BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Several questions regarding buying a used BMW M2 out of state

01-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #1
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 AW DCT

Several questions regarding buying a used BMW M2 out of state

So I know the BMW Ultimate Care Maintenance plan is not transferable. So Say I was to buy a used BMW M2 with 10-15k miles from a authorized BMW dealer, it'll be prudent for me to also get the maintenance plan that they'll most likely try to sell to me right? I dont know too much about car maintenance other than taking care of a flat so taking care of things myself is out of the questions.

Also if I was to buy an out of state M2, do I buy the maintenance program from the dealer that sold me the car or the dealer in my city?

Do most dealers help with transportation/shipping of the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Maintenance only includes oil changes. I would skip it. The 4 year warranty is transferable.

Most dealer make transportation of the vehicle your problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Second what Dan said. Oil changes are done yearly depending on driving habits and typically do not cost more than 150 bucks or so at a dealership.

Skip the maintenance plan.
Appreciate 1
DanG10568.50
      01-08-2019, 12:40 AM   #4
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Why skip the maintenance plan? So I got quoted 4.5k for 1 additional year for warranty and 4.2k for 4 years of maintenance. I told them that is excessively high.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #5
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcus View Post
Why skip the maintenance plan? So I got quoted 4.5k for 1 additional year for warranty and 4.2k for 4 years of maintenance. I told them that is excessively high.
You answered your own question.
Appreciate 3
trey1001125.00
      01-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
ec90
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

The only thing I'd caution with transport if you work it yourself is to make sure you use a transport company not a broker who will sell it off to another company. Intercity was phenomenal when I used them, had constant updates and the driver called me each day starting a few days out to let me know when to expect. I think they also allow GPS tracking via their website for the truck. They ran about $1/mile for covered transport.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 01:46 AM   #7
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

I purchased an M2C at an out of state dealer in Denver 3 weeks ago. I was out of town for the holidays and asked for the dealer to hold the car until early Jan. It was picked up at the dealer on Jan 4 and I was provided an update that the car should be available for drop off/pick up sometime tomorrow.

I did not shop around different transport carriers for quotes. I was going out of town and did not want to deal with it so I just paid the dealer to use the same transport company they use to transport cars to/from their dealership. I'm pretty sure they charged me a high fee and I probably could of got a better rate if I shopped around and did it myself. They are not using an enclosed transport so there could be more risks with potential damage.

I've only transported a motorcycle across country (NYC to CA) and had no issues with the transport and delivery so I'm crossing my fingers and hope I have a positive experience with the car.

I'm just dreading that I'll have to go back to the DMV to register the car. I wasted a lot of time at the DMV trying to register my out of state motorcycle (2 days ~ and over 3-4 hrs each visit). I actually have to go to the CHP and DMV one more time and hopefully get it finally registered. I'm hoping I do not have to deal with same issues with registering the car but overall the discount I received should be worth dealing with the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

If the dealer does a lot of out of state transactions (Ebay, etc.), they may have a good connection to help you arrange transport for the vehicle. If they're a smaller dealer, they may not, and could look to charge a premium on helping arrange transportation.

I bought my M2 from an out of state BMW dealer and decided to go pick it up myself. Obviously, this is prohibitive if the car you're looking at is really far away (Seattle, New England, etc. for you), but is something to consider to make sure you have the chance to inspect the car thoroughly before dropping $45-55k. Luckily, I ended up finding mine in a neighboring state that was only a few hundred miles away, but was looking at cars as far away as New Jersey (~1000 miles). I figured a one way flight (~$200 max) plus gas and some meals would be far less than shipping the car. It would also provide the opportunity for an extended (albeit highly paranoid) test drive.

