BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Hockenheim Silver - Ceramic Coating

02-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #23
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
PPF is just superior to CC in every way. I looked extensively into CC prior to delivery, and concluded cost and protection wise, Xpel was a no brainer.

My detailer let me play around with a piece of Xpel and it's tough as nails. Plus at 80MPH+ it can deal with a rock chip pretty well, considering it's really tough plastic.

I can't even imagine a liquid coating trying to deal with highway rock chips at speed. There's just no way it can protect against it.
Just last week as I was getting onto the express way a stupid dump truck that was just coming from a construction site had rocks and clumps of dirt falling out of it, I had no where to go and some of it hit my car. Later saw that it hit the hood and my driver side light, but thanks to XPEL Ultimate it protected it. The film on the headlight is marred and I might replace it. The mark on the hood just wiped away. Worth every penny!
Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
MMMBRAP975.50
      02-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #24
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Just last week as I was getting onto the express way a stupid dump truck that was just coming from a construction site had rocks and clumps of dirt falling out of it, I had no where to go and some of it hit my car. Later saw that it hit the hood and my driver side light, but thanks to XPEL Ultimate it protected it. The film on the headlight is marred and I might replace it. The mark on the hood just wiped away. Worth every penny!
Absolutely. And this was the exact situation I forsaw happening. In my last car there were countless times where I just couldn't do anything and I literally had to witness rock chips happen. I hated that feeling.

So the first thing I did when I took delivery was drive it straight from the dealer to my PPF guy and dropped the car off to get it done. It gives me greater peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #25
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I have complete wrap in Xpel ultimate and ceramic coat on top. The Expel stops the rock chips and the ceramic coat makes dirt and grime much less likely to stick. When it does get dirty just a water hose is all it takes to remove. It doesn't last forever though. 6-12 months then it needs touch up.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-26-2020, 06:16 AM   #26
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Convertible

Garage List
Updated OP with photos of the job process. Will add more as they come
? hockenheim_m2
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #27
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I had Ceramic Pro Gold Package done on my BRZ.

Is it as good as PPF? No.

Is it better than no PPF? HELL YES

What i noticed is that since i got the Gold Package, the extra layers of 9h allowed for a little bit more leeway when it came to rock chips. Sure the car still got them. but if i compared my BRZ to my S2000 (which has zero protection) you can see literal craters in my paint on the S2000. In the BRZ the most i would get are small scratches in the Ceramic Coating it self which would go away with a bit of polish. Sure there were chunks on the bottom of the bumper, but for the most part it wasnt actually that bad.

Ceramic Pro will never offer the same protection as PPF, however if you want your whole car covered, Ceramic Pro is going to be the more cost effective option. Not to mention you get to maintain the glossy sheen for a long time as well as being able to avoid swirls and minor scratches in your paint from improper washing. I remember i could use a wet microfiber towel to remove some bird crap and it wouldnt leave any sort of swirls or scratches.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #28
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I had Ceramic Pro Gold Package done on my BRZ.

Is it as good as PPF? No.

Is it better than no PPF? HELL YES

What i noticed is that since i got the Gold Package, the extra layers of 9h allowed for a little bit more leeway when it came to rock chips. Sure the car still got them. but if i compared my BRZ to my S2000 (which has zero protection) you can see literal craters in my paint on the S2000. In the BRZ the most i would get are small scratches in the Ceramic Coating it self which would go away with a bit of polish. Sure there were chunks on the bottom of the bumper, but for the most part it wasnt actually that bad.

Ceramic Pro will never offer the same protection as PPF, however if you want your whole car covered, Ceramic Pro is going to be the more cost effective option. Not to mention you get to maintain the glossy sheen for a long time as well as being able to avoid swirls and minor scratches in your paint from improper washing. I remember i could use a wet microfiber towel to remove some bird crap and it wouldnt leave any sort of swirls or scratches.
Lol someone fell for the CP marketing big time
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #29
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Not the person you quoted; and I haven't seen much if any CP "marketing"

What I have seen is after having it on my cars the past few years, I can't imagine not having it. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #30
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Quote:
Not the person you quoted; and I haven't seen much if any CP "marketing"

