BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 (F87) Gets More Advanced Body + New Video + Nurburgring Sighting

09-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #199
chuckthis
Toomany///Ms
Rep
Drives: 1M & M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Here's to some speculation:

If the M2 turns out to be a hit - and who are we to doubt that - I guess that it may cross the minds of some at BMW M to look into the option of conceiving a CSL version (Coupé Sport Leichtbau = Leightweight Sports Coupé): a street-legal hardcore M2 with the bare essentials and low on options choices (e.g. M carbon-ceramic brakes), capable of stunning and frustrating the competition.

If BMW keeps the volumes low/limited, it could even take the bold decision to sell these at a 'premium' price within the near vicinity of M3/M4 territory. The market exists - enthusiasts and collectors are prepared to pay top-dollar for a limited edition pocket-rocket (that they likely won't use as daily driver).

See also for example http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800184

By the way, back in the day, the fairly exciting idea of a 1M CSL or 1M GTS was short-lived. I guess that BMW M decided that it lacked time and budget, but that it committed to reconsider the feasibility of a CSL version with a future model (M2, F2X M).
There were thoughts of an extreme 1M, Scott mentioned it but they couldn't because the 1ers were due to be changed to the 2 series. There wouldn't have been enough time to recoup the investment involved in developing the model.

But let's not forget another BMWNA decision. They had the choice between the 1M and the M3 GTS. They chose the 1M because they didn't think a six figure M3 would sell. Hopefully when it comes to the next-gen models they won't make a one-or-the-other choice and say yes to all the above!

Previous: Many E46 M3s, a few E9x M3s, '15 F82 M4, '16 F80 M3, F87 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #200
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckthis View Post
But let's not forget another BMWNA decision. They had the choice between the 1M and the M3 GTS. They chose the 1M because they didn't think a six figure M3 would sell. Hopefully when it comes to the next-gen models they won't make a one-or-the-other choice and say yes to all the above!
I know a dealer that still tries to get rid of a brand new E90 M3 CTR. To no avail.
      09-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #201
chuckthis
Toomany///Ms
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I know a dealer that still tries to get rid of a brand new E90 M3 CTR. To no avail.
It's a tough pill to swallow. Were they selling it at a big markup when it was introduced? Or are they just keeping the trophy in the showroom?

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:28 AM   #202
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
There were thoughts of an extreme 1M, Scott mentioned it but they couldn't because the 1ers were due to be changed to the 2 series. There wouldn't have been enough time to recoup the investment involved in developing the model.
Well, there was the 1M MotoGP, no ?

But I know what you mean. The idea of a hardcore 1M (1M GTS or 1M CSL) must have crossed their minds at some point in time. However, back in 2010/2011 there were time and budget constraints. Something along the lines of "Not now. Let's speak about that again once we get our hands on the next gen model". Likely @Scott26 referred to that in the past. He's an insider - I'm not. Don't forget that there was initially uncertainty about how the 1M would be perceived by the market. From a commercial point of view, the 1M exceeded all expectations. It also made the ///M colors shine to the max again. Must have been one of the best return-on-investment projects for BMW: not only the sales figures of the 1M were spectacular, but also in the prestige department it got BMW some extra points ("Look what we're capable of - folks, it was just a quick fun project").

Undoubtedly, the competition was/is pretty envious about it. For example, in October 2012 AMG R&D chief Tobias Moers referred to the 1M as benchmark within its league: "But I soon realized that this [the project of developing the Merc A45 AMG] was a unique opportunity to rewrite the rules, to set new standards and eclipse the competition. From day one, I wanted this car to better the BMW 1-series M Coupe." (http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...amg_prototype/). And you know what: we know by now that he spoke too fast because the AMG failed to top the 1M's success. The aspired "eclipse" didn't happen: despite all preparation, care and marketing drum rolls, the egg didn't hatch. Good car, no doubt about that, but it won't go down into car history books as a game changer. The 1M on the contrary - though no longer for sale - is still king of its category, it got its claim to fame.

