BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Video Catchall - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...

07-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #23
aniltip
Rep
Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX

Canaan Motor Club (CCW) - aniltip - 2020 M2C

Just trying to get better so any tips / criticisms are more than welcome!

First track day at Canaan Motor Club last month. Ran a 1:07.62 going CCW on the stock MPSS with Vorshlag camber plates (-3 F / -2 R).

Certainly a lot of time left out there, but had a great first time on track! 1st lap was the warm up - 2nd was the time attack lap.

Did have some issues with the stock brakes when coming back on track after a session with the pedal going soft / dropping to the floor on the first couple of corners on the out lap, which definitely makes me second guess myself in some of the harder braking zones. Already flushed the brakes with a liter of Motul 660 and am running Carbotech XP10s. Going to bleed with 2 liters of SRF and hopefully see if I have more consistent feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 09:36 AM   #24
Wisco M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White M2

The M2 is currently unhappy with me, so I took the track car my brother and I have been building to Road America last week. It's a 1996 C4 Corvette with a bunch of fun aero, some home-built, some custom carbon. It's got a mild build LS3 and a tremec T-56 Magnum transmission. Add in some Penske coilovers, decent brakes, full heim joint suspension and you're left with a 500+ HP, 3000# "street" car. This was run on 275 wide Nankangs on 17"x11 wheels.

Not shown - boiling the brakes right before the kink on the next lap.

The last lap is the fastest in this video, with the last lap at a 2:27.14. I got stuck behind a radical for the first few corners and it caused the lap to be 3.5 seconds off pace to start vs. my other fastest lap of the day. If I combine all laps, the theoretical best was a 2:22.5. Not bad for a car with a home made plywood splitter and an old truck motor with 175,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Wisco M3; 07-12-2022 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 04:42 PM   #25
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Last weekend I visited Harris Hill Raceway thanks to a friend's invitation. Despite living in the area since before it's inception, I'd never turned a wheel [of any kind] on the track itself and was a bit surprised by it.

I went with 3 goals in mind
  • Get a feel for the track and learn the layout
  • Play with compression settings on my dampers
  • Get a feel for the car with DSC off

I ran 6 short sessions throughout the morning
  1. Get a feel for the track with base damper settings
  2. Pull compression out 4 clicks (10 R 14 C)
  3. Add in compression 4 clicks from base (10R 6C)
  4. Disable TC
  5. Disable TC
  6. Disable TC

This resulted in some learnings.
  • The track, in the words of a friend, is surprisingly ballsy. I wouldn't say the line is difficult to learn although there's still room for improvement here. But actually driving the line at a good pace is where that difficulty comes in as there are lots of bumps, camber changes, blind corners and it's not as slow of a track as I thought it would be. Some brake markers would be nice as well.
  • I generally liked the compression biased damper settings vs. the rebound-biased settings I'd run at COTA. It generally made the car feel very planted and responsive—I still have much to learn in this regard.
  • The car with TC off is pretty easy to drive. Quite neutral, and not snappy. I think training myself to drive without seeing the DSC light flashing has helped me as finding full-throttle wasn't particularly difficult.

PR set 1:26.02
I set my PR on the second to last lap of the last session. This was early afternoon and temps were high. Traction control was disabled and I'd grown pretty comfortable but was still giving myself a bit of a safety net.

Time to learn a lesson
Immediately following that PR, I sent it off, losing the rear coming out of T6 at about 100mph. This is likely due to a combination of factors: an early lift/not enough throttle, high lateral load, and some lovely bumps. I was told that this was likely salvageable if I'd had a faster and more intentional counter steer coupled with getting on the throttle. Let's hope this is put into my brain so that it may save me later. Thankfully no injuries, no damage, so all good.

Appreciate 1
OG Shark4656.00
      07-16-2022, 05:39 PM   #26
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Last weekend I visited Harris Hill Raceway thanks to a friend's invitation. Despite living in the area since before it's inception, I'd never turned a wheel [of any kind] on the track itself and was a bit surprised by it.