What I have seen is after having it on my cars the past few years, I can't imagine not having it. YMMV
I should have specified regarding the chip protection and "9H"

No ceramic coating provides protection from chips and 9H is a buzz word often thrown around
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #31
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
None of this is marketing, this was all from my own personal experience. The BRZ is a low car, and mine was even lower since it was on coils. The amount of chips i've gotten in my S2000 in a years worth of ownership compared to the chips i got from 2 years of ownership on the BRZ is vastly different. The BRZ hood and front fenders are practically ding free. My S2000 hood has huge gashes and the fenders have their fair share of chips and scratches.

Again i would never presume to claim that CP is better than PPF or even equal to. But its significantly better than no protection at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #32
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:

No ceramic coating provides protection from chips and 9H is a buzz word often thrown around
Have you ever tried to drive your car without even a coat of wax? You probably havnt because thats a bad idea. Wax in itself already offers protection from dirt and grit blasting your bumper. Ceramic Coating is just a slightly stronger version of that and at the end of the day its another layer on top of your clearcoat. Is t going to protect against a legit rock? No of course not. But its better than nothing at all while adding some other side benefits.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #33
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Quote:

Have you ever tried to drive your car without even a coat of wax? You probably havnt because thats a bad idea. Wax in itself already offers protection from dirt and grit blasting your bumper. Ceramic Coating is just a slightly stronger version of that and at the end of the day its another layer on top of your clearcoat. Is t going to protect against a legit rock? No of course not. But its better than nothing at all while adding some other side benefits.
My car is ceramic coated. I know the benefits of it. But many companies prey on the uninformed and try to promote chip protection and 9H hardness rating. Both of which are irrelevant for ceramic coating. That's what I'm trying to get at
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #34
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My car is ceramic coated. I know the benefits of it. But many companies prey on the uninformed and try to promote chip protection and 9H hardness rating. Both of which are irrelevant for ceramic coating. That's what I'm trying to get at
I mean all i know is the experience that i had. So for me it was worth every penny and a better bang for my buck than PPF.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #35
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

PPF and then ceramic coating. I can tell you this, you can definitely overpay for paint coatings... the disparity in pricing is massive and usually has no correlation to quality of products or labor. I paid $700 for my 2018 M3 and it lasted longer and looked much better than a $1500 job for my 2015 M3 three years earlier. Make sure you find someone you can trust that has a good reputation if possible.

Also, I would definitely do it for the right price on H/S otherwise it will look dull after awhile. However, done properly a good ceramic coating will really make it pop and look glossy for much longer.
243Racing1447.50
      02-28-2020, 12:21 AM   #36
TonyL128
BMW Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i coupe

I have a '19 HS purchased 12/18. Had Xpel full front and CP the whole car. Mine is not a DD, but a track/weekend car. Today it only have 6K miles and it's still glossy and shiny. The best thing is, it's a breeze to clean after a long track weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #37
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
OP updated with finished photos
? hockenheim_m2
Appreciate 1
Oeguy13.50
      03-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #38
Oeguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Grey 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011M3V8 View Post
OP updated with finished photos
I have all my cars ceramic coated and I can echo some of the comments already said and it is much easier to clean and dry the car. There is a permanent wet look to the flawless now flawless finish and of course PPF is a must.
Here in Ontario Canada I use GTA in Detail for all my paintwork prep and coating using only Cquartz finest and Advanced Automotive Films for all my PPF in my case Xoel Ultimate The results have always been flawless and PPF seamless.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 10:14 PM   #39
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I thought I would provide an update for the folks here.

I had my car washed for the first time since having the ceramic coating applied over 1 month ago.

After spraying the car down with just water from a pressure washer, the car looked as if it had been professionally detailed. If this continues over the years and actually holds up, this is impressive.

I had my new X5 coated as well. Ceramic Pro Silver Package. I hope this post is helpful to others.

Take care
Attached Images

? hockenheim_m2
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #40
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Xpel Ultimate Plus and Nanolex Si3D HD

Another M2C wearing Xpel Ultimate Plus and Nanolex Si3D HD