BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > AST 3-way on M2

06-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #23
CryptoM2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Anyone try and get the Litchfield's in the US?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:11 AM   #24
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

V Brief B2B c/overs comparison MPS v AST

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Hey guys,

I have the Litchfield AST- 2 Way 5100 fitted to my M2. They are more supple on day to day driving than the stock suspension and once you get moving at pace they firm up nicely and keep the car planted, even mid bend if you hit a dip or bump. The twitchy/bouncy rear end has gone and the turn in is much improved! Litchfield developed them exclusively with AST.
Was fortunate enough to meet up with GWM2 a couple of weekends ago. We swapped cars so had an all-to-brief stint at the wheel of his cracking BSM M2 - fettled by Litchfield c/w AST c/overs - wearing 19" MPSC2's 245/265 F&R, spacers - 5mm F&R IIRC - plus F87CS ePAS and M4GTS MDM coded in.

My AW M2 DCT - no coding or spacers, MP c/overs at OEM specs + OEM MPSS 245/265 tyres and OEM -30min camber correction hubs.

My thoughts on AST v MP coilovers - as per thread on FB:-

I liked AST setup although felt softer than my MP coils even though the BSM AST car was running 19” MPSC2’s, stiffer than MPSS’s and had F87CS ePAS coded in.

Handling / road manners - too brief a drive to say.

IMHO - despite car having F87Comp or CS ePAS coded in - steering feel on mine (19” OE MPSS with MP coils and -30min camber correction hubs) was “meatier”. Rapid see-saw L&R of the steering wheel - repeated a few times - AST car’s helm not as responsive as mine.

GWM2 FB response to my comments above:-

Quote:
yep your set up was stiffer, I put that down to the rating of the KW springs compared to the AST’s,

I agree, those -30min M4 camber correction hubs make all the difference in the steering feeling. They do give the steering a meaty/heavier feel thats not synthetic, its almost like the car is trying to fight you to stay straight! I’ve driven a M2 with the KW/BMW fitted without the correction hubs and its night and day compared to yours.

I will be getting them fitted and pairing them with my newly acquired Trofeo R tyres.

Next time we can get the cars on the twists

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 07:48 PM   #25
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

A thread about a highend 3 way kit and no install pics from the OP, so what's the point in posting...?

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #26
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Bee Pee, what are these M4 Camber Correcting hubs you speak of? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #27
MovingChicane
Been there and back...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four inc. a '21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Does AST need to be rebuild a lot? Like with Intrax suspensions and so on?
I'm a little late to this thread, but has anyone compiled and posted a list of aftermarket coilover/similar suspension systems for the M2 that "ranks" the rebuild requirements/timelines for all the options (BMW M Comp. through custom Penske's)?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #28
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Bee Pee, what are these M4 Camber Correcting hubs you speak of? TIA.
I didn't want too much more camber as my car has dual duties as DD and TD toy.

Camber plates give more adjustment but are noisy so this is a fit and forget, warranty friendly OEM solution to add half degree more front camber.

More info here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=Correction

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:19 AM   #29
arsenium
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAGG View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2018 M2. Since purchase, I have put some AST 3-way suspension on the car. It is my first time with AST/Moton and I can say I have been blown away. I had KW Clubsports on my e92 track car and I currently have KW V3 on my e46 streen/canyon car. I must first say that any of those are really great choices if you are looking for an upgrade. However, I don't think any suspension I have driven on has transformed a car like the AST did. The m2 out of the box is a great car but I felt like the turn in, predictability, and even the comfort were vastly improved over the stock setup. I haven't had a chance to push the car on the track yet due to weather but I would guess that I would gain 3-5 seconds over the stock setup on what would probably be a 2:00 lap.
I don't work, nor am I sponsored by for KW or AST/Moton. I'm just a car enthusiast that wanted to share his experience and give a thumbs up to a great company.

Sean
Hi, do you know your rebound/compression settings?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #30
Beyond Help
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAGG View Post
fronts are 150 N/m (856 lb/in)
rears are 90 N/m (513 lb/in)

http://astsuspension-na.com/
I think turner might sell them as well

Just curious why the AST/Moton coilovers use a stiffer spring in the front vs the rear. All other brands tend to have a stiffer spring in the rear. Is it because of the rear being an actual coilover design?
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2021, 08:26 PM   #31
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Old thread, bringing back up to ask for feedback from those that have been running AST for some time. I'm considering the 5200 or 5300 series for my M2C with GC camber plates.

1. How many miles on AST setup, and any need to rebuild yet?
2. What spring rates would you recommend for track and some street compromise (not a daily driver).
3. Any compatibility issues with GC plates?

Edit:
4. From 1 (poor) to 10 (perfect), how would you rate your experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #32
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Old thread, bringing back up to ask for feedback from those that have been running AST for some time. I'm considering the 5200 or 5300 series for my M2C with GC camber plates.
I have the 5100s:

1. How many miles on AST setup, and any need to rebuild yet?
About 15K and no rebuild needed yet.

2. What spring rates would you recommend for track and some street compromise (not a daily driver).
My 5100s are slightly more fast road focused than what you are after, but I think that they are really great - they have progressive 90nm on front, and linear 90nm on the rear.

As I understand it, the spring options that you have are (F/R):

Street 90n/90n

Track 100n/90n

Track+ 110n/90n

Race 120n/100n

Race 130n/100n

3. Any compatibility issues with GC plates?
If you are buying 5200 or 5300 they will come with AST camber plates included (I wish they did them for the 5100!).
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #33
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

The old adage where 2 way is street and 3 way is track is completely wrong .

A 3 way on the street is much more preferred because you have the option of adjusting and softening high speed compression , which a 2 way doesn't - hence making a 3 way a much more comfortable ride on the street !

2 ways should be for track only since they are only adjusting 2 areas rather then having the option to soften high speed bumps on the street .

The 4 ways must make for a super compliant ride on the street ...Price is high but may be worth it on a car that's a keeper for life .
Appreciate 2