BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA > prospective owner 2018 OG -- from B7 RS4

11-09-2021, 11:15 PM   #1
othatseric
Rep
Drives: BMW E30; Audi B7 RS4

prospective owner 2018 OG -- from B7 RS4

Hi All!

I'm looking to take on an m2 sometime next year and come back to the BMW fam after a hiatus... I daily an Audi(gasp) B7 RS4 at the moment and is my only car to use year round. Just wanted to get a some info from other owners -- stuff to look out for, stuff to read up on etc etc..

Not sure if its going to be modified or kept stock yet -- maybe just a BM3 stage 1? Most likely a oem+, we'll see

I'm definitely not a stranger to diy stuff -- i've owned a few other BMWs in the past so i'm familiar with the ecosystem..

thanks!

E
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:52 AM   #2
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

do it, highly enjoyable and much more "dynamic" car than the RS4 - very playful due to short wheelbase, the V8 in the RS4 will be hard to beat though.

Just check for oil leaks around oil filter housing gasket as well as valve cover gasket, and ensure its been serviced preferably more frequently than the book services.

Other than that they are a fairly reliable car and platform. BM3 is fantastic - if youre going to do downpipe for sound you may as well get an interncooler and go Stage 2 for not much extra spend.

enjoy - they are great cars (PS i ve had both an M2C and OG and honestly feel the OG is a better daily unless you track your car.
      11-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Recovering RS4 owner here, AMA ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #4
othatseric
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
Recovering RS4 owner here, AMA ;-)
I haven't had a chance to drive a manual m2, how does the shifter and clutch differ from the rs4? I personally like to throw and feel of the rs4 and the clutch is well... meh. Is there a real need to throw in a dssr or a different lever or whatever?

also how is the warm up time on the oil? My rs4 takes about ~15 minutes of cruising until its up to temp. I basically want to avoid arriving @ work without bringing it to operating temp. Rod bearing ptsd (: lol
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 08:50 PM   #5
othatseric
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
do it, highly enjoyable and much more "dynamic" car than the RS4 - very playful due to short wheelbase, the V8 in the RS4 will be hard to beat though.

Just check for oil leaks around oil filter housing gasket as well as valve cover gasket, and ensure its been serviced preferably more frequently than the book services.

Other than that they are a fairly reliable car and platform. BM3 is fantastic - if youre going to do downpipe for sound you may as well get an interncooler and go Stage 2 for not much extra spend.

enjoy - they are great cars (PS i ve had both an M2C and OG and honestly feel the OG is a better daily unless you track your car.
thanks for the pointers!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:08 PM   #6
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by othatseric View Post
I haven't had a chance to drive a manual m2, how does the shifter and clutch differ from the rs4? I personally like to throw and feel of the rs4 and the clutch is well... meh. Is there a real need to throw in a dssr or a different lever or whatever?
stock shifter on the M2 is a bit rubbery, but an Autosolutions SSK fixes that. I had a JHM shifter on my RS4 though, and with the AS SSK, the M2 feels better.

Quote:
also how is the warm up time on the oil? My rs4 takes about ~15 minutes of cruising until its up to temp. I basically want to avoid arriving @ work without bringing it to operating temp. Rod bearing ptsd (: lol
M2 is slightly faster, but no oil temp reporting on the pre-LCI (16/17) cluster is a big disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 02:09 AM   #7
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

if you get the ///M LED Steering wheel you can see oil temp on that. Expensive solution though.
P3 Gauge also another good option
      11-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
othatseric
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
stock shifter on the M2 is a bit rubbery, but an Autosolutions SSK fixes that. I had a JHM shifter on my RS4 though, and with the AS SSK, the M2 feels better.

M2 is slightly faster, but no oil temp reporting on the pre-LCI (16/17) cluster is a big disappointment.
I read for the 2018 model that there was an oil temp reading out but you had to cycle through the menu... is it possible to have it up at start up?

I guess ill start composing a shopping list lol...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by othatseric View Post
I read for the 2018 model that there was an oil temp reading out but you had to cycle through the menu... is it possible to have it up at start up?

I guess ill start composing a shopping list lol...
I believe it will remember the last menu position at startup

there's also 3rd party options like a P3 vent display that can pull the reading from ODB and show it
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #10
Rainey94
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Oil Temp is the first thing I flip to every time I get in the car (2018 LCI), I have only owned the car for a few weeks and it has already become muscle memory. CDV removal is a must imho if you are going Manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #11
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

Oil temp with P3 gauge I love it and would recommend. I hated changing it every time i get in the car.

The shifter feel is good and I don't think I would change it. I haven't driven audis recently but I would say it feels similar to the MK7 GTI I had in terms of shifter and clutch feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #12
othatseric
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey94 View Post
Oil Temp is the first thing I flip to every time I get in the car (2018 LCI), I have only owned the car for a few weeks and it has already become muscle memory. CDV removal is a must imho if you are going Manual.
thanks for the tip
Appreciate 0