not a full sports car in my opinion. Not a cayman competitor but a great more refined vehicle, perfect daily.

I was wrong about Hockenheim silver it is light gray in indirect light and pearl white in the Sun. Nice color I like it, and I'm usually a dark blue black kind of guy.

Suspension is good, some people said it's really stiff I live in the northeast our roads suck, the suspension let's you feel the road really well but it has good dampening, I am younger but I do not think it is too stiff at all in fact I thought with the competition name it would be stiffer. The front axle of this thing is rediculious, front end grip is great. I took it to some mountain roads and honestly through decreasing radius corners you need to hang on tight even with the M3 seats I wish for more upper body support, it's pretty impressive.

Steering.... Road feel is aweful, for some reason I really thought with the new calibrations there would be some road feel through to the steering wheel... Nope completely numb, the weighting is really good with the three modes, rack is very precise, top notch, but it transmits zilch from the road. Suspension does give you a decent idea, but lack of road surface transmission does dissapoint me and is a big reason why I can't consider it a Cayman competitor. If you're car shopping for a sports car and you want something for the canyons and that kind of spirited driving only, then a used Cayman is the way better choice.

Manual trans: decent not Porsche level shifter feel, a bit notchy but decent. If you never driven manual before or haven't driven manual in a long time this is a great car to start with. It has an interesting launch assist which means you don't have to use the gas pedal at all to make a normal start. If you let the clutch out reasonably slowly the RPMs will jump up to just under a thousand and as you let the clutch out it'll keep the RPM's even without lugging the motor, perfect start each time but it's not the quickest start. If you do the normal 2-foot thing it doesn't intervene. Rev matching is perfect and actually very convenient. For sure the easiest manual car I've ever driven, the car also does something on upshifts as well to help smooth them out. if you're real purest it may bother you but I don't mind I like rowing my own Gears and it's nice not to have to be 100.00% precise and the car will clean it up. You can tell because I did turn DSC off and I could tell both the obviously missing rev matching but also on the upshifts. 6th gear is pretty short you can tell the final drive was picked for the DCT I'm doing very close to 3000 RPM at 80 miles an hour.

The engine is great very very smooth good low-end torque I haven't brought it over 3500 RPM yet. The exhaust is very good does NOT sound like an M3 or M4 ZCP, it sounds better, I think the cow udder actually does have a purpose. The over rev popcorn is also new as well and sounds fantastic when you're standing behind the car in person, the videos do not do it justice. Exhaust changes in all three modes, sport has some very light over run it's barely noticeable from inside. The exhaust volume changes in all three modes as well (not just ASD either). Popcorn doesn't work even on a warm start for the first 90 seconds probably due to an emissions "cat warming" mode. Even on a warm start you can hear the tone change after the first 60 to 90 seconds and then when you rev you get popcorn. The liquid intercooler stay silly cold, it was 73 degrees out last night and granted I was on the highway before I pulled off the exit but I had the car sitting heat soaking for probably about 5 minutes before I opened the hood and touched the liquid intercooler cooler to find it very cool almost cold, having never owns an S55 vehicle that was pretty impressive my B58 340i was always warm even in the winter. The s55 is really crammed in there there's no space for anything.

Interior is solid, no complaints the new Generation iDrive is very smooth thus far. Something that frustrated me at first was the efficient dynamics bar below the revs that stayed there even in sport plus. In Idrive underneath display settings you tick a box and it changes it to the steering and engine settings which is much preferable for a M car. Silly default that is hidden to change.

The M2 in the seats does light up when you lock and unlock the car it's a nice touch.

The brakes are awesome, very effective but not dramatic at all, they slow the car without pushing your head forward. Did have to get in them very hard one time on the mountain roads due to seeing a cop around the bend (lucky catch that would of been awkward) and it slowed the car extremely quickly and without drama or stress. The front calipers are enormous and barely clear the 19 inch wheels. They cover almost half of the brake disc, they didn't look that large in the photos.

I got the darker wheels and the tinted clear coat is nice but it's like a light window tint the front surface is still very much metal colored. The sides of the spokes are powder coated black.

Impressions of rear traction and the rear end in general will have to wait as the diff is the real thing that's being broken in the first 1200 miles and I want to be nice to it, until the fluid is changed.

I think that's about it for now if anyone has any other questions I'll be happy to answer. By the way there's a 0% chance of me getting this break in done in one weekend I was very optimistic with that. Haha I have 350 miles. Full disclosure I spent the afternoon the day before picking it up driving a 16 Boxster Spyder so I guess I may be a bit jaded but BMW definitely made a conscious decision with the steering to go from mass-market daily "sporty" driver there's no way they are that inept, the rest of the car is great.
Nice review so far! Thanks for that. I have mine on order and my only concern is missing my LCI M2 with the switch...I do love the exhaust note. I have noticed lag a lot when I didn't expect it which hopefully won't exist with the S55 engine. Typically coming out of tight corners from a low rpm really gassing it, could be just the electronics kicking in though...
Love your description of the color. I'm on the fence but I don't like black, hate the "copper" color and the blue would probably shine like the sun to any and all cops on the roads...and I do drive fast most all of the time. Don't care to lose my license!!! My mineral grey M2 does a great job of being stealthy while looking amazing, although I had wanted to put on some carbon fiber bling but don't see the point since you wouldn't notice. The HS color would solve that problem!

Keep it coming! Drive hard!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #21
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hmm I hate to hear that’s it pearl white in full sun.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #22
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Taken seconds apart on my Galaxy S7

Not sure if this helps. You all just need to see it in person it's not a crappy color
Attached Images

Last edited by //M; 08-11-2018 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 4
M-Pilot4859.00
cptobvious2531.50