BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Pad Change Procedure Queries

08-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Brake Pad Change Procedure Queries

Hi guys,

I'll be changing the stock pads to RS29s soon next week, just wondering if anyone has a list of tools and/or a procedure for changing pads? I've not changed pads myself before and have only read up tutorials and videos for doing this, just wondering if anyone has any pointers specific to the M2. I heard depressing the pistons may need to be done a particular way not to stuff up the ABS, is this true?

Cheers and thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
Zabi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3

Garage List
Check the sticky on the M3/M4 forum https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1116901
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 12:13 AM   #3
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Wow, that was super useful. Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by codylikerice View Post
Hi guys,

I'll be changing the stock pads to RS29s soon next week, just wondering if anyone has a list of tools and/or a procedure for changing pads? I've not changed pads myself before and have only read up tutorials and videos for doing this, just wondering if anyone has any pointers specific to the M2. I heard depressing the pistons may need to be done a particular way not to stuff up the ABS, is this true?

Cheers and thanks
Small ball peen hammer (any hammer will do), thin punch to knock out the 2 pins on each caliper, loosen cap on brake fluid tank, push pistons and pads all the way back with your fingers, (I have the tool for this but is not needed), pull out pads and mark location of pads for return install. Install track pads, re-insert pins. Most importantly, pump brakes, and top of brake fluid level!!!!
Appreciate 0