BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2017 BMW M2 Performance Edition Official Details. Limited to 150 units.

02-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #221
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
This is just a waste of everyone's time, why does this exist.
It's one of two things: a cash grab, or it's the M2 model that was designed for someone who just wants a fully accessorized M2 from the factory.

I guess this is the Honda Civic "Si" version of the M2 with the "Type R" in development.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #222
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Quote:
I love all this 'just wait for the CS' talk.

If you already aren't aware you're getting a CS, you're not getting a CS.
maybe. but you are just guessing as much as anyone else at this point.

Nothing is set in stone yet
Sure buddy
Appreciate 4
gmzanatta1823.00
M2 CSL446.50
StephGOD218.50
      02-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #223
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
M Performance Accessories
• M Performance Coilover Suspension specifically tuned for the M2
Won't take long before some buyers who never take it out on track or in the mountains will put their M2 PE up for sale again ("It's a collectable !") after they found out that the M2 M Performance suspension is actually not overly comfortable for daily driving in the urban jungle.
Actually .. it looks like those buyers are already running away quickly enough. Hopefully dealers will find 150 people who want this car.

If it had been optioned this way from the beginning... and available in BSM and with Euro Delivery.. i would be all over this.

In Some markets ... people get to tick the boxes.

In the US (and dare I say Canada eh?) we are lucky to get the boxes.. when we do.. BMW North America likes to spoon feed us with special editions like the Like Rock E9x M3 and this ZL5 edition M2.

these may not fly off the shelves .. but they will eventually sell.

Perhaps they will have a ZL8 sunroof and extended leather version M2 next for the US ..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #224
Encinitas CA M2+M5 Owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Long Beach Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
Its funny how all these posts remind me of what was written when the details on the 1M were released. A bunch of guys who didn't take a chance or get an allocation sitting around talking junk who are all now wanting to buy a 1M and wishing they had!

I for one, did take and allocation, just like I did for the 1M I have sitting in my garage. And yes it's been on the track (the ring and VIR) as will the M2.
A man who puts his money where his mouth is...lets get real here the longer you wait to get the M2...the more you are gonna pay. from 2016-2017...BMW eliminated part of the warranty and raised the price a little on cost of paint etc, now another $800 increase in price mid model....just wait to 2018, let alone a CS edition which is gonna be jacked up by just about every BMW over sticker or lo jack added.

My point is this ..for 61K...and a limited edition of 150...there is no other better deal out there for a brand new M car, collectable, kick assss driving machine.

You wait..you pay...there is always gonna be something better coming down the road....but this deal, limited to 150 and at 61K IS unbeatable. So, buy the car and drive the car before you collect your social security check....
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #225
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
And they will add 35 hp and a different color and ask another $10,000. and then build 3,000 of them.
That's unfortunately probably best case scenario.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #226
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
I love all this 'just wait for the CS' talk.

If you already aren't aware you're getting a CS, you're not getting a CS.
So wait. BMW told you this ??

I am fairly confident that I will at least get 1 allocation of the CS but love the way you make assumptions about something that you don't even know about.

I am also fairly confident that you can still get a CS if you want. Call around a few dealerships that don't have a list and start one.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #227
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
And they will add 35 hp and a different color and ask another $10,000. and then build 3,000 of them.
Even that alone should still be better than adding 0 hp, with the most boring color and add a bunch of cosmetic parts and ask $ 8,000 more to most people.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #228
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Quote:
Even that alone should still be better than adding 0 hp, with the most boring color and add a bunch of cosmetic parts and ask $ 8,000 more to most people.
I for one like it.

ZL5 is 62K

M2 CS probably will keep the pretty
m performance bits. I would be surprised it if has the M performance two way adjustable suspension combined with a new motor. I expect it to be around 70K.

The M4 CS looks like it will be around 80k??

Then all we need next is for BMW to take the time and develop a three way adjustable setup with camber adjustment .. ( ummm M4 GTS ?) for the M2 ..remove the back seats and add a roll cage and price it around 78-85k depending on ceramic brake option.