4. Disable TC
  5. Disable TC
  6. Disable TC

• The track, in the words of a friend, is surprisingly ballsy. I wouldn't say the line is difficult to learn although there's still room for improvement here. But actually driving the line at a good pace is where that difficulty comes in as there are lots of bumps, camber changes, blind corners and it's not as slow of a track as I thought it would be. Some brake markers would be nice as well.
  • I generally liked the compression biased damper settings vs. the rebound-biased settings I'd run at COTA. It generally made the car feel very planted and responsive—I still have much to learn in this regard.
  • The car with TC off is pretty easy to drive. Quite neutral, and not snappy. I think training myself to drive without seeing the DSC light flashing has helped me as finding full-throttle wasn't particularly difficult.

I set my PR on the second to last lap of the last session. This was early afternoon and temps were high. Traction control was disabled and I'd grown pretty comfortable but was still giving myself a bit of a safety net.

Time to learn a lesson
Immediately following that PR, I sent it off, losing the rear coming out of T6 at about 100mph. This is likely due to a combination of factors: an early lift/not enough throttle, high lateral load, and some lovely bumps. I was told that this was likely salvageable if I'd had a faster and more intentional counter steer coupled with getting on the throttle. Let's hope this is put into my brain so that it may save me later. Thankfully no injuries, no damage, so all good.

It was the bump that got you. Watching your tires on the g screen you can see the bump upset the tires. You smacked 1.3g's before the rear came around
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 05:59 PM   #27
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:

4. Disable TC
  5. Disable TC
  6. Disable TC

Time to learn a lesson

Harris Hill is a fun little track - just wish the bumps would stay away. Good time for you first visit out there - well done!

This track sits in some of the worst ground imaginable to build a race track and be able to keep the asphalt smooth. They repaved it a couple of years ago thankfully - but is is already having some issues like you saw. Before the repave it had gotten to the point where it was undriveable in my opinion. You were time limited by bumps - not the speed of the car. The repave made a big difference but unfortunately some bad bumps are already coming back. T6 like you found out is awful - definitely one I will not push hard through. Not as bad as it was before but already at the point where I am limiting speed through sections to control the speed.

Good run though!
Appreciate 1
M1500Z399.50
      07-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #28
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Harris Hill is a fun little track - just wish the bumps would stay away. Good time for you first visit out there - well done!

This track sits in some of the worst ground imaginable to build a race track and be able to keep the asphalt smooth. They repaved it a couple of years ago thankfully - but is is already having some issues like you saw. Before the repave it had gotten to the point where it was undriveable in my opinion. You were time limited by bumps - not the speed of the car. The repave made a big difference but unfortunately some bad bumps are already coming back. T6 like you found out is awful - definitely one I will not push hard through. Not as bad as it was before but already at the point where I am limiting speed through sections to control the speed.

Good run though!
Appreciate that. I probably could've adjusted my suspension to be a pinch more compliant, but who knows—a 780lb spring is pretty stiff. Hopefully it's not much of a confidence ding when I go back to the track, but I'm looking forward to getting back out. Somewhere years ago I heard about the 3 Cs:

First, you're cautious,
then you're confident,
lastly you crash.

After the 3rd, you start over.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 08:12 PM   #29
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Appreciate that. I probably could've adjusted my suspension to be a pinch more compliant, but who knows—a 780lb spring is pretty stiff. Hopefully it's not much of a confidence ding when I go back to the track, but I'm looking forward to getting back out. Somewhere years ago I heard about the 3 Cs:

First, you're cautious,
then you're confident,
lastly you crash.

After the 3rd, you start over.
If there ever was a track perfect for separate high speed adjustment this is it. Being able to make the car that much more compliant over the bumps without sacrificing the low speed is a big boon there. Even though I really do not push the M2 out there very hard it definitely helps. In my M3 which I will work pretty hard it makes a bid difference.

Just an off bud - albeit a bit of a high speed one - but no harm, no foul. Remember what you did/didn't do, change that for next time, and get at it again. Keep tearing it up out there you have good, smooth speed
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 08:36 PM   #30
butraymond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m2c

Watkins Glen, weekend best 2:13.88
Front tires are too tall, rubbing all over the place.

Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      08-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #31
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

This thread needs some fresh content. First up is me carrying way too much speed into a carousel turn at The Ridge Motorsport Park last Thursday. Not proud of my back to back overcorrections, but happy to have kept it on the asphalt and pointing mostly in the right direction. Garmin dust off the data as this was a partial lap, but I went in at least 10mph too fast.

And my redemption. Got my fastest lap in the last session of the day, which also happened to be the session after the above occurred. Pretty happy with a 2:00.77 here on 6 day old 245/265 r18 Hankook RS4 in 80* temps.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 05:28 PM   #32
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkxe9s...rLjiOdyDjb3HNX
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #33
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Finally got a chance to go through more of my videos from couple of weeks and post a few laps following a fast cayman.

Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      09-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #34
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasBurnlife(landapanda) View Post
Finally got a chance to go through more of my videos from couple of weeks and post a few laps following a fast cayman.

Very nice run, great driving!

P.S. Did you move? I thought you lived in Livonia.

I would like to share a new PB of my own from this past weekend.
1:26.6 at Grattan Raceway in MI.

2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 07:58 PM   #35
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasBurnlife(landapanda) View Post

Very nice run, great driving!

P.S. Did you move? I thought you lived in Livonia.

I would like to share a new PB of my own from this past weekend.
1:26.6 at Grattan Raceway in MI.

I am in Northern Virginia. Smack in-between VIR and The Glen
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      09-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #36
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Had the opportunity to get to Area 27 Motorsports Park in Oliver, BC this week for two days. What a fun track! Highly recommend if you get the opportunity. Here’s my quickest lap of the event. Pretty happy with the pace on a new, technical track.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 06:00 PM   #37
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

4. Disable TC
  5. Disable TC
  6. Disable TC

Time to learn a lesson

Glad you're ok and no damage to the car. The faster you go around the corner, the more lightning fast your reaction has to be. I also thing this was savable, but lesson learned for next time. Faster hands on the counter steer, and pause there until you feel the yaw subsiding.

I had a couple high speed salvages in the M2, took a lot of moments tho.

Appreciate 2
      09-19-2022, 04:53 PM   #38
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Pitt Race

Appreciate 3
tux2005234.00
5.M0NSTER3353.50
MooMooM21790.50
      09-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #39
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Don't you hate this? A "faster" car with a slower driver will refuse to let you by, or give you a point-by, and then floor it.

In the M2

In the Camaro

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 06:53 PM   #40
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Don't you hate this? A "faster" car with a slower driver will refuse to let you by, or give you a point-by, and then floor it.

In the M2

In the Camaro
To be fair, I wouldn't say in either video you were particularly in a position to pass until you did. At no point we're you really sitting on their bumper for any length of time.
      09-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #41
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
To be fair, I wouldn't say in either video you were particularly in a position to pass until you did. At no point we're you really sitting on their bumper for any length of time.
To be fair, this is NOT wheel-to-wheel racing, and the goal is to NOT trade paint. Or are you one of those guys who gives the point by and then floors it?

P.S. you did notice that the C8 gave me a point by 40s into the video, and then drag races me till the end of the straight, right?

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 09-27-2022 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:25 PM   #42
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
To be fair, this is NOT wheel-to-wheel racing, and the goal is to NOT trade paint. Or are you one of those guys who gives the point by and then floors it?

P.S. you did notice that the C8 gave me a point by 40s into the video, and then drag races me till the end of the straight, right?
Yup, that's frustrating! Once given they should concede, unless they thought you declined the point by? When points are required and you're dealing with high HP cars often the only options are bury you bumper in their ass on the corners to get their attention or pit and find a new space.

If open passing, as appeared on the Ring. Then I'd argue onus is on passing car to find and make the pass when safe. As the Senna did by passing you both. Maybe his rationale or thought process was "he only caught me because I hit traffic. Maybe he's happy to chase…"

Who knows?
      09-27-2022, 08:50 PM   #43
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:48 AM   #44
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
This was a bit scary! I was apparently at the limit of the tires when I began to accelerate. After I caught it, I got back on the gas too quickly and it stepped out again. Tires were takeoff Perellis and were to the cords at the end of this day.

Appreciate 3
DRLane3968.00
5.M0NSTER3353.50
MooMooM21790.50