BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW is finally adding Android Auto to its infotainment system

12-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
malakas2
M Stable
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, E36 M3

BMW is finally adding Android Auto to its infotainment system

"Many of our customers have pointed out the importance to them of having Android Auto inside a BMW for using a number of familiar Android smartphone features safely without being distracted from the road, in addition to BMW's own functions and services," said Peter Henrich, senior vice president for product management, BMW, in a statement.

From July 2020, that will finally be possible, as long as it's a model with the latest iDrive 7 system.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/12...inment-system/
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakas2 View Post
"Many of our customers have pointed out the importance to them of having Android Auto inside a BMW for using a number of familiar Android smartphone features safely without being distracted from the road, in addition to BMW's own functions and services," said Peter Henrich, senior vice president for product management, BMW, in a statement.

From July 2020, that will finally be possible, as long as it's a model with the latest iDrive 7 system.

Hmm this is good news indeed.

However, correct me if I'm wrong; M2C's have iDrive 6; (and excuse my ignorance) but can we upgrade to iDrive 7 to leverage AA?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post

However, correct me if I'm wrong; M2C's have iDrive 6; (and excuse my ignorance) but can we upgrade to iDrive 7 to leverage AA?

+1. also looking for an answer to this question. Have a 2018 M2 with idrive 6. Can we upgrade to idrive 7 and get AA?
Appreciate 1
Conissah1576.00
      12-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

It's about dang time!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakas2 View Post

Hmm this is good news indeed.

I doubt it since iDrive 7 works in tandem with the digital cluster.

BMWs without the digital cluster option are only allotted iDrive 6 or EntraNav2.

So once again, earlier iDrives are excluded.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

BMWs without the digital cluster option are only allotted iDrive 6 or EntraNav2.

The sad part is, this is almost certainly 100% software driven. There is probably zero physical limitation that disallows them to backport to at least idrive 6.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
Cannondale900
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, '10 535ixT, '91 M5

Garage List
2023 X5 45e  [0.00]
2015 LR4 HSE Lux + HD  [0.00]
1965 Shelby Cobra 4 ...  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:

The sad part is, this is almost certainly 100% software driven. There is probably zero physical limitation that disallows them to backport to at least idrive 6.
Quite possible one of the main third party BMW technology vendors will figure something out over time.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Gonna be so pissed if they don't give it to us iDrive 6 people who bought brand new 2019/2020 cars.
      12-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #9
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
Gonna be so pissed if they don't give it to us iDrive 7 people who bought brand new 2019/2020 cars.
FTFY, but I wouldn't hold my breath... Highly highly doubt they actually care about existing customers enough to implement it on the previous version of iDrive, or allow us to upgrade. It sounds like you'll need iDrive 7 + the digital dash to leverage it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #10
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
It's possible they will work on supporting older versions after they finish the rollout for the current one.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post
Quote:
It's possible they will work on supporting older versions after they finish the rollout for the current one.
Don't hold your breath, retrofitting new components into older models is not BMW's modus operandi.

Once your vehicle leaves the showroom and they collect their money, they're don't really care to make any changes unless it's mandated by a recall or warranty.

Why would they offer a retrofit anyways when they can use the new offering of AA as a tool to entice current owners into upgrading their vehicle.

I'm guessing since they projected to roll out Android Auto in 07/2021, it will coincide with the new model year, which would have a revised iDrive interface/harddrive to support AA.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #12
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Don't hold your breath, retrofitting new components into older models is not BMW's modus operandi.

Once your vehicle leaves the showroom and they collect their money, they're don't really care to make any changes unless it's mandated by a recall or warranty.

Why would they offer a retrofit anyways when they can use the new offering of AA as a tool to entice current owners into upgrading their vehicle.

I'm guessing since they projected to roll out Android Auto in 07/2021, it will coincide with the new model year, which would have a revised iDrive interface/harddrive to support AA.

Why are we assuming this is a hardware limitation?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #13
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post
Quote:

Why are we assuming this is a hardware limitation?

The press release states that it's only going to be available on iDrive 7, of which I mentioned earlier only works in conjunction with a digital cluster.

As illustrated below, the 2020 G20 330i has only iDrive 6 available, if you don't opt for the digital cluster.

Since the M2C doesn't use a digital cluster, it's won't be able to run iDrive 7, which by extension, would not compatible with the new AA interface.

Also, historically, every new model year BMW typically releases a new iDrive iteration, possibly called iDrive 8.

So whatever new hardware and software is released would designed around supporting Android Auto.

IDrive 7 is radically different from iDrive 6, it's a completely different interface with a lot more functionality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #14
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
The 9% in English speaking markets will rejoice. I guess it is different in some other markets which is probably what drove this.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
The press release states that it's only going to be available on iDrive 7, of which I mentioned earlier only works in conjunction with a digital cluster.

As illustrated below, the 2020 G20 330i has only iDrive 6 available, if you don't opt for the digital cluster.

Since the M2C doesn't use a digital cluster, it's won't be able to run iDrive 7, which by extension, would not compatible with the new AA interface.

Also, historically, every new model year BMW typically releases a new iDrive iteration, possibly called iDrive 8.

So whatever new hardware and software is released would designed around supporting Android Auto.

IDrive 7 is radically different from iDrive 6, it's a completely different interface with a lot more functionality.
That's a strange press release. Is that cluster iDrive 7? Looks more like an extended M2C cluster? The iDrive 7, I used looked like a video game.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:

That's a strange press release. Is that cluster iDrive 7? Looks more like an extended M2C cluster? The iDrive 7, I used looked like a video game.
It's iDrive 7, I was a M340i recently..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #17
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

an aspect of this understandably not understood by the general public is the complexity of the wireless connection I assume BMW wants to provide for AA to match CP.

If you'll note, the announcement states AA will be limited to a select set of Samsung and Google (Pixel) devices and the reason for this is the need to work with a consistent set of hardware in the phone, specifically the bluetooth module. In Android, the pure number of different bluetooth hardware is mind boggling and makes it super difficult from a development POV to not only write code that works for all of them, but also support them long term. This is a massive advantage for Apple since all iPhones work off of a very limited number of parts - Android is the total opposite.

This is why AA exists in many auto brands, but you'll note they are ALL a "wired" connection. removing the wireless piece of the work eliminates a big part of this - so I wonder if all Android users will be to use AA in a wired connection, but only those with the select list of Samsung and Pixel phones can do the wireless.

Seeing BMW announce this isn't surprising, but be prepared for this forum to be loaded up with "my Android device doesn't work" complaints.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9103.00
cptobvious2531.50