BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B16 PSS 10

09-27-2022, 07:49 AM   #111
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Front and rears almost maxed out lol still rides good in the canyons. What's the consequences of maxing it out as per recommended ride height? Not good for a long run?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 08:26 PM   #112
Toroinu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c, BMW 528i, Audi RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Thanks mate! While I haven't measured the fender gap prior to installing the B16s, I can say it must have been about double.

I do have some minuscule rubbing up front when turning the wheels sharply while maneuvering to park, but none while normal driving. No rubbing in the back as I'm only running 5mm spacers (10mm spacers up front).
I’m considering a kit. Heard great things about the b16 in terms of comfort.

As far as ride height goes, can it go lower than your current settings? I heard the b16 can’t go low. Now I’m not looking for slammed/tuck but just fender to tire fitment. Half a finger gap to no gap type of fitment.

I know the mperformance suspension at max rear still has a finger gap which is why I opted away from them
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 12:39 AM   #113
Gusman1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroinu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Thanks mate! While I haven't measured the fender gap prior to installing the B16s, I can say it must have been about double.

I do have some minuscule rubbing up front when turning the wheels sharply while maneuvering to park, but none while normal driving. No rubbing in the back as I'm only running 5mm spacers (10mm spacers up front).
I’m considering a kit. Heard great things about the b16 in terms of comfort.

As far as ride height goes, can it go lower than your current settings? I heard the b16 can’t go low. Now I’m not looking for slammed/tuck but just fender to tire fitment. Half a finger gap to no gap type of fitment.

I know the mperformance suspension at max rear still has a finger gap which is why I opted away from them
They go pretty low but ride will suffer. This is almost maxed out front and rear on 18s (265/35 & 295/30).

2nd pic I raised it about 10mm front and 20mm rear but on 255/40 & 275/40. Rides perfect now.
Attached Images

10-29-2022, 05:56 AM   #114
Kattanah
Petrol Head
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Current: F87 M2C, Jeep Wrangle

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I just installed the Litchfield B16 on my M2C, and I absolutely love the setup

I only lowered the car about 1cm all around, installed new set of PS4S, and adjusted the alignment as per Litchfield recommend setup.

The car feels much more refined. The suspension now feel premium and sophisticated. I absolutely recommend it for a daily driver.

The only set back I had when installing it was the clicking sound the front wheels made when turning at full lock. Litchfield then provided me with insulation tubes for the front springs, and that fixed it permanently.

Here are some pics of before and after, the alignment setup and the front springs.
Attached Images

"not too little, not too much"
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 09:38 PM   #115
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Is the insulation tubing all that's needed to cure the clicking? My f82 on Bilstein b16d did the same and my current f87cs already came with kw has that also has the clicking but more prominent than compared to the m4.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 11:38 PM   #116
Kattanah
Petrol Head
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
Is the insulation tubing all that's needed to cure the clicking? My f82 on Bilstein b16d did the same and my current f87cs already came with kw has that also has the clicking but more prominent than compared to the m4.
Yes it totally solved it.

I also applied some white lithium grease all around.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 08:44 AM   #117
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Anyone have experience with both B16's and KW v3's? What's the best option
      11-10-2022, 04:13 AM   #118
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Really cannot go wrong with either. I ran V3s on my 1M and B16s on current M2, love both. On the V3s the twin tube design was nice for the less than ideal roads around here but I really feel I didn't need all the adjustments. I went with B16s this time around as they are an awesome setup, with simple adjustments. I just felt the V3s got more expensive and left them at an odd price point now closely priced to the Ohlins (which I think are better all around) and a fair amount more than B16s.

Also the vendor where you buy coils from is just as important as the coils itself as I've seen issues with both Bilstein and KW in the warranty department and they often go through vendors.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #119
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Depends on what you are doing with the car. Bilstein is a great value for a monotone coilover system. it's a great for street duty and even a light day at the track.

KW V3 adds independently adjustable compression damping, but you will likely gain much in damping or quality. However, you will have around $700 more. At that price you are better off with Ohlins R&T. Ohlins is running a rare November sale right now. PM for details.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      11-11-2022, 03:59 AM   #120
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Where's the best place to get the complete kit in the US?

I don't want the car to become lower, well myb just a little if ever. Is that possible?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 05:10 AM   #121
Kattanah
Petrol Head
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Where's the best place to get the complete kit in the US?

I don't want the car to become lower, well myb just a little if ever. Is that possible?
I got my B16 from the UK, Litchfield version. Very minor drop (around 10mm all around).

The best offers I have found on the standard B16 are in the UK (https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/prod...cef7&_ss=r). Shipping cost isn't bad.

Here are some pictures of my setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #122
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

I can get the set locally for about 2600$ installed. This is probably not one of those things we would install ourselves right? Is there anything else I should be getting on top of the PSS10 “set”?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 07:40 PM   #123
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I can get the set locally for about 2600$ installed. This is probably not one of those things we would install ourselves right? Is there anything else I should be getting on top of the PSS10 “set”?
If that is in USD, jump on it now!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 09:25 AM   #124
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattanah View Post
I got my B16 from the UK, Litchfield version. Very minor drop (around 10mm all around).

