BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Interesting way to think about the M2C and whether it's a good deal or not

08-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #23
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Hey guys, great discussion!

I guess I should add a disclaimer: I am not in any way involved in the auto industry, so this is all pure armchair theorizing. When I'm not being a BMW fanboy, in real life I am a private equity operations / strategy guy, where we buy up a company, completely overhaul it, etc., etc., so this is the type of analysis we would do on any due diligence assignment.

But, if anybody here is an industry veteran and has insights into real margins, would LOVE to hear your thoughts. Just find this all really fascinating.
Appreciate 1
mikeahso411.50
      08-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post

I guess I should add a disclaimer: I am not in any way involved in the auto industry, so this is all pure armchair theorizing. When I'm not being a BMW fanboy, in real life I am a private equity operations / strategy guy, where we buy up a company, completely overhaul it, etc., etc., so this is the type of analysis we would do on any due diligence assignment.

But, if anybody here is an industry veteran and has insights into real margins, would LOVE to hear your thoughts. Just find this all really fascinating.
M division products are the highest grossing products of the group, not breakeven. 2018 automotive EBIT target is around 9%. It has fluctuated between 8% to 9% for the past several quarters. It reached 11% in 2011 if my memory serves me well.

They make money on the Ms, both full blown, m performance as well.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #25
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
Quote:

M division products are the highest grossing products of the group, not breakeven. 2018 automotive EBIT target is around 9%. It has fluctuated between 8% to 9% for the past several quarters. It reached 11% in 2011 if my memory serves me well.

Wow! Thank you! Damn, there goes my armchair theorizing out the window!

That's incredible that in such a competitive industry they can continue to make such high margins. I would have thought that given such a crowded field, there's no possible way they could and would simply use the division as a loss leader. Amazing.

Gnx, do you happen to know, why doesn't Audi or Mercedes simply undercut slightly and take all the market share? Or have they learned how to play nicely with one another over the years?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #26
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow! Thank you! Damn, there goes my armchair theorizing out the window!

That's incredible that in such a competitive industry they can continue to make such high margins. I would have thought that given such a crowded field, there's no possible way they could and would simply use the division as a loss leader. Amazing.

Gnx, do you happen to know, why doesn't Audi or Mercedes simply undercut slightly and take all the market share? Or have they learned how to play nicely with one another over the years?
Ok, time for me to theorize I guess.

Is everything a matter of price exclusively? Where should Merc (AMG) and Audi (Sport) pricing be for M quantity to go to where exactly depending on price elasticity?

Bottom line is that all three subsidiaries are the most profitable within the respective companies and increasing the sales of full blown and half way performance versions are accretive to earnings. They know it , we' ll see if we will get a z4 m coupe this time around
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #27
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

"overhaul"

interesting
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #28
AESZ4
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
OP don't quit your day job.
sounds like he works for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #29
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i

Quote:
Hope you got a refund on the charm school tuition. Comments like yours are why some people equate BMW to porcupines, except the latter has the pricks on the outside.
Appreciate 2
COChris888.50
Shekels89.50
      08-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #30
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, time for me to theorize I guess.

Is everything a matter of price exclusively? Where should Merc (AMG) and Audi (Sport) pricing be for M quantity to go to where exactly depending on price elasticity?

Bottom line is that all three subsidiaries are the most profitable within the respective companies and increasing the sales of full blown and half way performance versions are accretive to earnings. They know it , we' ll see if we will get a z4 m coupe this time around

Super interesting. You're right. These companies have been around for forever, and it's not just a matter of pricing exclusively. They've probably figured out over time how to co-exist and not upset each others' apple carts.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #31
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOhio View Post
Quote:
Hope you got a refund on the charm school tuition. Comments like yours are why some people equate BMW to porcupines, except the latter has the pricks on the outside.
I thought they all switched to Audi they way they drive now!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #32
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Mostly those angry 1 series owners...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #33
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
They probably had one dude spend 2 days retuning their already developed S55 for the M2
You start off sounding like you know more than the OP .... then you say this LOL
Well it's software tuning. I am exaggerating of course but you get my point....of course it takes more effort than that but my point is that it's not a new engine yknow? It's been around. They probably already have different tunings developed from past research.
      08-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #34
Free Spirit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Half of the 60k for the base vehicle is what it probably cost BMW in parts and labor for the M2C.

