BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Replace each further injector

04-15-2022, 07:46 AM   #1
sonicgrounds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Replace each further injector

Curious about your sense of paranoia. Bought a used 2020 stock m2c with 10400 miles, from a guy who had it for a year, and put 1k, but very little info on the first driver. The car was and is in pristine condition. Practically a brand new car. I've had three m cars before. I had to give it the full beans to see if everything's working alright. I've driven the same engine in the m4. After a bit of spirited driving, and the car is a peach, I get the CEL. The dealer replaces the attached items. Based on this write up, what's your guess about the first driver? Or any at all?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Sounds like you just had 2 bad injectors.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 08:43 AM   #3
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Sounds to me like maybe the 1st driver didn't really beat on his car, but you did, demanding more out of 2 faulty injectors.
      04-21-2022, 09:02 PM   #4
sonicgrounds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Sounds like you just had 2 bad injectors.
I guess I'm wondering if it's normal to have this happen so soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 09:09 PM   #5
sonicgrounds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Sounds to me like maybe the 1st driver didn't really beat on his car, but you did, demanding more out of 2 faulty injectors.
Two faulty injectors had to come from somewhere is my point. Isn't the car too new for that? Unless the first owner beat on it.

I wouldn't say I "beat on the car" at all, but I definitely push my M cars the way they are designed to do. They are not designed to be kept in the garage and driven at poster speeds. I drive to enjoy the driving dynamics of the car and how it makes me feel driving fast. Isn't that why we get these cars?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 11:24 PM   #6
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

If it makes u feel better had a coil pack storing a soft misfire code with less than 5,000kms. Was picked up during service visit and replaced.
      04-22-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
scarygary
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicgrounds View Post
Two faulty injectors had to come from somewhere is my point. Isn't the car too new for that? Unless the first owner beat on it.

I wouldn't say I "beat on the car" at all, but I definitely push my M cars the way they are designed to do. They are not designed to be kept in the garage and driven at poster speeds. I drive to enjoy the driving dynamics of the car and how it makes me feel driving fast. Isn't that why we get these cars?
I'd ignore it, just a little quip haha.

But I side with it being defective and not being caught by original owner, possibly. I am up to 47k and have not had an injector issue, and I do not baby it all the time.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2022, 04:03 PM   #8
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Errr... let me rephrase. Original owner drove like a grandma, you didn't, thus exposing injectors. Despite your view on how they should be driven, many M cars are driven mostly in pedestrian manners.

New injectors shouldn't fail, but conditions caused them to as a result of them slipping through QA/QC. It happens more often than you might expect. A part doesn't have to fail at the factory. Sometimes minor issues in manufacturing, while undetectable, can induce failure well below the parts' expected operating tolerance, but potentially not before that. Even more so when we are talking about electronically actuated parts. When you drove the car hard, it probably just exposed the fact that those 2 parts had underlying issues. I wouldn't sweat it, or take what I said so personally.

In fact it's amazing things don't fail more often. Goes to show that BMW has become more reliable. My diff servo motor failed at 3500km. It happens.

Last edited by stefan; 04-22-2022 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #9
atomsapple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 X3M40i, 765RS

Garage List
I have a 2020 with less than 5,000mi and also hit CEL. Dealer blamed injectors but wouldn't do anything since they cleared it and can't reproduce. They seemed less than surprised.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
sonicgrounds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Errr... let me rephrase. Original owner drove like a grandma, you didn't, thus exposing injectors. Despite your view on how they should be driven, many M cars are driven mostly in pedestrian manners.

New injectors shouldn't fail, but conditions caused them to as a result of them slipping through QA/QC. It happens more often than you might expect. A part doesn't have to fail at the factory. Sometimes minor issues in manufacturing, while undetectable, can induce failure well below the parts' expected operating tolerance, but potentially not before that. Even more so when we are talking about electronically actuated parts. When you drove the car hard, it probably just exposed the fact that those 2 parts had underlying issues. I wouldn't sweat it, or take what I said so personally.

In fact it's amazing things don't fail more often. Goes to show that BMW has become more reliable. My diff servo motor failed at 3500km. It happens.
That's a sound explanation. I'd buy it. Makes me feel better about the car. Even otherwise, the car is a blast. Need more sound though. Akra at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 11:22 AM   #11
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's a sound explanation. I'd buy it. Makes me feel better about the car. Even otherwise, the car is a blast. Need more sound though. Akra at some point.
Heck ya buddy drive the snot out of it!
      05-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #12
methkingM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

I've seen this happen from a bad fuel pump (shit gas). No need to panic. If it hasn't been tuned I wouldn't suspect some type of e85 or race gas fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:41 PM   #13
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methkingM2C View Post
I've seen this happen from a bad fuel pump (shit gas). No need to panic. If it hasn't been tuned I wouldn't suspect some type of e85 or race gas fun.
Good idea actually. I wouldn't be surprised if a lifetime of ethanol-enriched 91 did this too. Dunno about you guys but in my area many gas stations claim to have 91 octane but its really like 85-87 with 10%+ ethanol blended in to get to 91. I always avoid these.
      05-13-2022, 07:01 AM   #14
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by methkingM2C View Post
Good idea actually. I wouldn't be surprised if a lifetime of ethanol-enriched 91 did this too. Dunno about you guys but in my area many gas stations claim to have 91 octane but its really like 85-87 with 10%+ ethanol blended in to get to 91. I always avoid these.
Issue isn't the first driver — it's the second. Leaving the car to sit with crappy ethanol fuel stagnant in the tank wrecks havoc on the fuel system.
Appreciate 1
stefan2354.00