BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BM3 N55 M2

10-15-2023, 02:22 PM   #1
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M Sport Sold:2016 M2

BM3 N55 M2

Hey Everyone,

I am fairly new to the M2 world, purchased a 2016 with DCT back in May and only recently purchased the BM3 tune last week. I had a few questions I was hoping to get some input on.

First off, I have zero experience with this level tuning and only recently started to look into data logs and such. I did manage to get some logs today hoping that it will help in answering some questions. I am running OTS Stage 2 93 octane, and the only supporting mods for now is VSRF downpipe and charge pipe.

My first question is, can running 92 octane cause performance issues? I only ask because I honestly cannot remember if I put Shell 93 or Thorton's 92 that last time I fueled up. I know 93 octane is a must since that is the tune setting requirement. Idk if 1 octane less would cause performance issues.

Secondly, i had some general questions on some of the data points. Is 20.9 Boost Pre throttle correct, too much, or not enough? I don't quite have anything to compare it to, but at times it seems like the car is slightly being restricted or something. Maybe it's just in my head but I just want to be sure the tune is operating as expected and nothing is over working its self. I do not plan on going down the path of making it any faster as this is already more than plenty and I would like to keep it running as reliable as possible. Any feedback or help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hopefully logs are usable. I tried to follow the instructions online. Very new to the tuning world and will take any suggestions. Want to learn as much as possible. I pulled in 3rd gear at 2500rpm.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=652c...90c6dcc7949be3

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=652c...0b43b07e506ca0

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=652c...0b43b07e506ca1
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 02:47 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Have you upgraded the intercooler? What was the ambient temp for these logs?

Second log his timing corrections more in line with what I’d expect with the first and third logs showing surprisingly clean timing.

You want to run the best quality, highest octane fuel possible with these. Can 92 hurt it? Probably not, but why risk it.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      10-15-2023, 02:50 PM   #3
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Have you upgraded the intercooler? What was the ambient temp for these logs?

Second log his timing corrections more in line with what I’d expect with the first and third logs showing surprisingly clean timing.

You want to run the best quality, highest octane fuel possible with these. Can 92 hurt it? Probably not, but why risk it.
I have not upgraded the intercooler yet. That is next on the list. Current outside temps were below 60 degrees today, around 55+- I believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 03:06 PM   #4
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

That would have been my guess. If you want it to be as reliable as possible you’re overdue for an intercooler as it’s a key component supporting the BM3 S2 tune.

As IATs increase, you lose some knock resistance increasing the chances of knock events which can be harmful. Get a intercooler on it yesterday, and certainly before it warms up.

103* IATs under load with 55* ambient doesn’t bode well for spring. You’re playing with fire.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      10-15-2023, 03:22 PM   #5
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That would have been my guess. If you want it to be as reliable as possible you’re overdue for an intercooler as it’s a key component supporting the BM3 S2 tune.

As IATs increase, you lose some knock resistance increasing the chances of knock events which can be harmful. Get a intercooler on it yesterday, and certainly before it warms up.

103* IATs under load with 55* ambient doesn’t bode well for spring. You’re playing with fire.
I appreciate all the input and advice. An upgraded intercooler is on order as soon as possible. And as for the logs, as you stated they look good. Thanks for review. Was the 20.9 psig on boost pre throttle normal or is that too much?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 03:28 PM   #6
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep

The 20.9 psi boost was not on any of the logs I shared, forgot to mention. This was noticed when I glanced at the dashboard for a split second.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 04:11 PM   #7
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Spikes like that aren’t atypical under conditions like gear change etc where the throttle plate is closing. While you do see to smaller spikes in your logs above 16.6 target they don’t seem concerning but I’d defer to those more informed for additional peace of mind. May just be a little boost creep.

PTF/BM3 suppprt will weigh in if you email them a link to your logs with a specific question.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 04:45 PM   #8
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Spikes like that aren’t atypical under conditions like gear change etc where the throttle plate is closing. While you do see to smaller spikes in your logs above 16.6 target they don’t seem concerning but I’d defer to those more informed for additional peace of mind. May just be a little boost creep.

PTF/BM3 suppprt will weigh in if you email them a link to your logs with a specific question.
Thank you, I will reach out to them next. Also, I just ordered a vrsf intercooler as well. Thanks for all the input.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 10:19 PM   #9
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by romoguy15 View Post
Thank you, I will reach out to them next. Also, I just ordered a vrsf intercooler as well. Thanks for all the input.
Close "pre-throttle boost pressure".
Use "MAP" parameter to gauge boost pressure.

Pre-throttle pressure spikes are normal on M2, it's causing by diverter valve once you lift up the gas pedal.

Intercooler is must for stage 2 tune.

If 92 is the maximum octane you can find, back your tune to Stage 2 91oct is an option.
If 93 is available, use 93 only for 93oct map and do logs to double check. Octane matters.

Last edited by ericlr1225; 10-16-2023 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      10-17-2023, 03:05 PM   #10
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlr1225 View Post

Pre-throttle pressure spikes are normal on M2, it's causing by diverter valve once you lift up the gas pedal.

If 92 is the maximum octane you can find, back your tune to Stage 2 91oct is an option.
If 93 is available, use 93 only for 93oct map and do logs to double check. Octane matters.
Thanks! I'll use that data point in the dashboard instead. I do have 93 so going forward, I will only use that. Also, i did submit the logs to PTF and they said pretty much what you and others outlined. Logs also look good from their perspective and to get the intercooler as soon as possible. It's on order. Not driving it anymore till then. I feel good everything is as it should be. Appreciate the forum support.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2023, 05:04 AM   #11
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlr1225 View Post

This, and not all 93 is equal, I ran logs with Shell V Power 93 and the tuners at PTF said it wasn't good enough and to either run the 91 map or mix E in. So I went down to the 91 map and butt dyno didn't even notice. Also the PTF guys have been pretty good, you can send them your logs for quick review.
Appreciate 0