The rest is R&D and overhead.. I am pretty sure they make at least 30% profit or 18k per vehicle.

Everybody has to make a profit or they cease to exist; from the corner-boy hustler to the mega corporations.

BMW is not doing anyone any favors; they eating good..

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1366240
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #35
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Spirit View Post
Half of the 60k for the base vehicle is what it probably cost BMW in parts and labor for the M2C.

The rest is R&D and overhead.. I am pretty sure they make at least 30% profit or 18k per vehicle.

Everybody has to make a profit or they cease to exist; from the corner-boy hustler to the mega corporations.

BMW is not doing anyone any favors; they eating good..

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1366240
$18k sounds like too much, man. Less than $10k for sure. Porsche makes 15% on their cars and they are waaaaaaay more profitable than other carmakers...
      08-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #36
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

I did a comparison on the canadian website, between '18 M4 and '18 M2

With the same amount of addons and options, like mperf exhaust , adaptive led, etc etc,

Pretty much maxed out m2 vs m4

M2 came out to 75k m4 was 111k beforr taxes,

Myself i got a 18 m2, which had mpe, 763m wheels, m suspension and other cosmetic addons , got from dealer for 86k
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #37
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Aw gee sorry mister!

Great joke BTW. Never heard it before.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #38
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

They key factor that invalidates OP's theory is the cost of R&D for an M model above and beyond the regular series model it's derived from.
BMW has the formula nailed down, with the turbo engines even more so. Software tuning plus some strengthened internals, wide body, suspension upgrades (probably the highest cost) and some slap on visuals and exhaust which pays for itself with high take on the M-performance version. Everything else is recycled parts such as brakes, seats, wheels and mirrors (again shared among many M models)

Every expensive option such as DCT and carbon fiber roofs more than pay for their R&D with insane margins to boot.

In conclusion, unlike a bespoke sports car such as the Audi R8 (which itself was half based on the Gallardo) series derived performance versions are not loss leaders, they are in fact cash cows with the added benefit of marketing and brand image building that helps sell the volume vehicles.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #39
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
They key factor that invalidates OP's theory is the cost of R&D for an M model above and beyond the regular series model it's derived from.
BMW has the formula nailed down, with the turbo engines even more so. Software tuning plus some strengthened internals, wide body, suspension upgrades (probably the highest cost) and some slap on visuals and exhaust which pays for itself with high take on the M-performance version. Everything else is recycled parts such as brakes, seats, wheels and mirrors (again shared among many M models)

Every expensive option such as DCT and carbon fiber roofs more than pay for their R&D with insane margins to boot.

In conclusion, unlike a bespoke sports car such as the Audi R8 (which itself was half based on the Gallardo) series derived performance versions are not loss leaders, they are in fact cash cows with the added benefit of marketing and brand image building that helps sell the volume vehicles.
+1

The only cars that BMW probably regrets building from a financial standpoint are the Z cars, and that's why they partnered with Toyota for this one.
Appreciate 1
Ramos862.50
      08-16-2018, 12:32 AM   #40
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
+1

The only cars that BMW probably regrets building from a financial standpoint are the Z cars, and that's why they partnered with Toyota for this one.
Most recently the i-program, I believe initial investment was 2 bill. Sure some of the drivetrain tech will trickle down over years. But they admitted defeat recently, saying there will be no second gen i3 or i8. Instead they will abandon carbon composite body/chassis and build upcoming all-electric cars on existing car/suv platforms.

Last edited by hellrotm; 08-16-2018 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #41
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
They need to make an M-Xbee-C

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-loses-title...-in-1828492428
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50