BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > How firm is it around town?

03-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

How firm is it around town?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So was told by the dealer today the M2 doesn't have adaptive suspension, and therefore is pretty damn firm permanently.

I have an m235i, just over 6 months old so too soon to offload....but soon maybe.

However I commute in it and the inner city roads are shocking, I have the 235 set to Sport transmission but not suspension. Sport suspension is too jarring with the crappy roads.

Feedback from you lucky new owners would be great. Thanks.
      03-27-2016, 03:16 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer View Post
So was told by the dealer today the M2 doesn't have adaptive suspension, and therefore is pretty damn firm permanently.

I have an m235i, just over 6 months old so too soon to offload....but soon maybe.

However I commute in it and the inner city roads are shocking, I have the 235 set to Sport transmission but not suspension. Sport suspension is too jarring with the crappy roads.

Feedback from you lucky new owners would be great. Thanks.

There is a good review by one of the editors of Bimmerpost where the guy drove the car both on California roads and Laguna Seca. Based on that and what I have read in Car and Driver it seems the ride is quite firm but not overly so. I suspect that if you live in an area with crappy roads it could be an issue, otherwise it doesn't sound like much of an issue for folks that are used to a sport suspension.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

If you think the sport suspension setting is too jarring on the M235i, I can't imagine the M2 will be softer. The M235i suspension is excellent for the intent of the car, but even in sport it's pretty soft overall in comparison to M cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback.

Horses for courses, I have owned race cars that would rattle your teeth out if you were to drive them on public roads. But I need to get to work and back with teeth intact
      03-30-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just saw one ready for delivery, in blue, at my local dealer. Looks hot! So much better in the flesh than in pics.

I officially don't care how it rides around town, I am sold and want one!
      03-31-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 BSM MT

There is a Chinese review posted in this forum where the car is driven on a track and on public roads and the reviewer discusses the ride quality. He compares it to the 235 and says that the m2 does not feel as harsh. Still firm but not so jarring.
Appreciate 0