BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > F87 M2 Track suspension setup - springs and sway bars or coilovers?

03-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
Straight6Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

F87 M2 Track suspension setup - springs and sway bars or coilovers?

Hi guys,

Just would like to hear your thoughts on suspension setup for track (circuit racing, autocross etc). It's my daily driver which I use for track 6 to 8 times a year. I have got the brakes (AP racing 6 pot) and tires (Hankook TD) sorted.

Suspension wise, it only has the GC camber tops at the moment. Considering the stock M2 suspension is quite stiff to begin with, would you get coilovers for maximum track performance or would lowering springs suffice?

What about sway bars? Are they necessary upgrades for the M2?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Lots of directions to go and everyone will have a different opinion.

From my track time in the car, I’d say softer is better so you can still attack the curbs without upsetting the car. Plus, it’s a DD for you. If you throw stiff springs and bars on it, you’re not going to be happy with it on the street.

The only thing I did was add the Dinan HAS kit, lower 3/4” in the rear & 1/2” front for better weight transfer, and track alignment. Roll, dive, and squat were all reduced significantly. Ride on the street is better over small bumps, a little harsher on big bumps.

Could the car use more bar on certain tracks? Sure. Could it use different springs & dampening for certain corners. Yeah. But, I don’t have to spend any time playing with that stuff, and can focus solely on my driving, which will pick up a lot more time than springs and bars.

I save suspension feedback & tuning for when I’m in a race car.
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
Straight6Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Thanks for the feedback ZM2. The Dinan HAS kit does make sense, more so than a simple lowering springs kit. Some say springs alone makes the handling worse. Others say do not touch the sway bars. I'm leaning towards a proper coilovers kit or nothing at all. Still at the researching stage at the moment.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-22-2019, 05:09 AM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Lots of directions to go and everyone will have a different opinion.

From my track time in the car, I’d say softer is better so you can still attack the curbs without upsetting the car. Plus, it’s a DD for you. If you throw stiff springs and bars on it, you’re not going to be happy with it on the street.

.....and track alignment. …..and can focus solely on my driving, which will pick up a lot more time than springs and bars.
ZM2 - wise words, great advice.

Wrt track alignment - what alignment settings do you use ?

TIA, BP
ZM22785.00
      03-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Here’s what I run. Note: it’s in degrees, not degrees & minutes.

Alignment Specs (deg)
Track: Front: -3.1, 0.04 total toe in, Rear: -2.0, 0.29 total toe in
Street: Front: -1.8, 0.10 total toe in, Rear: -1.8, 0.29 total toe in
OEM: Front: -1.5, 0.16 total toe in, Rear: -1.8, 0.27 total toe in
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I have KW V3's and Dinan Sway bars. I'll say that the KWs on their default setting feels just a little softer on the street than factory, enough so that I'm stiffening it by 2 clicks all around once I get a chance.

I don't really think the Dinan rear bar is worthwhile, as according to Dinan's site, it only stiffens the rear from 0-13%. So at it's softest setting, you would be the same as stock. And I'm under the impression that a softer rear sway setting is better for track because it will let you accelerate out of corners quicker. The rear bar is also a little bit of an intensive process to install. I have a couple threads about this stuff over in the suspension section here.

The front bar I definitely think is worth it though and I could tell the difference even on the street.

I definitely do like the coilovers because they let me adjust rebound and compression. But you'd be okay with lowering springs too. It's really about how much money you want to sink into it and how far you want to go. Coilovers definitely are the better option all around, but do you need them or would have just as much fun with lowering springs? I doubt coilovers are gonna make you much faster around a track compared to lowering springs, but you do get additional "fun" in being able to tailor the suspension specifically to what you like and play around with it. If you like fiddling with things, there is value in that, because there is more time to fiddle when you have more things you can fiddle with. But if you like racing and tracking more than fiddling with settings to get things just how you like them, lowering springs are the way to go cause you'll spend more time on the track with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6Driver View Post
Thanks for the feedback ZM2. The Dinan HAS kit does make sense, more so than a simple lowering springs kit. Some say springs alone makes the handling worse. Others say do not touch the sway bars. I'm leaning towards a proper coilovers kit or nothing at all. Still at the researching stage at the moment.
It depends on the springs, some will make the handling worse - but it looks better. Some put too stiff of spring on as well. In turn, this makes the car bounce too much keeping the weight of the car / tires off the road when instead they should be on the road more.

Not even sure why Dinan sells a rear sway bar for the M2. Complete waste - of too much money to begin with! Their suspension components for the M2 are very good though. Get them now before there is another 20% price increase. I am going to put on a Dinan front bar after I feel out my newly installed MPS a bit.

Coilovers will certainly give the most all-around control for DD and track use.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL136.50
      03-31-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Straight6,

If your doing 6-8 track days per year and some Auto X as well....I'd make sure I got a complete "package"
I've setup several cars in my 30 years of performance driving and I can't stress enough that a well sorted kit/pkg, or seat time in others cars will do to get it right the 1st time.

At the drivers schools hop rides with some of the instructors with M2's,3's or 4's. Ask them about spring rates, camber settings, sways, and what type of C/O's they have.

There are a some really good options out there

Bilstein B16 PSST 10 C/O's with springs of your choice $2000

or their Double Adj Sport kit at $4000

Ohlins Road & Track DFV C/O's with your choice of spring rates-$3100

TX Kline's Double Adjustable Koni C/O set with your choice of springs. $3100

AST's 5100, or 5200's with springs of your choice. $4,000+

JRZ RS Pro's $4000 Plus.

I've used all of these on various cars except the Bilstein setups..

When I had my E36M3/4 I ran TC's D/A kit loved it for Cone carving (fastest BMW In NE for 7+ years. Ran 500-65- lb spgs.

But the kit I think is the best value and needs less rebuilds is the Ohlins kit. The shock have one adj instead of 2 but it adj's both rebound & Compression. The ride on stiffer shocks is quite good. They can handle the heat from track sessions, and work great on all but the worst road conditions.

Last, is getting your camber setup for track work. Get a good internal pyrometer, and start at Neg 3.0 front and Neg 2 rear. Then adjust between events from the readings.

On my E36 I ran 3.4F and 2.2 rear and it was even temps across the tires..

M cars love front neg camber!.

HTH,
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 3
M2GT120.00
CrashFL136.50
      04-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
CryptoM2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Here’s what I run. Note: it’s in degrees, not degrees & minutes.

Alignment Specs (deg)
Track: Front: -3.1, 0.04 total toe in, Rear: -2.0, 0.29 total toe in
Street: Front: -1.8, 0.10 total toe in, Rear: -1.8, 0.29 total toe in
OEM: Front: -1.5, 0.16 total toe in, Rear: -1.8, 0.27 total toe in
What camber plates are you running with your dinan HAS?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoM2 View Post
What camber plates are you running with your dinan HAS?
Vorshlag. No noise or issues so far.
Appreciate 0