BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 2020 Allocation shortage?

02-24-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

2020 Allocation shortage?

Well I finally joined the Club! After obsessing over this car for the last 6 months, the timing was right and I put a deposit down on my own M2C. As I want to spec the car, my dealer stated that they would have to go out and trade for an allocation with another dealer, as they will not have another from BMW until April. Apparently BMW is doling them out every 2 months, instead of every month. My SA stated allocations are getting scarce with the 2020 model year coming to a close. Does this sound correct? How willing are dealerships to swap out allocations?

Thanks in advance for helping out the new guy!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

There was another post earlier about someone having difficulty with an allocation. If you can't get an allocation until at least April, might as well get a MY21, if you can.

I'm assuming there was not too much of a discount for MY21 orders.
      02-25-2020, 04:41 AM   #3
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
There was another post earlier about someone having difficulty with an allocation. If you can't get an allocation until at least April, might as well get a MY21, if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post

I was able to get a decent discount on the MY20 order. I would assume dealers would treat MY21 the same as there have been no rumors about changes to the specs

My concern is that I do not want to miss this years driving season. (I'm in CT, USA) I am hoping I can get an early May delivery, which would be perfect
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 06:34 AM   #4
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
I was able to get a decent discount on the MY20 order. I would assume dealers would treat MY21 the same as there have been no rumors about changes to the specs

My concern is that I do not want to miss this years driving season. (I'm in CT, USA) I am hoping I can get an early May delivery, which would be perfect
From what I have seen on this board the wait times for a build are around 3-4 months. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
From what I have seen on this board the wait times for a build are around 3-4 months. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
It depends on how long you wait for the allocation to actually come up. If your allocation is for a week 12 car right now, you'll wait a month, then a few weeks for them to build it and get it out of Germany, then roughly a month for it to ship to you (depending on where you live...could be longer).

When I ordered my car, I took an allocation that was already set in stone. The car went into production 7 days later and I had the car right at 2 months, Germany to Portland, OR.

My SO's 530e is a different story. We ordered it on November 13th. It didn't go into Production until January 10th or so. It's on a truck coming to Portland right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Quote:
It depends on how long you wait for the allocation to actually come up. If your allocation is for a week 12 car right now, you'll wait a month, then a few weeks for them to build it and get it out of Germany, then roughly a month for it to ship to you (depending on where you live...could be longer).

When I ordered my car, I took an allocation that was already set in stone. The car went into production 7 days later and I had the car right at 2 months, Germany to Portland, OR.

My SO's 530e is a different story. We ordered it on November 13th. It didn't go into Production until January 10th or so. It's on a truck coming to Portland right now.
Just got a cryptic email from my SA stating she would email me the specs tomorrow and the car would be at the dealership early march. Not sure exactly what that means, but I guess I will find out what she has in mind tomorrow?!:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just got a cryptic email from my SA stating she would email me the specs tomorrow and the car would be at the dealership early march. Not sure exactly what that means, but I guess I will find out what she has in mind tomorrow?!:
Most likely someone ordered a car and backed out. Car is already en route to the states.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Most likely someone ordered a car and backed out. Car is already en route to the states.
Just received my allocation! Code 111, start of the process. Already cant stand the wait....!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

What are the specs of your build?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #10
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
What are the specs of your build?
HH, Blue stitching, carbon trim, Bi-color wheels and the Exec. Pkg. and, for me at least, the first reason I fell in love with this car: The manual tranny
Appreciate 1
Supernaut391.00
      02-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #11
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

We picked up his 530e today. 3 months, 16 days since we ordered it (we could have gotten on Wednesday night, though, but were too busy). Longest either of us have ever waited for a car. We got lucky with the VPC, it was only there for about a day.

Best hopes for a quick order process!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #12
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

I agree with you on the recent scarcity of allocations.

I ordered late December (just after Christmas).

No allocations forthcoming all of January-- this surprised the SA.

He was able to trade an allocation with another dealer in early February for a Week 7 build slot.

The car is on the boat as we speak-- expecting delivery the first week of April.

So, call it 14 weeks between putting down the deposit and taking delivery.

YMMV.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 03-01-2020 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 12:28 AM   #13
ddnmkun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, G05

Not sure how scares it is.
I was talking to my SA in Beaverton, OR back in Jan to discuss about a timeline of ordering one. He was able to put me on week 9 build this week with a late April delivery, perfectly line up with my i3 lease return!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
I agree with you on the recent scarcity of allocations.

I ordered late December (just after Christmas).

No allocations forthcoming all of January-- this surprised the SA.

He was able to trade an allocation with another dealer in early February for a Week 7 build slot.

The car is on the boat as we speak-- expecting delivery the first week of April.

So, call it 14 weeks between putting down the deposit and taking delivery.

YMMV.

R.
Same exact story from me. I think there were shortages or the ones people are getting are ones that were trades from other places (just like mine and flybigjet's). Mine's on a boat too, should be here mid-march.
Appreciate 0