For the 1M itself, we do know that the race from conception to birth was a rushed one (allow me to rub some extra salt in the Merc A45 AMG wound again: "AMG has secretly worked on the new hatchback for four years" - http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...-bmw-1-m-21160). There wasn't even time and money for lavish marketing campaigns. Actually, from hindsight, the successful marketing videos (2010 teasers + 2011 ads) weren't key for its success. No, the real key to the 1M's success ...was the car itself: res ipsa loquitur. Those who got the chance to behold it IRL and drive it, will advocate it.

Quote:
It's a tough pill to swallow. Were they selling it at a big markup when it was introduced? Or are they just keeping the trophy in the showroom?
No, it's just an example of a tough economic law + changed market circumstances: if the price-point is/remains higher than the meeting point of supply and demand, than that E90 CRT M3 will stay on the lot. Let's face it, with those ball park figures, potential buyers look into other options (think Porsche, etc.). If there is something to swallow, then it should be the pride to offer the car at MSRP or close to it.

That's also why IMHO the M2 has lots of potential to be successful: its price-point will remain within 'affordable' territory for quite some family budgets compared to the one required for getting a new M3/M4. I hear that comment here and there: "Looking into getting a new M3/M4 but the wife says «no»".

Definitely, BMW should *not* underestimate this factor: convincing your significant other in getting yourself an M2 will be less challenging than getting her/him onto your side to getting you a decently optioned M3/M4. Although only few information is known to date about the M2, we can be pretty sure that BMW M will arrange that the M2 will be nothing less than the best alternative to an M3/M4 and, by extension, to most of the competition: you will get the best value for money package. In ///M we trust: the ///M badges and premium price will live up to their expectations.

Okay, it will not step all over M3/M4 toes: the 0-62mph and quarter mile times as well as V-Max of the M2 will be kept - on purpose - under those of M3/M4, but at a whisper only. However, in real world driving you will not experience the difference, except if you're really experienced and/or a track aficionado. It's a bit like the megapixel battle of cameras: can you spot the difference between 16 and 20 megapixels ? For the rest the M2 might not feature all the M3/M4 technology, gems, gizmos and gimmicks, but a fair part of it, nevertheless.

Will the M2 'canibalize' M3/M4 sales ? I guess only to a lesser extent. For quite some the M3/M4 is no realistic option - you think more than twice before a "splash the cash". The M2 will have a more convenient price and size for most (not sure whether the 'bigger size' argument is actually a benefit for the M3/M4 - for me it's rather a hazard: too 'bloated' for my taste, but maybe I change my mind in the future). Upon trying to understand the car market, you'll see that the M2 will 'pigeonhole' the complementary market segment on which the 1M has royally capitalized: affordable pocket-rocket excellence featuring an eye-appealing muscular stance.

Nowadays, it's all about the hunt for brand fidelity: getting the customer drive your brand and aspire that (s)he will get more of your products and/or promote these to family, friends and acquaintances. BMW: keep the price-point for the M2 'affordable' and its ownership might have the potential of a being a 'stepping stone' for selling other cars (not necessary ///M cars) in the future to the same customer or people (s)he knows.

I said it before and I say it again: with the M2, BMW M has gold on/in its hands. If they pull it off smartly, it will be a cash cow for BMW and a joy for the enthusiasts. Exciting times are ahead. Let the competition start to get nervous about the coming of the new kid in town: the highly anticipated M2.
      09-29-2014, 04:10 AM   #203
Wilson
Private
Rep
Drives: broken down

Artemis, I'm not here to rain on your parade, because I'm a believer too.

But there might be a couple of holes in your theory, first, how do you categorize the 1M as exceeding all expectations from a commercial point of view? The vehicle was built in very limited numbers, which inter alia creates its own demand. Had it been available as an unlimited production run, who knows.

So, yes they all sold, but did they get a return on investment, considering the very limited run, I'm not sure.

Secondly, the other German manufactures aren't going to let BMW have the pitch all to themselves this time, they are all preparing new vehicles for this category, VW with the R400, Audi with the new RS3 and AMG with the A45 Black.

