BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Fun Facts about the M2 (please contribute)

08-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #23
S2kM2dan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRasF87 View Post
Good to know -- where exactly is that setting in iDrive?
Vehicle Options --> Lighting
Appreciate 2
iRasF8713.50
GSound0.00
      08-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #24
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Every manual transmission Ive ever driven does that.. Youre in gear, engine is idling somewhere just under 1k rpms hence, the car 'creeps' slowly forward as you engage the clutch. All MT cars do it; all Motorcycles do it.. Its just characteristic of all manuals. Its this feature which is oft used to train new drivers on how to shift; it allows for finding the friction point and the proper speed with which to engage/disengage the clutch without stalling.
My 99 Civic SI didn't do this. I learned to drive manual in this car and if i didn't give it gas when i let out the clutch, it would stall the car.
Appreciate 5
      08-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #25
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
My 99 Civic SI didn't do this. I learned to drive manual in this car and if i didn't give it gas when i let out the clutch, it would stall the car.
Older Hondas are less prone to do this because of lack of torque.

The more torque the car produces, the easier it is to let it creep as you engage first.
Appreciate 2
boostm3683.00
      08-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #26
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post

The more torque the car produces, the easier it is to let it creep as you engage first.
Ah, good to know. Guess i learned to drive manual the hard way then, would of saved me lots of headaches if i learned in the M2. Also wished hill assist was around back then. Learning to drive manual and getting stuck on your first hill is not fun LOL.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      08-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #27
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kM2dan View Post
The Preset Numbers on the audio system are touch sensitive. Glide your fingers over the buttons to see what station they are preset to.

Pretty cool, discovered it accidentally
You can assign other functions to them also, I assign one to go to my TPMS so when I am at the track I can monitor pressure and temp easily during the session.
Appreciate 1
Pyrat 21417.50
      08-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #28
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
Quote:

Plus the auto rev match gives the M2 more fuel and therefore keeps the revs from dropping when you let the clutch out. Ah, technology.
      08-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #29
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Every manual transmission Ive ever driven does that.. Youre in gear, engine is idling somewhere just under 1k rpms hence, the car 'creeps' slowly forward as you engage the clutch. All MT cars do it; all Motorcycles do it.. Its just characteristic of all manuals. Its this feature which is oft used to train new drivers on how to shift; it allows for finding the friction point and the proper speed with which to engage/disengage the clutch without stalling.
Yup, it’s called “slipping the clutch.” It’s definitely not a “feature” unique to the M2; it’s just a characteristic of manual transmissions. See more here.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 01:33 AM   #30
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Would be cool if people didn't reply to these - with "thanks" or "same". Will keep the thread nice and clean (I'll even delete this in a day).
finally ! thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #31
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Lane Departure Warning

- Didn't know the steering wheel vibration was a `FEATURE`

- First found steering wheel vibrated after 1 month of ownership, especially on twisty downhill road, later on I figured out that it was because of the camera captured crossing of solid or double solid lane lol
      08-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #32
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywang View Post
Lane Departure Warning

