BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > South Korea imposes driving bans on BMWs recalled for engine fires

08-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #23
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
so I guess this must mean there are no Teslas loose on the roads of South Korea, yes?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #24
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

I have a feeling Kia has a hand in this. It's well known that the big companies like Samsung and Hyundai and Kia have their hands in the government and if they can use the govt to give BMW a black eye then they will do it.

BMW is going to have to fix the pr problem and probably line some pockets
Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50
      08-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #25
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

People say oh Hyundai/Kia had a hand in this. The truth of the matter is middle class Koreans don't want to drive a Equus or a shitty samsung car. They are educated enough to want German vehicles because of the status symbol it portrays. No pr tactic will change their minds.
Appreciate 2
bsas340i106.00
lab_rat394.50
      08-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #26
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Who's actually Korean in here?

Fuck these haters lol
Haters going to hate they probably have never been to Korea anyway lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #27
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99 View Post
39 vehicles catching on fire during one year seems like a lot!
Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but that's 0.001% of the 30,000 sold there. Perhaps higher than expected, but any part with a failure rate of .001% is acceptable to most companies. Just so happens that some parts can cause fires, and until it happens you just don't know. These cars are probably still safer than many cheap electronics in the average home.

In America, 39 people could have been killed by a vehicle defect and the authorities might not even mandate a recall let alone a driving ban. Just ask GM about the now infamous ignition lock cover-up. People lost their lives all just to save a few cents per car. Quite the dichotomy between the two countries and how they handle these issues.
      08-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #28
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but that's 0.001% of the 30,000 sold there. Perhaps higher than expected, but any part with a failure rate of .001% is acceptable to most companies. Just so happens that some parts can cause fires, and until it happens you just don't know. These cars are probably still safer than many cheap electronics in the average home.

In America, 39 people could have been killed by a vehicle defect and the authorities might not even mandate a recall let alone a driving ban. Just ask GM about the now infamous ignition lock cover-up. People lost their lives all just to save a few cents per car. Quite the dichotomy between the two countries and how they handle these issues.
Actually I wasn't being sarcastic. Clearly it's a problem because BMW is recalling a third of a million vehicles in Europe for this problem.

https://www.motor1.com/news/262023/b...0-cars-europe/

As for the .13% (39/30000) cars catching on fire, that's actually a lot. Not all faults are equal. If your car goes into limp mode 0.13% of the time, that's fine, but if it catches on fire and kills you that's not acceptable.
Appreciate 1
asx320.00
      08-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #29
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbj1201 View Post
Nothing more than a political stunt. She's not qualified for that position.
It's not a stunt! This has been an ongoing issue with BMW's for some time. You should google BMW fires and you'll see. BMW of course denies all and will not accept responsibility. There is obviously an issue though, even here in the states.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #30
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:

39 is 39 too many! Houses were burned down. Imagine had someone been sleeping and died in a fire. I'm sure if it happened to you or a loved one, your thoughts would be different.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #31
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Via CNN:

Quote:
August 14, 2018

South Korea is banning thousands of BMWs after engine fires.

The South Korean government says thousands of BMWs will be banned from the country's roads after some vehicles caught fire.

The German automaker is facing a public relations crisis in South Korea over the fires, which it has blamed on a problem with the cars' exhaust systems.

BMW recalled more than 100,000 vehicles in South Korea last month and has been carrying out emergency inspections. It expanded the checks to Europe last week.

As of late Monday, more than 27,000 of the affected BMWs in South Korea still hadn't been checked, according to the South Korean government.

"Our citizens are deeply concerned," Transportation Minister Kim Hyun-mee said Tuesday. She ordered local authorities to ban people from driving any of the potentially fire-prone BMWs that haven't been brought in for checks.

BMW owners who receive the notices ordering them to take their cars in for inspection will only be allowed to drive the vehicles for the purpose of the safety check.

"We are taking to heart our citizens' criticism that the basic duty of government is to guard its citizens' safety," Kim said. If a fire breaks out in a car defying the ban, the person responsible will be reported to police, according to the ministry.

As many as 39 BMW vehicles have caught fire so far this year, according to South Korean media. No deaths or injuries have been reported.

BMW has linked the problem to defects with the vehicles' exhaust gas recirculation module, part of a system that channels some fumes back into the engine to reduce pollution.

The South Korean government has launched its own investigation into the cause of the fires.

BMW was the second most popular brand of imported cars in South Korea last year, selling nearly 60,000 vehicles, according to the Korea Automobile Importers & Distributors Association. The German company sold more than 2 million vehicles worldwide last year.

The head of BMW in South Korea held a news conference last week in which he bowed deeply before the cameras and offered the company's "sincere apology" for the problems.

Following the government's announcement of the ban Tuesday, BMW said in a statement that it would "actively cooperate with the government, take responsibility and carry out inspections until the last customer."
We both screwed up the math. It's actually over 100,000 total cars, not 30,000. It's clearly a problem and my intention was not to state otherwise. Just the reality of a cars with thousands of parts, sooner or later someone is going to have bad luck and a failing part is going to possibly cause fires.
      08-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #32
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Quote:

39 is 39 too many! Houses were burned down. Imagine had someone been sleeping and died in a fire. I'm sure if it happened to you or a loved one, your thoughts would be different.
I know two people whose houses burnt down as a result of e53 aux fans catching fire. That's not to knock BMW, that's just life. If you think 39 is bad then you really don't want to know how many more fires are caused by common appliances and electronics that we all have in our homes.
      08-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #33
wkkiminct
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Someone of you are quite immature to see this interesting problem 😆

