BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Impressions after 3 Years of Ownership

08-11-2022, 01:16 PM   #23
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
My take on the steering comment: The steering is fine - IF you've never driven an older BMW with a hydraulic rack. Go flog an E46 ZHP over a mountain pass, THEN tell me the M2c steering is "good". You won't. BMW has had 19+ years to get electric power steering right, and they're still working on it but have yet to equal a hydraulic setup.
Older hydraulic had good feel but they lack the agility of the modern steerings. I have owned E90 series for 6 years so I know what you mean.

While I like the older racks for feel, in todays BMWs I much prefer the power steering and it's quickness to rotate the car with all the weight.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #24
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Quote:
My take on the steering comment: The steering is fine - IF you've never driven an older BMW with a hydraulic rack. Go flog an E46 ZHP over a mountain pass, THEN tell me the M2c steering is "good". You won't. BMW has had 19+ years to get electric power steering right, and they're still working on it but have yet to equal a hydraulic setup.
Older hydraulic had good feel but they lack the agility of the modern steerings. I have owned E90 series for 6 years so I know what you mean.

While I like the older racks for feel, in todays BMWs I much prefer the power steering and it's quickness to rotate the car with all the weight.
The older rack in my 135i was considered to be the most involved back in the e generation... I hated it because it had too much feel and after hard driving on rough roads, your hands would literally hurt... there is such a thing as too much feel.
      08-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #25
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Quote:

The older rack in my 135i was considered to be the most involved back in the e generation... I hated it because it had too much feel and after hard driving on rough roads, your hands would literally hurt... there is such a thing as too much feel.
Yeah, it's all a trade-off between various parameters. If they give you more feel then, you loose something else, or vice versa. Unless you buy a McLaren or high end Porsches, or even a higher end M3/M5 CS etc., they will be able to meet most user expectations but not all.

Given the weight and power infused in todays cars, you are going to have to make some trade offs to be the jack of all trades.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 2
ASAP10054.00
Moflow2484.50
      08-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #26
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
One of the problems with the M2c steering IMHO is the 3 settings. Before I ordered mine last year, I was absorbing as many reviews as I could, and a recurring theme was people leaving the steering in comfort mode 100% of the time, because the other 2 modes just felt even more artificial than comfort. Didn't take me long to fully agree with that sentiment. Sucks that there's no way to default steering to comfort mode and leave it there.
ASAP10054.00
Moflow2484.50
      08-11-2022, 02:37 PM   #27
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
One of the problems with the M2c steering IMHO is the 3 settings. Before I ordered mine last year, I was absorbing as many reviews as I could, and a recurring theme was people leaving the steering in comfort mode 100% of the time, because the other 2 modes just felt even more artificial than comfort. Didn't take me long to fully agree with that sentiment. Sucks that there's no way to default steering to comfort mode and leave it there.
Correct, but I still think it was more than good enough... I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also, I don't think my review is negative... I think its just realistic... I think I was underwhelmed by this being an M car personally.
      08-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #28
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Funny you say this. I have had two E46 M3's, 330xi, 135i, 335i and a E92 M3. I simply got tired of feeling everything through the wheel. We have many rough roads in the northeast and when I hit even the smallest of road imperfections i would cringe. This became tiresome and frankly took some of the enjoyment out of driving. I'm sure on a track knowing when the tires were giving up would be valuable information, however as a street only "fun" car with was less fun for me.

The M2c was kind of a pleasure coming from my previous cars. The M2cs is an absolute hoot and is perfect in my opinion. Perhaps it's just the natural progression of the aging car guy?

Last edited by M3R1; 08-11-2022 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
ASAP10054.00
      08-11-2022, 03:54 PM   #29
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
My F80 and F97 were the same way. Anything other than Comfort was just heavy for heavy sake. BMW doesn't seem to put a lot of effort into this.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 04:37 PM   #30
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I much prefer sport and sports+, especially when pushing the car.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 2
Davil6333.50
nismosao192.00
      08-11-2022, 05:28 PM   #31
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Spot on
Appreciate 1
ASAP10054.00
      08-11-2022, 08:11 PM   #32
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
This is why I think the C has the steering feel it has and why the CS is so different. I think CS steering would annoy a lot of people. It tramlines every now and then and the feel on centre is never relaxing like the C. So I think they did it this way on the C (and also the G series cars) as more people prefer it this way. I much prefer the CS steering but I'm not everyone. Aside all that I had no problem with the steering in the C overall, it's quick, direct and you get a good feel with what the car is doing through your secondary cheeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 11:49 PM   #33
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Regarding the steering, your comment reminds me of the feeling of my E92 M3 competition steering. Even our E70 48i m sport had such a nice steering feel.

I haven't been able to feel the same in the F80 and now my F87. Even though they are both great cars and so much better in other ways, the same steering feeling is just not there.

I don't obsess about it and enjoy my M2 comp and its character, but I can relate to your comment.
Appreciate 0