BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Interest in "silent" camber plates?

06-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Interest in "silent" camber plates?

With the M2's original top mounts you can't adjust camber. And the OEM camber setting is way too low for track use, you simply kill your tires way too fast with it. So you need added camber and hence camber plates.

But stiffer bushings, do I see any benefit from changing rubber bushings to stiffer mounts here and there? No. Not at all. I'm perfectly happy with how the car behaves on track with all mounts and bushings being OEM rubber.

So the benefits of stiff mounts in the camber plates are none whatsoever for me. And there is a downside with the stiff mounts, more tire noise in the cabin.

What I want is added camber, say -3.2 or thereabouts. And OEM like rubber mounts so not to increase noise. Is this available anywhere?

PS:
On my M3 E36 3.2 I simply swapped the left and right top mounts, that gave me the camber I wanted without any downsides. This trick doesn't work on the F87 due to no built in offset in the OEM camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I don’t have any added noise with my Vorshlag’s.
Appreciate 1
gsrbri559.50
      06-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Very happy with Ground Control....holds its settings and no noise
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Magnus aren't you on Millway camber plates already? Which reuse stop rubber upper perch.

I have GC and they are NOISY. I want to swap them.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:08 AM   #5
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

There is only some increase in tire whine (from the tread pattern) due to the solid connection of the strut to the top mount, bolted to a bearing instead of rubber in the top mounts center.

Does any camber plate at all have rubber at it's center where you bolt the strut?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
There is only some increase in tire whine (from the tread pattern) due to the solid connection of the strut to the top mount, bolted to a bearing instead of rubber in the top mounts center.

Does any camber plate at all have rubber at it's center where you bolt the strut?
Nice find... I guess not then.

My last option before going back to stock top hats was TC Kline/Millway camber plates (similar design which reuse stock upper spring perch) but the noise might be coming from the strut bushing indeed...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

My take is that there's a slightly increased cabin noise level from tire tread and rough road surfaces but the M2 really doesn't need increased noise levels So I'm looking for a solution.

One would be to run OEM top mounts and shims for the strut/upright mounting points.

Another would be to get Millway to develop an OEM level of noise "silent" camber plate for sissies like me

If there's some interest for this maybe that could happen.
Appreciate 1
Saanen180.50
      06-27-2018, 12:55 AM   #8
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I don’t have any added noise with my Vorshlag’s.
Are you sure? Rough asphalt road surfaces and semi slick coarse tire treads seem to have upped their noise levels in the cabin a bit with some unknown percentage IMHO. It sounds the same but just a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure? Rough asphalt road surfaces and semi slick coarse tire treads seem to have upped their noise levels in the cabin a bit with some unknown percentage IMHO. It sounds the same but just a bit more.
I didn’t notice any perceived increase. Are you running ASD off?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I didn't either really notice any "in my face" obvious increases in noise levels when I got them mounted. But after a discussion with a friend and listening to what sort of noises there are in the cabin from semi slick tire treads and the very rough asphalt that is used here in Sweden I do think there is some noise reduction possible.

Okay, I'm a bit out on a limb here... But tread noise and asphalt noise are both very small but fast vibrations that the shock transfers to it's upper bolting point in the top mount. These very small very fast movements are just what rubber is good at handling. AFAIK...

Oh, ASD mostly off.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't either really notice any "in my face" obvious increases in noise levels when I got them mounted. But after a discussion with a friend and listening to what sort of noises there are in the cabin from semi slick tire treads and the very rough asphalt that is used here in Sweden I do think there is some noise reduction possible.

Okay, I'm a bit out on a limb here... But tread noise and asphalt noise are both very small but fast vibrations that the shock transfers to it's upper bolting point in the top mount. These very small very fast movements are just what rubber is good at handling. AFAIK...

Oh, ASD mostly off.
I have ASD on, so I don’t think I’d hear what you’re describing. Sorry I can’t help.

Separately, I don’t know why everyone complains about ASD. I turned it back on precisely for this reason, I’d rather hear “fake” engine noise than road noise.

Plus, ASD volume is dialed back some in the latest ISTEP update.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I made a switch with a short cable so I could disable ASD totally (and kill the whole stereo at the same time) easily back and fourth while out driving. I ended up keeping it on. Mainly because I mostly drive in traction mode where there is no intrusive ASD IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I made a switch with a short cable so I could disable ASD totally (and kill the whole stereo at the same time) easily back and fourth while out driving. I ended up keeping it on. Mainly because I mostly drive in traction mode where there is no intrusive ASD IMHO.
Nice. Well, I’m generally pretty perceptive on these types of things. I didn’t notice a noise increase with the Vorshlags. I did notice more noise with wider Michelin’s tho.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Nice. Well, I’m generally pretty perceptive on these types of things. I didn’t notice a noise increase with the Vorshlags. I did notice more noise with wider Michelin’s tho.
Interesting. As you can see in my previous posts I'm not 101% sure there is a noise increase but sure enough to want to follow up if a reduction of noise is possible.

A lot of tread and asphalt induced noise in the cabin seem to be in the neighbourhood of 700-900 hertz. This does not change with speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #15
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. As you can see in my previous posts I'm not 101% sure there is a noise increase but sure enough to want to follow up if a reduction of noise is possible.

A lot of tread and asphalt induced noise in the cabin seem to be in the neighbourhood of 700-900 hertz. This does not change with speed.
I definitely had road/tire noise increase with my Ohlins coilovers and Vorshlag setup. Also went from stock Contis to slightly wider Michelin Pilot 4S tires at roughly same time. I was expecting the increase with the stiffer suspension and the solid mounting of the camber plates.

Some road surfaces it is like stock noise-wise but on certain highway surfaces there is a decent increase in road noise. I have gotten used to it now so it doesn't really bother me, this car is just loud in general.

This is with ASD off (wired out) and driving in Traction mode or DSC full off all the time.
      07-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Any harder and stiffer track setting will give you more noise. Brake pads and rotors, tires, camber plates, coilovers, swaybars, roll cage, they all contribute increased cabin noise as vehicle in general gets rigid and planted down to the road surface. There is no way around for us to get same or reduced noise setting whilst vehicle goes more aggressive setting.

Any adjustable camber plates will give you "more noise" compared to non-adjustable (fixed) options which usually not available these days general. Extra bolts & nuts/ washers will give you noise over turns especially at full rotation. You just have to forget about the noise and get used to it.

Another solution is to add more sound deadening material in the wheel well to less tire noise coming into the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:27 PM   #17
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
KMAC have an elastomer-suspended washer for the strut shank, but they have other issues that I think disqualify them as "street-able".
      07-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

I have Vorschlag and Ohlins R&T. Some road noise, but not bad at all. However, I am of the opinion there is a balance between road car and track car. To my mind, this doesn't cross the line. It's still a comfortable, quiet, smooth car on the road.

Go for a ride in a stock 996 or 997 GT3 and you'll see/hear what I mean.

Plus, anything that reduces front-end flex is great in my book. This mod made an appreciable difference. Subtle but it's there.

In short, some rawness is good in a performance car. The stock M2 doesn't have much of this, hence my modest (sort of) mods.
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50