Everyone will say the M2 GTS is ridiculous compared to the M4 CS. Perhaps make it in both manual and DCT-MATIC.. or make the M2 GTS manual only to keep it distinct from the M4 GTS ..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #229
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
So wait. BMW told you this ??

I am fairly confident that I will at least get 1 allocation of the CS but love the way you make assumptions about something that you don't even know about.

I am also fairly confident that you can still get a CS if you want. Call around a few dealerships that don't have a list and start one.
Look, you can believe whatever you want, I'm not going to spend time arguing with people in forums.

But I'm just going to say that I caught a lot of flak last year from a lot of people were claiming M2's were going to be readily available and overflowing off the lots in 2017, and let's guess who turned out to be right...
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #230
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Look, you can believe whatever you want, I'm not going to spend time arguing with people in forums.

But I'm just going to say that I caught a lot of flak last year from a lot of people were claiming M2's were going to be readily available and overflowing off the lots in 2017, and let's guess who turned out to be right...
I am not saying it will be overflowing off the lots. I am just saying that it won't be impossible to get a CS relatively early if you tried to plan for it now.

Even the M2 right now is not that hard to get at MSRP. There's an M2 at BMW of Vista which has been there for over a week. It has all the M performance parts and is listed at 77K but the sales manager yesterday said they'll sell it for MSRP. They also have around 3 M3s (1 Jahre) and 3 M4s (1 Jahre).

These cars are not as hard to get as a lot of people make it out to be.

A lot of people are saying that the M2 performance edition will be sold for a huge premium owing to it being limited to just 150 units. The ground reality is that it does not look that way since people who are on the wait list for an M2 are passing on it even at MSRP, which I believe is a very good deal for somebody who wants those parts.

Sometimes it's important to separate out the noise from the facts.
Appreciate 2
M2 CSL446.50
      02-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #231
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I for one like it.

ZL5 is 62K

M2 CS probably will keep the pretty
m performance bits. I would be surprised it if has the M performance two way adjustable suspension combined with a new motor. I expect it to be around 70K.

The M4 CS looks like it will be around 80k??

Then all we need next is for BMW to take the time and develop a three way adjustable setup with camber adjustment .. ( ummm M4 GTS ?) for the M2 ..remove the back seats and add a roll cage and price it around 78-85k depending on ceramic brake option.

Everyone will say the M2 GTS is ridiculous compared to the M4 CS. Perhaps make it in both manual and DCT-MATIC.. or make the M2 GTS manual only to keep it distinct from the M4 GTS ..
I like it too because of the suspension mainly. I said earlier that it's good value as well.

However, I still think that the M2 CS will be a much improved car overall.
If it is not, I will start looking for used GT4s.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #232
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
In the US (and dare I say Canada eh?) we are lucky to get the boxes.. when we do.. BMW North America likes to spoon feed us with special editions like the Like Rock E9x M3 and this ZL5 edition M2.
BMW allows the 'Old Continent' to eat "à la carte".

For the US market it's either "table d'hôte" (maybe some siders) or leave the restaurant.
Robban267.00
      02-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #233
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
BMW allows the 'Old Continent' to eat "Ã* la carte".

For the US market it's either "table d'hôte" (maybe some siders) or leave the restaurant.

I know right ?

After a few decades of kicking us out of the restaurant since the E36 M3 CSL.. they finally threw us a bone with the 1M and the M4 GTS.. looks like we may get both CS as well ... we get just enough to keep everyone all around the food bowl. ...
Appreciate 1
Gatte1193.00
      02-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #234
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
BMW allows the 'Old Continent' to eat "à la carte".

Totally. Also, the US has to make prior reservations in most cases.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #235
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
I know right ?