I suggest you are correct when you say they have gold on their hands with the incoming M2, and I hope its as good as we all want it to be, but the other vehicles in this category will also be gold to their fans.

I'm just saying.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #204
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Artemis, I'm not here to rain on your parade, because I'm a believer too.

But there might be a couple of holes in your theory, first, how do you categorize the 1M as exceeding all expectations from a commercial point of view? The vehicle was built in very limited numbers, which inter alia creates its own demand. Had it been available as an unlimited production run, who knows.

So, yes they all sold, but did they get a return on investment, considering the very limited run, I'm not sure.

Secondly, the other German manufactures aren't going to let BMW have the pitch all to themselves this time, they are all preparing new vehicles for this category, VW with the R400, Audi with the new RS3 and AMG with the A45 Black.

I suggest you are correct when you say they have gold on their hands with the incoming M2, and I hope its as good as we all want it to be, but the other vehicles in this category will also be gold to their fans.

I'm just saying.
I think recently, the competition in the M3/4 category has gotten really really strong. When you pick any of those cars, whether MB or Audi (not so much Lexus IMHO), you are getting some pretty amazing cars. For me personally though, if it can't be had with a manual, I'm not interested, so that rules out of a lot of cars.

The next big segment is going to be the 2er, CLA and RS3. BMW has a HUGE advantage here (that it doesn't have in the other segment). It's the only one RWD, will most likely be one of the lighter cars and best of all, is available in MT which the others usually are not.

As Jeremy Clarkson said: Straight six in the front, manual gearbox in the middle and drive going to the rear. Page 1, chapter 1 of the petrosexual handbook.

For me, I won't be looking anywhere else but at BMW for this segment
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #205
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

As Jeremy Clarkson said: Straight six in the front, manual gearbox in the middle and drive going to the rear. Page 1, chapter 1 of the petrosexual handbook.
I have seen that episode no less than 20 times. Still gives me the shivers! LOL! Its on Netflix if you have it!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #206
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I have seen that episode no less than 20 times. Still gives me the shivers! LOL! Its on Netflix if you have it!
Me too haha. Loved the part when he was making fun of Lotus drivers

I don't see why the M2 would not receive the same kind of praise as the 1M. If anything, the M3/4 recycled parts are even better than the E9x M3 parts (apart from perhaps the hydraulic steering). Everything else should be business as usual
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #207
chuckthis
Toomany///Ms
Rep

Quote:
I think recently, the competition in the M3/4 category has gotten really really strong. When you pick any of those cars, whether MB or Audi (not so much Lexus IMHO), you are getting some pretty amazing cars. For me personally though, if it can't be had with a manual, I'm not interested, so that rules out of a lot of cars.

The next big segment is going to be the 2er, CLA and RS3. BMW has a HUGE advantage here (that it doesn't have in the other segment). It's the only one RWD, will most likely be one of the lighter cars and best of all, is available in MT which the others usually are not.

For me, I won't be looking anywhere else but at BMW for this segment
I love that episode. It's the first one I showed to both my kiddos

I'm going to hoon the new M3 this week. I have no doubts I will like it but will most likely hold onto my E90 for a couple more years and add to the collection with the M2. Audis and the Mercs just don't interest me the same way. I lived in Stuttgart for five years, maybe I have grown bored with them being on every corner. And I can't help but look for the similarities between a VW and Audi when they platform and parts share :P

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #208
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I love that episode. It's the first one I showed to both my kiddos

I'm going to hoon the new M3 this week. I have no doubts I will like it but will most likely hold onto my E90 for a couple more years and add to the collection with the M2. Audis and the Mercs just don't interest me the same way. I lived in Stuttgart for five years, maybe I have grown bored with them being on every corner. And I can't help but look for the similarities between a VW and Audi when they platform and parts share :P
I like the F80 personally. I see you are an M3 fanatic just like me. The only one I haven't driven is the E30, and for the price I think they are overrated anyway.

