BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Spark Plugs & Ignition Coils

03-09-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
F87Kesh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Spark Plugs & Ignition Coils

Hello everyone,

I have recently gotten some pretty aggressive misfiring from my car. Extremely rough idling that continues through throttle acceleration. My research through forums leads me to believe it is spark plugs or ignition coils (or both). I have replaced my spark plugs fairly recently but have not done my coils. I thought it may be a tune issue but after flashing back to stock the problem still persists. I've always had my mechanic take care of it but he is booked up for a while and this is my daily driver.

I'm not sure what brands of plugs, coils and gap setup to go with. Through reading I've found BM3's recommendation of gap may not be the best way to go. Here are my listed mods:

Wagner Catless Downpipe
ER Charge Pipe
BMC Drop in Filter
CSF FMIC
BM3
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMG_0939.pdf (156.7 KB, 98 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #2
F87Kesh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Forgot to mention:

I am running BM3 OTS Stage 2 91 ACN
My mechanic mentioned he put 1 step colder as I was planning to track the car. Not sure what gap he used previously.

Misfire codes attached above.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 08:57 AM   #3
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

seems like multiple cylinders are misfiring, so less likely it is a bad coil. perhaps bad gas?

but if it is a bad coil, switch the good ones with the bad ones and see if the misfire moves with the bad coil
      03-10-2023, 09:30 AM   #4
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

OEM plugs and OEM coils - you can do the S55 coils, they work, but only certain vendors have them.

You can also do the Dinan ones - cheaper than OEM…
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #5
Renato Gambine
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
OEM plugs and OEM coils - you can do the S55 coils, they work, but only certain vendors have them.

You can also do the Dinan ones - cheaper than OEM…

Hey guys, talking about Brazil here!
Yesterday I had problems with my Precision Raceworks coils, the car ran normally... I stopped to change the spark plugs as soon as we finished the service, I went out for a spin with the car, unfortunately the M2 when it was going up to 5 thousand RPM or 6 thousand RPM it failed, I was disbelieved... I thought I was unlucky that the spark plugs were bad, it could happen.
To my surprise, it was the coils, as I returned the old spark plugs that still worked... and the car didn't return to normal.
I removed the coils and put in the OEM ones I have in storage and magically the car returned to normal. I don't understand, I put the precision raceworks in and it gives me a problem. Can someone help me!!???
My friend had the same problem.

Fala galera, falando do Brasil aqui!
Ontem tive problemas com as minhas bobinas da precision raceworks, carro funcionado normal... parei para efetuar a troca das velas assim que terminamos o serviço, saí para dar uma volta com o carro, infelizmente a M2 quando subia giro 5 mil RPM ou 6 mil RPM ela falhava, fiquei desacreditado... Achei que tive o azar das velas estarem ruim, pode acontecer.
Para minha surpresa eram as bobinas, pois retornei as velas antigas que funcionavam ainda... e o carro não voltou ao normal.
Tirei as bobinas e coloquei as OEM que tenho guardadas e magicamente o carro voltou ao normal. Estou sem entender, coloco as precision raceworks dá problema. Alguém pode me ajudar!!???
Meu amigo teve o mesmo problema.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:48 AM   #6
AFatMiata
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato Gambine View Post
Hey guys, talking about Brazil here!
Yesterday I had problems with my Precision Raceworks coils, the car ran normally... I stopped to change the spark plugs as soon as we finished the service, I went out for a spin with the car, unfortunately the M2 when it was going up to 5 thousand RPM or 6 thousand RPM it failed, I was disbelieved... I thought I was unlucky that the spark plugs were bad, it could happen.
To my surprise, it was the coils, as I returned the old spark plugs that still worked... and the car didn't return to normal.
I removed the coils and put in the OEM ones I have in storage and magically the car returned to normal. I don't understand, I put the precision raceworks in and it gives me a problem. Can someone help me!!???
My friend had the same problem.

Fala galera, falando do Brasil aqui!
Ontem tive problemas com as minhas bobinas da precision raceworks, carro funcionado normal... parei para efetuar a troca das velas assim que terminamos o serviço, saí para dar uma volta com o carro, infelizmente a M2 quando subia giro 5 mil RPM ou 6 mil RPM ela falhava, fiquei desacreditado... Achei que tive o azar das velas estarem ruim, pode acontecer.
Para minha surpresa eram as bobinas, pois retornei as velas antigas que funcionavam ainda... e o carro não voltou ao normal.
Tirei as bobinas e coloquei as OEM que tenho guardadas e magicamente o carro voltou ao normal. Estou sem entender, coloco as precision raceworks dá problema. Alguém pode me ajudar!!???
Meu amigo teve o mesmo problema.
Is your friend also using precision raceworks coils? Both running the same tune? If nothing else is shared then seems like you may have found the root cause. You running stock plug gap?
Appreciate 0