After a few decades of kicking us out of the restaurant since the E36 M3 CSL.. they finally threw us a bone with the 1M and the M4 GTS.. looks like we may get both CS as well ... we get just enough to keep everyone all around the food bowl. ...
Another way to look at it is that they don't serve us dessert any more. We just get the appetizers and the main course.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #236
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
I'm sure glad you feel that way so I can get mine! My M235 was close to this M2 but not as limited and not with the coil overs so to me this is a deal!

do a price check on a exhaust and coil overs and then get back to me on how that $8,000 looks so stupid.

Thanks
      02-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #237
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Another way to look at it is that they don't serve us dessert any more. We just get the appetizers and the main course.
Well, if restaurant visitors would threaten less to sue the restaurant over whatever aspect involving the premises and food + refrain from complaints such as cutlery being capable "under certain circumstances" to cause injuries to John Doe, which in its turn causes severe moral di$tre$$ for the spouse Jane Doe and children, the restaurant owner may cut all you US folks some slack.

Some stuff never makes it stateside because of US rules & regs. But the M2 CS will.
Name:  AirbagWarning.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  68.4 KB
      02-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #238
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure glad you feel that way so I can get mine! My M235 was close to this M2 but not as limited and not with the coil overs so to me this is a deal!

do a price check on a exhaust and coil overs and then get back to me on how that $8,000 looks so stupid.

Thanks
Glad to help.
I did do a price check and posted it earlier as well. It's a good package if you're looking for things that are being offered in the performance edition. Apart from the coilover suspension, nothing else appeals to me and so I will pass.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #239
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Glad to help.
I did do a price check and posted it earlier as well. It's a good package if you're looking for things that are being offered in the performance edition. Apart from the coilover suspension, nothing else appeals to me and so I will pass.
Exactly. It is a good deal if you wanted all the add-ons already. If you didn't want some of them, but have to pay to get them anyway, it becomes less and less of a good deal. What it does show is that BMW is not looking to give people steals on their limited edition models... but is not pricing them at huge premiums either.

That being said, with the PE at US$61K, add a S55 to that (for the CS) and you are already at ~$70K. And I am sure they will add other goodies, plus the MY2019 will have two MY price hikes added. So it is looking like $75-$80K for the M2 CS... maybe shading toward $80K.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #240
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Maybe so BMW can prove the point that most buyers want their creature comforts. Looks like a lot of people are passing on this model.
I think most are passing on it because it commits you to a bunch of accessories and a $2500 track day that could easily be had separately. And there's really nothing special about it except that the US is one of the only countries where you couldn't already order the car this way (base spec).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #241
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post
I think most are passing on it because it commits you to a bunch of accessories and a $2500 track day that could easily be had separately. And there's really nothing special about it except that the US is one of the only countries where you couldn't already order the car this way (base spec).
This is all true. BMW is working a different marketing strat in the US then in other parts of the world. Not bad, not dumb, just what they are doing. I do wonder about the "bunch of accessories". I am buying this car because its basically stripped. Actually, its the same way I ordered my 1M and that was right around $50k so adding the exhaust and coil overs, while not a deal, don't seem to bad price-wise. I do hope the $2,500 track day is more then just that as I do 25 track days a year and have done 3 Perf Deliveries and am bored with them.

Bottom line is this. If you are a BMW fan and like the M2 and put any value in a "limited Edition" release, this is a deal. I compare it to my friend who just spent $61k on a Alfa 4C. A beautiful car and great fun but not nearly the beast the M2 is and not limited in production. Plus, who wants an Italian car anyway! (kidding)
      02-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #242
csnyman2
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
A less comfortable car for just 60lbs in weight saving at a huge premium? No thanks.

The point of the M2 is like the old M3s, a car that's great on the road and on the track. But doing this really only makes it great on the track and if you're going that route, might as well go all the way.

The only thing that got me interested was the limited edition part, because, let's be honest, we all like exclusivity. But this thing will be worthless next to the M2 CS next year.
Yup, agree, pointless. Except to dupe a few guys out of their hard earned cash.
Appreciate 0