BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Spring / Shock Dyno's

05-31-2019, 04:38 AM   #45
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thanks for sharing all of this Jetbill.....can you translate any of this data to actual lap times at Sebring to see the real world effect of these different options.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #46
FTP20
Private
Rep
Drives: Four door ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbill View Post
I ran the front PSS10 front between 3 to 7, staying closer to 3-5. The dampers don't jack down much in the range up to 10 in/sec which is good but I don't have data at higher speeds and the rebound profile hasn't blown off yet by 10 in/sec so I think on bigger bumps you'll get more jacking down on the front.

On the rear, I ran from 1 to 3. If I ran the front at 3, I set the rear at 1. If I ran 4 on the front, I'd run the rear at 2. The settings aren't symmetric front and rear. Proper ride height is essential as the bump stops for the PSS10's are very long, the fronts are internal you can see them but the rears you can if you cut the tie wrap and pull the blue boot up. You want min of 1/2" clearance from shock body to bump stop.
Thanks for creating this thread and providing so much data! With the PSS10 do you know the lowest front ride height possible while still allowing for a bit of compression travel before touching the internal bumpstops?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 03:15 AM   #47
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 comp

Wish I understood this a bit more. How would you compare the dyno graphs of the Ohlins and M Performance? Reason I ask is I have both, and am trying to hone my suspension for good road and also that tight responsive feel. My Ohlins R&T were so good when on it, just very firm on the road. Currently have M Performance on the car, and they are alot more compliant but the spring rates are alot softer too, they don't give me the same chassis control and push to the limit as the Ohlins did.

So I am a bit confused on wha to do haha. Fit Ohlins with 140 rear spring, or look for a different kit like AST5100 or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 07:46 AM   #48
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

You get what you pay for. You want better control? MCS, Nitron, Ohlins, etc
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 06:57 PM   #49
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk12 View Post
Wish I understood this a bit more. How would you compare the dyno graphs of the Ohlins and M Performance? Reason I ask is I have both, and am trying to hone my suspension for good road and also that tight responsive feel. My Ohlins R&T were so good when on it, just very firm on the road. Currently have M Performance on the car, and they are alot more compliant but the spring rates are alot softer too, they don't give me the same chassis control and push to the limit as the Ohlins did.

So I am a bit confused on wha to do haha. Fit Ohlins with 140 rear spring, or look for a different kit like AST5100 or something.
You can see the highly digressive nature of the Ohlins dampers generating much more force at low shaft velocities to give you more control and lower force at high shaft velocities to give you more compliance when hitting bumps or running over berms at the track.
Appreciate 1
jayk1221.50
      09-17-2023, 03:12 AM   #50
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
You can see the highly digressive nature of the Ohlins dampers generating much more force at low shaft velocities to give you more control and lower force at high shaft velocities to give you more compliance when hitting bumps or running over berms at the track.
Thanks again Harold, appreciate your time as always.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2023, 02:00 PM   #51
gokusan
Rep
Drives: lots of bmws

I have MPS on my OG. What R/C setup do i need to have to be similar/close as much as possible to original set up. My car is on 19" and stock was 622mm F&R high from botom of the rim to arch and now is the same.
Appreciate 0