- Didn't know the steering wheel vibration was a `FEATURE`

- First found steering wheel vibrated after 1 month of ownership, especially on twisty downhill road, later on I figured out that it was because of the camera captured crossing of solid or double solid lane lol
Switched it off by day 2
Appreciate 6
JustChris17427.50
DOMs335D220.50
geogerf115.50
ae03440237.00
      08-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #33
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Throwing in a couple of quick tips (iDrive references: pre-LCI):
  • driving modes: see here, here and here: SPORT mode gets you those hallmark M2 overrun sounds each time you abruptly release the throttle + with all nannies active. You won't get those overrun sounds that way in TRACTION mode or COMFORT mode. TRACTION mode is only worth considering when getting out of loose road surfaces (snow/ice/mud/dunes), or when you want to turn heads in town with some louder burbling each time you release the throttle and subsequently give it a few gentle pushes;
  • lowest possible seat position and improving headroom: once the seat is in lowest position, use the tilt button to tilt the seat backwards to its maximum position (tilting the knees as high as possible);
  • headrests rear seats: two positions possible (up or down) (button on the side);
  • glass roof: with one pull of the opening button, the glass roof slides backwards. But that's not the ultimate position yet. To go 'all the way', once the roof has stopped sliding backwards, do a second pull to add a few extra cm² of open space. I often drive with the glass roof tilted (even on highways) with side windows closed (and sometimes also with the interior black roof panel closed: less road/wind noise): nice fresh air discreetly entering the interior. Rather calm. In the mountains: windows and glass roof all open;
  • steering wheel lock: switch off the engine with your door still closed, subsequently open your door and wait for the "SCHLACK!"-sound of the automatic activation of the steering wheel lock. Twist the steering wheel to 'lock' the steering wheel. Here you go: now you got yourself a perfect 'grab handle' to pull yourself out of the car (yeah, we're lazy) + for sure your steering wheel lock is activated;
  • closing/opening: keep pushing the unlock/lock button on the remote key fob to open/close both windows, glass roof and side mirrors; comfort access: keep finger on the door handle to close windows, glass roof and side mirrors;
  • Auto Start/Stop function deactivation: once you started the engine, push the "A OFF" button right above the START/STOP button (amber light = inactive);
  • purpose of the key icon ('dead key fob') on the right hand side of the steering column: if your key fob battery is dead and your car features the access option (option code 0322 - yes, the battery remote controls for BMWs featuring the ' access' option die - never recharged), you can still start the car by holding the key fob against that steering column area between the arrows + subsequently press the brake and 'Start/Stop' button (see here);
  • cruise control = with manual transmission, cruise control automatically resumes the programmed speed after shifting (no need to push the resume button, except if holding the clutch a few moments);
  • rain sensor: default = inactive, so you got to push the rain sensor button to activate it (green light on the right hand stalk = active);
  • seat heating: default = inactive, so you got to push the seat heating button to activate it (3 decreasing levels);
  • steering wheel heating: default = inactive, so you got to push the steering wheel heating button to activate it; beware, it won't work with the M Performance steering wheel (as that steering wheel is not heat-wired);
  • "Lane Depature Warning" + "Collision Warning" buttons near your left knee: green lights on = active. Car memory: once you made a choice, it will stay that way next time you start the engine; unlike the steering wheel heating, the steering wheel vibration of the "Lane Departure Warning" does function with the M Performance steering wheel (as that LDW module is transferred inside the MP steering wheel);
  • to display the "Sport displays" (power & torque info) on the SATNAV display: iDrive Control Display | "Vehicle Info" | "Sport displays" (see here);
  • to avoid the SATNAV screen 'disturbing' you each time you change driving modes:
    iDrive: "Settings" | "Control display" | untick "Driving mode info"
  • toggle between orange and white 'waterfall ambient lighting' radiating from the M2 roof near the rear view mirror:
    iDrive: "Settings" | "Lights" | "Ambient" | choose between "Classic" (amber/orange) and "Sport" (white)
  • program any destination to get SATNAV directions on the OBC + Drive Limit Info (if your M2 features that option) right next to it;
  • untick most OBC info options in the iDrive settings menu: less scrolling through OBC info you're not interested in;
  • Satellite Images: tick the 'Satellite Images' option in the SATNAV options to get a more fancy layout (especially in map view with perspective) when SATNAV zoom is at 2km/1mile range and higher (see here);
  • the 8 programmable memory buttons: you can program quite a lot (phone numbers and addresses that matter (voicemail, home), On-board computer, Vehicle status, Trip computer, Sport displays, button to toggle between SATNAV split screen / single screen, button to toggle between SATNAV guidance voice on/off, etc.). To see what you programmed with a button: touch (don't click) that button - you can slide with your finger along the buttons (more info: see here);
  • High Beam Assist: as soon as your lights automatically activate: push the High Beam Assist button (lower button on the indicator stalk on the left, if your M2 features the HBA option) and leave it on for the rest of the drive;
  • collision warning: set iDrive to "Late" instead of "Early", if you don't want the car to inadvertently brake too quickly all by itself when circling down a parking lot with big curbs;
  • M Performance Exhaust (MPE) hack: for the 'MPE hack' (permanently open or closed valves): see here (note: no re-pairing required after plugging the grey plug back into the MPE module);
  • 12V and USB sockets: apart from the cup holders area and the rear end of the center console, also a 12V socket is located under the glovebox and inside the trunk (depending whether the car features the 575 option "Supplementary/Extra 12V sockets" (see here);
  • cargo net: there's a cargo net under the bootlid in a plastic bag waiting to be attached to the 6 attach points of the bootlid;
  • inside the trunk you can hang a bag on one of both tow hooks located near the rear lights, or take the cargo/stowing net stored near the battery and secure it on the boot floor panel (lashing eyes in the cargo area) + on the right hand side featuring a small movable cargo net (up/down), you can store a helmet;
  • black leather M pouch (instructions manual) storage: under the bootlid, next to the battery - it saves you space inside the glove box (see here);
  • three 33cl cans perfectly fit inside the storage cavity in-between the rear seats (see here);
  • a CD 'booklet' storing tens of compact discs perfectly fits inside the armrest storage;
  • big smartphone: if the passenger seat is empty, open a bit the movable thigh support 'crease' at the front of the passenger seat to the extent that your smartphone is comfortably tucked away without moving - eventually recharge at the same time (see here);
  • walkie-talkie: most walkie talkies fit right next to the seat belt buckle + speaker with clip clipped onto the seatbelt at shoulders' height; alternative: store the walkie-talkie inside the movable thigh support 'crease' part in the front of the passenger seat;
  • Smoker's Package (option code 441): unclip the ashtray if you want some extra storage space;
  • six ways to retrieve the VIN of your M2:
    • method 1: your car documents + your BMW Connected app
    • method 2: windscreen plaque - driver's side (only if the car features option 8SM "VIN visible from outside" and not taped off)
    • method 3: inscription inside the engine bay - passenger side
    • method 4: higher door sill - passenger side
    • method 5 (iDrive): click the "Menu" button on the iDrive, "Settings", "Software update", "Show current version", "Vehicle ID: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆"
    • method 6 (iDrive): click the "Menu" button on the iDrive, "Settings", "Connections", "Bluetooth", then click the "Option" button on the iDrive, "Bluetooth information", "System information", "Vehicle ID no. (VIN): ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆"
boostm3683.00
brocurls263.00
m20e30871143.00
FIDDIE12.00
Corinne1171.00
Rupes1053.50
geogerf115.50
qnet676.00
roobs3.50
      08-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #34
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
7th way to get your VIN. Look at your BMW Connect ap.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #35
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

