BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Non-dealer service close to DC/Bethesda

11-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Non-dealer service close to DC/Bethesda

My OG M2 is out of warranty so I'm trying to figure out where to go regularly for service that's not the dealer. I'd used J&F off and on with my E30 and went there for my last oil change, but I live in DC and work in Bethesda, so Arlington just isn't very convenient for me.

I've used Dan Martin once or twice, again when I had my E30, so he'd be in play, and I saw a recommendation for AKTIV in Gaithersburg. Anyone have a preference between those two or any other recommendations? Specifically I'm thinking of who's best to maintain/repair a newer BMW vs, you know, an E30.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
No responses. Not much but I'll tell you my experiences.

The only non-dealer I have used for service so far is https://www.bmwexcluservice.com/ (no affiliation) in Rockville. All I had them do was an alignment and this was done reasonably and on time as promised. The tech was able to educate me on an unusual tire wear pattern and the owner and service advisor are willing to spend time and discuss issues/answer questions.

Since I too am looking for a company to work with, I hung around and asked a couple of other bimmer drivers what their experiences had been and how long they had been using them. Both people that I asked had positive comments and indicated 2-3+ years.

I attended a cars & coffee / diy at AKTIV with the NCC BMW CCA a few years back. Small shop but the guys I spoke to at the time were knowledgeable, friendly & helpful. Have not had the occasion to use them to date.

Would love to hear your experiences if different or same.
Appreciate 1
mssVT98137.00
      11-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #3
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Thanks, I'm a little surprised too by the lack of responses. I know we have plenty of folks in MD here.

Regardless, my only experience with Excluservice was having them do a PPI on my wife's Mini, and I was happy with the service. I should probably keep them in consideration as well. All I need at the moment is an oil/brake fluid service, so maybe I'll just pick one and see how it goes. Will report back once it's done.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 10:19 PM   #4
mat9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i

Have you tried S2 dynamics in Rockville? I've been pretty happy with them, they've quoted me lower prices than Aktiv consistently and they've tried to be attentive as much as workload allowed them. They're definitely busy most of the time.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 2
randyt224.50
mssVT98137.00
      11-23-2021, 05:49 PM   #5
RockChalkKU
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 LBB M2/'18 X3 M40i/'16 X5d

There is someone selling a Dinan turbo setup on the board and I asked him about a few local places. Let me find the post and I'll get those spots. He swore by them.

EDIT

His forum name is ZM2. "RRT in Dulles did the install, and TIER Car Care in Windsor Mill did the removal a few weeks ago. So, only the best guys in the DC area have touched it.

Tommy at TIER is also the lead skidpad instructor for BMW NCC and PCA Potomac HPDE. Super nice guy, and probably also your most cost effective option for install if you want a shop around here to handle it."
2010 BSM M5
2007 BSM 6mt M5
Appreciate 1
mssVT98137.00
      11-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Thanks for the additional suggestions. I ended up giving Activ a shot, but since this was such a minor service it was hard to get much of an impression. Only notable thing is that they were quick - I dropped the car off at 8am and got a call before noon saying it was done.

I think I might try to bounce around a little bit for similar service and see who I like. I'd like to eventually establish a relationship somewhere, but hopefully I have some time before I'd need to trust anyone with a major service or repair. I'll add S2 to my list to try as well. I'll try to remember to keep this thread updated with my experiences.

Would love to use RRT or TIER but they're both just too far for regular service. If I was looking at upgrades and/or needed serious advice I'd probably make the time for the trip.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

I agree that the "best place closest" to you is excluservice. They are long-time supporters of the BMW CCA NCC (national capital chapter) as well.