Most legitimate questions here are why this happens more fruequently in South Korea than anywhere else and why now. Are their diesel contents different? Were more diesel cars (in portion to gasoline cars) sold in South Korea than any other regions? Were the problematic parts of EGR produced in specific region or factory? Is it extremely hot over there (surprisingly a small increase of ambient temperature can be significantly factored after combustion)

There are a bunch of more scientifically intriguing questions we can ask before bringing conspiracy theories

Last edited by wkkiminct; 08-14-2018 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #34
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I know two people whose houses burnt down as a result of e53 aux fans catching fire. That's not to knock BMW, that's just life. If you think 39 is bad then you really don't want to know how many more fires are caused by common appliances and electronics that we all have in our homes.
I think it's bad and the day it happens to you, I'm sure you'll think it's horrible!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      08-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #35
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
so I guess this must mean there are no Teslas loose on the roads of South Korea, yes?
Considering only a few Tesla's have ever burned to the ground, that's only wishful thinking on your part.

Nice try though.

08-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #36
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtoE92 View Post
Huge damage to bmw's rep in Korea they even designated separate parking area for BMW owners to park their cars because noone wants to even park near any BMWs thats how bad it is in Korea now
Yeah they have 30-45 minute segments EVERY NIGHT now on the news detailing this crisis. It gets blared in my face at the gym every night it's getting a little annoying. My girlfriend's apartment complex banned BMW's in the parking garage and they have to park outside where there isn't any parking to begin with. Many, many apartment complexes have BMW only parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkmtchll View Post
South Korea is worried about a few BMWs when their own hospitals don't have fire suppression systems. I lived there for 3 years, Korea has no right to talk about anything safety wise.
That's actually not true, all the hospital's I've been to have fire suppression systems. I've been here 4 years and counting. While building codes and safety standards aren't the same as the US, it's still a first world country. And it's not a "few" BMW's, it affects over 100,000 models in country. I think people have a right to worry.

Quote:
Did you live in the country? At least they do have significantly advanced medical resources to be provided at much cheaper price than us when they get burnt
This is definitely true, my coworker spent 10 days in the hospital, private room and everything, and the hospital stay plus meds when he left were extremely cheap. He paid $6 out of pocket. Try THAT in the states... Another coworker's daughter had scoliosis surgery and spent 14 days in the hospital and spent $1,800 out of pocket....
      08-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #37
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Quote:
Huge damage to bmw's rep in Korea they even designated separate parking area for BMW owners to park their cars because noone wants to even park near any BMWs thats how bad it is in Korea now
Yeah they have 30-45 minute segments EVERY NIGHT now on the news detailing this crisis. It gets blared in my face at the gym every night it's getting a little annoying. My girlfriend's apartment complex banned BMW's in the parking garage and they have to park outside where there isn't any parking to begin with. Many, many apartment complexes have BMW only parking.

Quote:
South Korea is worried about a few BMWs when their own hospitals don't have fire suppression systems. I lived there for 3 years, Korea has no right to talk about anything safety wise.
That's actually not true, all the hospital's I've been to have fire suppression systems. I've been here 4 years and counting. While building codes and safety standards aren't the same as the US, it's still a first world country. And it's not a "few" BMW's, it affects over 100,000 models in country. I think people have a right to worry.

Quote:
Did you live in the country? At least they do have significantly advanced medical resources to be provided at much cheaper price than us when they get burnt
This is definitely true, my coworker spent 10 days in the hospital, private room and everything, and the hospital stay plus meds when he left were extremely cheap. He paid $6 out of pocket. Try THAT in the states... Another coworker's daughter had scoliosis surgery and spent 14 days in the hospital and spent $1,800 out of pocket....
I'm over here right now. Got here the night this all started with dramatic news briefs with white bmws on fire lolllll

Everyone freaking out. Little do they know it's such a small percentage.

Overrreaction? Yes. They have nothing better to report about. They replay random YouTube videos on the news for crying out loud. Your typical person won't know anything about cars but will idolize foreign makes like all other big brand names.

IMO... the Kia stinger is sexy as hell. They're finally starting to more roll around here.

the only thing it would make a mess is with insurance and liability issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #38
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Finally something to take their mind off North Korea.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #39
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Finally something to take their mind off North Korea.
Nobody in SK has cared about NK for... Decades.
      08-14-2018, 11:32 PM   #40
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Yikes definitely bad PR. Good on South Korean gov't for doing their part, even though they didn't really have to.
      08-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #41
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Tariffs, charge them tariffs to stop this insanity!
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #42
80386i
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgunfun View Post
Koreans always overreact. No news here.
Your comments come across rude and discriminating.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #43
Steve_Jr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Korea is no.1 country which sold 520d, that means, when it's occured buring issue by EGR, there is more issue than other country. But histroically, Hyundai and Kia, Korean brands have been a lot of speical favor by Korean govenment around these kind of issue.

It's definitely overacting. some of oweners usually talk about when the government has the chance to attack german brand they would take the chance no matter what ... Catching fire is everywhere, everycountry, everybrand even total Q'ty are much more than german brand here.

No sense here .... Just witch-hunting ...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #44
Samuel L Jackson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Yea. I lived there for three years. Yes, medical care is cheap but they have zero in safety regulations and building codes.

I feel as if the whole thing is a ploy to ban BMW and help line the pockets of Kia and Samsung. I find it really strange that this only happened in Korea.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/w...uth-korea.html
They do have safety regulations, just not as many compared to the USA. You can also bribe the right kind of people to get by. But because of a lot of these kinds of issues are happening in the news, they are starting to crack down.

Korea has a socialized medical system, cheaper but not as good as the USA.

And BMWs were recalled in the USA for fire risk too. Took my car in not that long ago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...res/828690001/
Appreciate 0