Lastly, aWanderlustSeoul , this may be moot since you already purchased your car, but my dealer was still able to arrange all of the Tax, Title, Registration, Plates, etc. even though I was out of state. I didn't have to deal with Illinois DMVs at all unless I was calling them to check on the status of my plates.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderlustSeoul View Post
I purchased an M2C at an out of state dealer in Denver 3 weeks ago. I was out of town for the holidays and asked for the dealer to hold the car until early Jan. It was picked up at the dealer on Jan 4 and I was provided an update that the car should be available for drop off/pick up sometime tomorrow.

I did not shop around different transport carriers for quotes. I was going out of town and did not want to deal with it so I just paid the dealer to use the same transport company they use to transport cars to/from their dealership. I'm pretty sure they charged me a high fee and I probably could of got a better rate if I shopped around and did it myself. They are not using an enclosed transport so there could be more risks with potential damage.

I've only transported a motorcycle across country (NYC to CA) and had no issues with the transport and delivery so I'm crossing my fingers and hope I have a positive experience with the car.

I'm just dreading that I'll have to go back to the DMV to register the car. I wasted a lot of time at the DMV trying to register my out of state motorcycle (2 days ~ and over 3-4 hrs each visit). I actually have to go to the CHP and DMV one more time and hopefully get it finally registered. I'm hoping I do not have to deal with same issues with registering the car but overall the discount I received should be worth dealing with the hassle.
thank for the heads up! I bought the m2 they said they could transport it but I didn't know they might get a cut... expected. I might just get my own. I end up getting a new 2018 White M2 for a really good price .
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #10
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

Quote:
thank for the heads up! I bought the m2 they said they could transport it but I didn't know they might get a cut... expected. I might just get my own. I end up getting a new 2018 White M2 for a really good price .
Congrats on the new car!

The dealer charged me $950 for the transport from Denver to Southern California. How much is the dealer quoting you for transport and did you get other quotes?

If you do not mind sharing, what dealer did you buy from and how much discount did you get?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:17 AM   #11
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on the new car!

The dealer charged me $950 for the transport from Denver to Southern California. How much is the dealer quoting you for transport and did you get other quotes?

If you do not mind sharing, what dealer did you buy from and how much discount did you get?
I got 15% off MSRP but i needed to finance through BMW for minm 6 month with a 3.84% rate, considering I'm not top tier credit 800+ I think its not bad. They didn't give me a quote on the shipping yet. I got it from BMW of Fort Wayne. I notice a lot of BMW dealers up north usually have decent deals, including anywhere near Arkansas or Kansas maybe because people prefer AWD? Cali is retarded still asking MSRPfor 2018 models lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Congrats on the new car!

I got 15% off MSRP but i needed to finance through BMW for minm 6 month with a 3.84% rate, considering I'm not top tier credit 800+ I think its not bad. They didn't give me a quote on the shipping yet. I got it from BMW of Fort Wayne. I notice a lot of BMW dealers up north usually have decent deals, including anywhere near Arkansas or Kansas maybe because people prefer AWD? Cali is retarded still asking MSRPfor 2018 models lol.
740+ gets best rate

Ask dealer to use your best score?

beware they like to inflate finance rate, it's up to the dealer what they will offer

ask with a high credit score what is the rate I can get from bmw financial, ask a couple dealers too in your market

Likely you will see 2.89% to 5.55% 60 months

My dealer played games but doesn't matter much I'm planning on paying off the car this year

They had leverage on me holding allocation no choice but to agree or wait months for another dealer
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
740+ gets best rate

Ask dealer to use your best score?

beware they like to inflate finance rate, it's up to the dealer what they will offer

ask with a high credit score what is the rate I can get from bmw financial, ask a couple dealers too in your market

Likely you will see 2.89% to 5.55% 60 months

My dealer played games but doesn't matter much I'm planning on paying off the car this year

They had leverage on me holding allocation no choice but to agree or wait months for another dealer
To expand on this, if you have excellent credit, tell them right off the bat and ask what rate you'll get. Do not let them ding your credit unless its needed. (Really though, with how credit works these days, you can run multiple inquiries for the same reason and it only counts as one within a given time period)

Last edited by detroitm2; 01-30-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50