The speed limit info is actually read from the signs posted and not based on historical GPS data.

I didn't realize this until recently when new construction signs came up and my speed limit info updated with the correct new speed limit
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #36
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

The little flat tire kit in the trunk next to the battery can be used to put air in your tires if your pressure is low. Just don't use the gunk part of the kit meant for a flat.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #37
bmwizgoat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kM2dan View Post
The Preset Numbers on the audio system are touch sensitive. Glide your fingers over the buttons to see what station they are preset to.

Pretty cool, discovered it accidentally
You can assign other functions to them also, I assign one to go to my TPMS so when I am at the track I can monitor pressure and temp easily during the session.
How do I assign this to the button! I can't figure it out
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #38
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwizgoat View Post
How do I assign this to the button! I can't figure it out
While you're on the TPMS screen, hold in whatever number you want it to be paired to for approx. 3 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #39
Kapachui
Enlisted Member
Rep

if you have idrive 6 lite, press and hold back button for all settings.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #40
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
  • "Lane Depature Warning" + "Collision Warning" buttons near your left knee: green lights on = active. Car memory: once you made a choice, it will stay that way next time you start the engine; unlike the steering wheel heating, the steering wheel vibration of the "Lane Departure Warning" does function with the M Performance steering wheel (as that LDW module is transferred inside the MP steering wheel);
The memory only works for lane departure...collision warning resets every time i start the car...now just part of my start up 'checklist' to shut it off...so annoying...wish i could code it off for good.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:44 AM   #41
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

To 'mute' all passengers in the car:-

- Drop to lowest gear possible
- Plant right foot

Works every time!
      08-16-2018, 03:52 AM   #42
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
Switched it off by day 2
I reckon this could be useful when driving in thick fog though.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:53 AM   #43
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
When i got the car, didn't know MT had creep mode in 1st gear. Let out the clutch, no gas and the car creeps forward. Great for traffic and drive thru picking up In-N-Out :P
Here in EU many(9-10) modern bread and butter MT cars from VW to Toyota I have driven have that creep mode: It's the way the engine management/ECU is programmed : not stalling the engine when letting go off clutchpedal in
1st, creeping 2kmh or so, My 1M had it too.

Edit, this:

Quote:
Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      08-16-2018, 04:09 AM   #44
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
Step 01: Get in car

Step 02: tap engine start button once without clutch engaged to wake up the electronics

Step 03: switch to sport + mode to open exhaust flaps

Step 04: depress clutch pedal

Step 05: press start button

Result = angry bark on startup.

Works on cold start and also when engine is warmed although it produces slightly different angry barks. Both of which are seriously cool.
I tried this today but didn't get any different sound... a bit disappointed until I realised I don't have any exhaust flaps
But what I did notice was that my auto-blip disconnected until I restarted the car a couple of miles down the road. It was disconnected in Sport+, Sport, Comfort and Traction. I did actually jab the start button in step 3 above about 3 times as I failed to see the Sport+ light come up. I love my auto-blip feature as people think I'm a real hot-shot racing driver doing heel and toe changes, instead of being a blonde.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 2