If I had a need for a car that is quick, and does everything well (including fuel economy), the F80 is my first pick for sure. Having said that, it just doesn't fit my needs. I have 2 dogs, so I need an SUV (would have been fine if they did F81) AND my M cars. So if the sedan is not useful to me, why not get an M2, which will be more compact, fun and cheaper?

Definitely let me know what your thoughts are on the F80. Personally, I still love my E92 just as much and want to keep it for good. So hopefully in 2-3 years, it'll be an E92 M3, M2 and my current 4Runner beater car. PERFECT

P.S. I also have a 99 E36 M3 and an 08 M3 (coupe though)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #209
chuckthis
Toomany///Ms
Rep

Quote:
I like the F80 personally. I see you are an M3 fanatic just like me. The only one I haven't driven is the E30, and for the price I think they are overrated anyway.

If I had a need for a car that is quick, and does everything well (including fuel economy), the F80 is my first pick for sure. Having said that, it just doesn't fit my needs. I have 2 dogs, so I need an SUV (would have been fine if they did F81) AND my M cars. So if the sedan is not useful to me, why not get an M2, which will be more compact, fun and cheaper?

Definitely let me know what your thoughts are on the F80. Personally, I still love my E92 just as much and want to keep it for good. So hopefully in 2-3 years, it'll be an E92 M3, M2 and my current 4Runner beater car. PERFECT

P.S. I also have a 99 E36 M3 and an 08 M3 (coupe though)
I wouldn't buy an E30 M3 in the current price point. On the hunt for a nice E30 non-M though.

Same here, if I didn't already have the E90M (two kids) I would definitely be on the list to buy one. I still won't turn down the opportunity to hoon it but would sell them all if there was an F81. We can dream...

But in the end I will wait for the M2, the styling on the M4 doesn't excite me as much as the M3 does and I don't need another sedan.

BTW, my sedan has the same color combo! Sparkling Graphite on Bamboo Leather.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #210
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matthew
I'm going to need one of these...
Dude I put a deposit down today
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #211
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
How much do they require for deposits?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #212
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakdown61
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
How much do they require for deposits?
Not much, just as a formality. I have a great relationship with the folks at my dealership.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #213
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Can I tell you if anything is familiar with the new render?

Well the side breather and pronounced arches shown here for the front and rear are on the right path, as is the wheel design. The rear valance is similar but there is additional rear breathers like the 1er M Coupe rear bumper.

Although definitely the front end has to be looked at.
Attached Images

10-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #214
Artemis
Rep

Thanks for the update @Scott26. Good times ahead.

Name:  DTM_Winner.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  66.3 KB
      10-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #215
seanq
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Well the side breather and pronounced arches shown here for the front and rear are on the right path, as is the wheel design. The rear valance is similar but there is additional rear breathers like the 1er M Coupe rear bumper.

E46 reborn!! I'm in!

Just sold my 135i and put the money in the m2 fund. Hopefully it will not disappoint, otherwise I will look towards a cayman gts or even pony up a bit and get a 911 gts. Would love to stay with bmw though
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #216
Sebis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87, '18 GTI

Here is the front.
Attached Images

10-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #217
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:36 AM   #218
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanq View Post
E46 reborn!! I'm in!

Just sold my 135i and put the money in the m2 fund. Hopefully it will not disappoint, otherwise I will look towards a cayman gts or even pony up a bit and get a 911 gts. Would love to stay with bmw though
A Cayman GTS, I can understand. But you will likely be able to buy most likely 2 M2s for the price of 1 911 GTS. I'd say that's substancially more than ponying up a bit
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:37 AM   #219
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebis View Post
Here is the front.
These PS' are pretty worthless because we know the car won't look like that. The only good thing about it is that it confirms yellow suits the 2er very nicely imo
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #220
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebis View Post
Here is the front.
Have a look at the camouflaged components within each front air duct in this spy shot:

http://www.2addicts.com/goodiesforyo...-14/M2%201.jpg

I'm thinking these renders are missing large parts of the front aero.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0