M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins R&T

04-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Ohlins R&T

Just installed along with Vorschlag plates. -2.0 camber for street/track. Car feels transformed! Excellent set up and delighted with the ride in the recommended F87 settings from Ohlins.

Ride height is what the corner balancing dictated. Looks great!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
bmwv107.50
Bazgab132.00
      04-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
Just installed along with Vorschlag plates. -2.0 camber for street/track. Car feels transformed! Excellent set up and delighted with the ride in the recommended F87 settings from Ohlins.

Nice, which springs did you use?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwv View Post
Quote:

Nice, which springs did you use?
515/1316 - the recommended set up
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #4
osracing
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW 1er Coupé

setup
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Awesome. Front gap looks slightly larger than rear, or is it just the perspective?

Mind letting me know where you picked the set up from and how much you paid? I’m looking at a set myself... thx
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Awesome. Front gap looks slightly larger than rear, or is it just the perspective?

Mind letting me know where you picked the set up from and how much you paid? I’m looking at a set myself... thx
The gap looks a bit larger in front because of the -2.0 deg camber.

I ordered them through my racing shop. They were around $3.0K
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
The standard setup should have been a 190 N/mm or 1084 lb/in rear spring. 1316 is the standard M3/4 setup.

Our street customers typically like the 160 N/mm or lower rear spring for a slightly more compliant ride. Some have gone to an 80 N/mm front as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Quote:
The standard setup should have been a 190 N/mm or 1084 lb/in rear spring. 1316 is the standard M3/4 setup.

Our street customers typically like the 160 N/mm or lower rear spring for a slightly more compliant ride. Some have gone to an 80 N/mm front as well.
I have the part # 48010-67 rear spring for the R&T set up. Looking at the rates, it's 190 N/mm as you wrote. Sorry for the confusion
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
RtotheM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:

Looks like a decent drop. How much lower over stock?

Do you have a pic from the front and side, it's difficult to see the wheel arch gap from the angle your pics have been taken.

I'm in the UK and would love this suspension, but Ohlins website states a 10mm drop which isn't much over stock.

I want the better handling that the Ohlins kit looks to provide but also want a decent stance.

With the current geometry settings on the car, could you add spacers to further fill the arches without introducing rubbing/scuffing of the tyres against the arches?

Last edited by RtotheM; 09-04-2018 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #10
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by RtotheM View Post
Quote:

Looks like a decent drop. How much lower over stock?

Do you have a pic from the front and side, it's difficult to see the wheel arch gap from the angle your pics have been taken.

I'm in the UK and would love this suspension, but Ohlins website states a 10mm drop which isn't much over stock.

I want the better handling that the Ohlins kit looks to provide but also want a decent stance.

With the current geometry settings on the car, could you add spacers to further fill the arches without introducing rubbing/scuffing of the tyres against the arches?
Here a few pics of mine on the Ohlins.

I was also curious before going with the Ohlins if it would allow for a nice stance. It goes as low as I'll ever need it to be.
Attached Images

09-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #11
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can drop significantly more than 10mm. I dropped approx one inch and corner balanced.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
RtotheM
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post

I was also curious before going with the Ohlins if it would allow for a nice stance. It goes as low as I'll ever need it to be.
Thats perfect thank you so much for sharing those pics...mind made up 100% this is the way to go.

Your M looks beautiful, with a perfect stance, exactly how I would want it.

What size wheels and offsets and tires did you go with and any issues with rubbing?
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
RtotheM
Registered
Rep

Quote:
You can drop significantly more than 10mm. I dropped approx one inch and corner balanced.
Thank you...Perfect!! exactly what I needed to know!
Appreciate 1
gsrbri559.50
      09-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by RtotheM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post

Thats perfect thank you so much for sharing those pics...mind made up 100% this is the way to go.

Your M looks beautiful, with a perfect stance, exactly how I would want it.

What size wheels and offsets and tires did you go with and any issues with rubbing?
Thanks! 19x9.5 +22 F and 19x10.5 +34 R. No rubbing but running original MPSS from the factory wheels.
      10-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
I'm planning to with Ohlins but I'm reading different statements regarding the max drop. Ohlins website here says max 15mm allowed. How were you able to drop about 1inch (~25mm)?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #16
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
I'm planning to with Ohlins but I'm reading different statements regarding the max drop. Ohlins website here says max 15mm allowed. How were you able to drop about 1inch (~25mm)?
Visually it appears to be more than 1 inch. I'm not sure how much the R&T drop the ride height inherently (starting point). From there, the additional drop range is set. I'll get a few before/after photos
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #17
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Visually it appears to be more than 1 inch. I'm not sure how much the R&T drop the ride height inherently (starting point). From there, the additional drop range is set. I'll get a few before/after photos
Before (right side view)
And after
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #18
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Ohlins has their recommendations but there is plenty of room to go either way, higher or lower.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #19
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Ohlins has their recommendations but there is plenty of room to go either way, higher or lower.
Their website (link) states height adjustment range is +15mm/-15mm.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #20
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

If you look at where the front adjuster is, there is plenty of space to go either way.

For the rear, if x is 40mm, that is about 80mm at the wheel of lowering and more than what you need if going higher.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      10-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #21
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Another R&T development

Yesterday - while experimenting with damping adjustments, I went beyond 20 clicks...and noticed that, on the rear shocks, I have a total of a 62 click range! Audible, tactile "clicks." I thought maybe it was an issue with one shock, but the other rear shock also has exactly 62 clicks available before stopping. So, they are uniform.

I then went to the front strut dampers. They have 27 clicks (both of them).

I never explored the total range of clicks until yesterday. I was using the full clockwise as a baseline and hadn't departed more than 15 or so clicks from that.

I have emailed Ohlins tech rep and I'll see what he has to say.

Any other instances of this from someone using the R&T F87 set up? I checked part numbers and installation and it all checks out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yesterday - while experimenting with damping adjustments, I went beyond 20 clicks...and noticed that, on the rear shocks, I have a total of a 62 click range! Audible, tactile "clicks." I thought maybe it was an issue with one shock, but the other rear shock also has exactly 62 clicks available before stopping. So, they are uniform.

I then went to the front strut dampers. They have 27 clicks (both of them).

I never explored the total range of clicks until yesterday. I was using the full clockwise as a baseline and hadn't departed more than 15 or so clicks from that.

I have emailed Ohlins tech rep and I'll see what he has to say.

Any other instances of this from someone using the R&T F87 set up? I checked part numbers and installation and it all checks out.
Any photos of where your front adjustable collar and rear adjuster perches are located? That will help answer a previous question regarding the adjustment range of Ohlins R&T on F87 M2. Thanks.
Appreciate 0