The best offers I have found on the standard B16 are in the UK (https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/prod...bdc3cef7&_ss=r). Shipping cost isn't bad.

Hey there. Just wondering if you (or anyone else) have heard any direct driving feedback on the difference b/n Litchfield's version of the B16 kit and Bilstein's B16 spec for the M2? I know Litchfield's spring rate and valving is different, but how does that change street and track driving?

The site you referenced (MLP) won't have the regular B16 kit in stock until late Jan, but it's quite a bit cheaper than Litchfield's kit which is in stock. Trying to decide if the extra Litchfield cost is worth it, or should wait til Jan for the cheaper set.

Also seems like if Litchfield's specs and pricing is the same for their Bilstein & Nitron kits, I would go Nitron for the added ride height and dampening adjustability.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:00 AM   #125
Kattanah
Petrol Head
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattanah View Post

The best offers I have found on the standard B16 are in the UK (https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/prod...cef7&_ss=r). Shipping cost isn't bad.

Hey there. Just wondering if you (or anyone else) have heard any direct driving feedback on the difference b/n Litchfield's version of the B16 kit and Bilstein's B16 spec for the M2? I know Litchfield's spring rate and valving is different, but how does that change street and track driving?

The site you referenced (MLP) won't have the regular B16 kit in stock until late Jan, but it's quite a bit cheaper than Litchfield's kit which is in stock. Trying to decide if the extra Litchfield cost is worth it, or should wait til Jan for the cheaper set.

Also seems like if Litchfield's specs and pricing is the same for their Bilstein & Nitron kits, I would go Nitron for the added ride height and dampening adjustability.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Hey there,
Unfortunately I can't help you with that. I went with Chris Harris's recommendation

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 02:33 PM   #126
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Can anyone confirm if the PSS10 B16's work with the F30/OG M2 style Vorshlag camber plates?

Vorshlag tells me the Bilstein's should have an M12-1.5 thread pitch and should work, but just trying to confirm.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 08:14 PM   #127
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

How impt to have this car aligned after the install ?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 12:23 AM   #128
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

Quote:
How impt to have this car aligned after the install ?
Depending on how much it's lowered, anywhere from good idea to very important. Modern cars (most, not all play by these rules) change toe at different rates depending on the suspension design, however they generally go the same direction. When it in bump/compression the front axle usually toes out (negative toe) and the rear toes in (positive toe). With how critical the alignment is on a performance car like an M2/3/4 it's important to make sure it's correct, especially after changing ride height.

Another thing to consider that is very, very commonly missed. When you change the ride height by a significant amount it's also very important to re-clock all the rubber torsion/twist bushings. If this is not done, the bushings will wear prematurely and have odd behavior due to stored energy and binding.

Last but not least, new springs have tendency to settle/sag anywhere from 10-15mm after they are installed and driven. In fact, Audi specifically says not to align any new vehicles until 1,200 miles at a minimum to ensure the vehicles have settled entirely. Most manufacturer's factory alignment would be out of spec on an alignment rack right off the assembly room floor but would be in-spec after a few hundred miles due to intentional shifts built into the factory alignment.

Short story, whether it's lowering springs or adjustable coilovers, build an alignment into the cost of doing it, it'll save you $$$ in the long run and help make the car feel the way it's supposed to.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 11:21 PM   #129
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Yooras View Post

Another thing to consider that is very, very commonly missed. When you change the ride height by a significant amount it's also very important to re-clock all the rubber torsion/twist bushings. If this is not done, the bushings will wear prematurely and have odd behavior due to stored energy
May I know how this is re-clock? Which bushing? I don’t think the installer did this.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 11:28 PM   #130
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Finally took the leap and had B16 installed. –12mm on all four. Set at 4F and 2R from the shop. Not sure why but I’ll be trying out diff settings when I get a chance anyways.

Last edited by vrooooom; 12-27-2022 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
Kattanah137.50
      12-23-2022, 08:55 AM   #131
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Finally took the leap and had B16 installed. –12mm on all four. Set at 4F and 2R from the shop. Not sure why but I’ll be trying out diff settings when I get a chance anyways.
Awesome, let us know how it goes!

Sounds like all the ride height issues people have been mentioning wasn't a prob?

Last edited by ZM2; 12-23-2022 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 11:22 AM   #132
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

I wouldn’t be too quick to say that. My –12 drop is out of range so likely there’s a trade off. Whether it appears or not and when, I can’t say that just bec you’d see many here doing “as low as it’s going to go”, or as close to stocks as possible. I’m sticking my head out without assurance.

For me so far it’s not night and day. I have very limited seat time though and it’s been city driving only so far.

Last edited by vrooooom; 12-23-2022 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0