BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > DMV Winter Driving: Snow Tires or All-Season?

07-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
DougVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

DMV Winter Driving: Snow Tires or All-Season?

New M2C owner here - and BMW novice. Car came with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are not intended for use below 45 degrees.

Problem in the DMW, as you all know, is the schizophrenic winters. Wasn't like this in the 60s, when I was a kid, but it sure is now. Days and nights in the 20s and 30s, others in the 40s and 50s. And barely any snow.

Question is: change to snow tires (mid-November to late March?)? if so, the Michelin Pilot Alpins? Or sell the Michelin PSS and just go to All-Seasons year-around for our temperate climate? For the latter option, TireRack seems to suggest Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s, which certainly look good in Consumer Reports.

Welcome any and all thoughts from those of you who have already worked through this decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
It seems like the consensus around here is switch to winters so you can get the best of both worlds - tires that are designed to be their best in the seasons in which you use them. Personally, I'd never put all-seasons on an M2, it just seems like a waste.

You're exactly right that we don't need hardcore snows here, so I have exactly what you suggest - Pilot Alpins on Apex EC-7s for Thanksgiving-ish until it's consistently above 40 in the mornings. They're still just fine in dry, colder temps, and I have confidence knowing if I do get caught out in the snow or even just cold rain, I have the right tires for the job.

The only thing I'd change is that I'd go with a wider square setup (I got 18x9s all around) so that the wheels could be useful as a track setup if I ever decided I didn't need a winter set. It's not like I need to worry about the narrower tires for tracking through deep snow or anything. That's what I have a 4runner for.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
swampfox94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 - M2 Competition

Garage List
I just kept my summers on the car since its garaged and I don't daily. Like you said winters here are inconsistent so I just didn't drive it if it was under the 35-40 range. That being said if this was my daily or I had to drive in winter I'd definitely go with a dedicated winter set up since the PSS are such a big upgrade to any all seasons
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #4
rns294
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I had winters on a previous RWD sports car in the area. Not needed if you have another car that can be driven on the cold days, but I'd recommend them if this is your daily.

I had Yokohama Iceguards and they were meh. I've heard really good things about Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakkapeliittas.

Like the other person said, a narrower, taller sidewall tire is probably not needed here since you likely won't be trekking through deep snow.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
Yetti
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2020 RAM 1500  [0.00]
2003 BMW 330Ci  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Good answers so far. Unless you can avoid driving when it's cold out, get a set of dedicated winter tires. The all season option will leave you disappointed year round. They are not good in the snow and they are no where near as great as your stock summers when it's hot outside.

I'm looking at getting a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's in 255/35R19 all around. My area tends to get more snow that the DC area and the Hakka's are great in snow. Blizzaks are always a good option and I've had good experience with Continental VikingContacts, I just haven't looked if either of these come in sizes that will work for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 04:52 AM   #6
DougVA
Private
Rep

Many thanks to all for your wise counsel and suggestions. I'll definitely go with winters Thanksgiving-ish.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #7
Krombopulous
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is going to be a hot take, but on my Fiesta ST and Mustang I always had a set of "winter wheels" that were all season tires since I ran summer tires on those.

The summer tires can't be used below 45, but true winter tires shouldn't be used above 45 degrees. Here in Virginia our winters pretty frequently have days above 50. Since we have very little snow I just always had all season tires. My Fiesta could get up to Snowshoe no problem on some touring all season tires (which were also fun to light up lol)

For the M2 though I'm not going to do that though, I just won't drive it in the cold of winter.

But if you wanted to get a set of winter tires I saw these listed https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1766531
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #8
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVA View Post
Many thanks to all for your wise counsel and suggestions. I'll definitely go with winters Thanksgiving-ish.
This is what I did, as well. Planning to put on at/around Thanksgiving break and keep on until March-ish. Don't expect a ton of snow, and if there is, I won't drive it, but will make me feel better about taking the car somewhere and not having to worry about remembering to check the weather. Cost about $2k to buy and mount/balance on an existing set of rims though, even using tire rack, so I did consider the all-season route for a hot minute because this thing is getting expensive.

Cold weather Tires, spare wheels, PPF, ceramic. Probably in it for $7k on top of the purchase of the car.
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:51 PM   #9
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Cold weather tire setup

Reviving this discussion (maybe). Please note that my comments are in regards to COLD WEATHER, but not snow use. So, I'm not talking about driving on ice/snow/slush/mud/ puppies. Just cold weather (45°F to well below freezing). And this is for only the cold part of the year. Will keep a set of wheels with summer tires.

I drove my Supra year round and while I could mostly get away with it, it was zero fun below freezing. So, I plan to get a second set of wheels and tires for winter and am planning to go with all seasons. I've read comments that these disappoint in all conditions, but these seem to be comments that presume driving on snow or slush, which I won't be doing.

To enjoy my M2C year round (apart from freezing precipitation days), I'm planning on running all seasons from Novemberish to March or April. I ran Pilot Sport All Season 4s on my F22 and was pleased. I was wondering if anyone has run performance all season on their M2s and if you have comments you'd be willing to post here. Is it worth going with a size different from stock to offset some of the lateral grip?

Again, not looking to drive on ice or snow so not looking at a strictly winter tire. In Northern Va. Your thoughts are welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #10
Krombopulous
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Reviving this discussion (maybe). Please note that my comments are in regards to COLD WEATHER, but not snow use. So, I'm not talking about driving on ice/snow/slush/mud/ puppies. Just cold weather (45°F to well below freezing). And this is for only the cold part of the year. Will keep a set of wheels with summer tires.

I drove my Supra year round and while I could mostly get away with it, it was zero fun below freezing. So, I plan to get a second set of wheels and tires for winter and am planning to go with all seasons. I've read comments that these disappoint in all conditions, but these seem to be comments that presume driving on snow or slush, which I won't be doing.

To enjoy my M2C year round (apart from freezing precipitation days), I'm planning on running all seasons from Novemberish to March or April. I ran Pilot Sport All Season 4s on my F22 and was pleased. I was wondering if anyone has run performance all season on their M2s and if you have comments you'd be willing to post here. Is it worth going with a size different from stock to offset some of the lateral grip?

Again, not looking to drive on ice or snow so not looking at a strictly winter tire. In Northern Va. Your thoughts are welcomed.
Yeah I did exactly that for driving through the winter in central virginia because for a couple months last fall-winter it was my only car (was waiting on a new truck to arrive, sold the old one too hastily).

I ran a different size not for lateral grip, but for tire availability. I couldn't find anything in our OEM size when I was looking, and I was buying used like a cheap skate.
Normally I just throw a set of all seasons on a different set of wheel, but this was no mustang or fiesta st I was buying wheels for, so finding a set was tough.

I ran 255/35/19 front (Some Coopers, like RS3G1 or something) and 275/35/19 rear (Nexen N5000). Much better tire availability.
No rubbing or anything from that. I doubt the +10mm width really made any performance difference compared to changing compounds. Performance is not going to impress you, they're hard and loud but at least I can drive when it's cold.

Between travelling and life I'm actually only just this week swapping back to the summer Michelins when it goes in for the annual oil change.

If you're looking at Michelin PS4 all seasons I'll say you might be surprised by their performance for an all season. I just drove a C8 corvette on the track in stock form on those tires and I couldn't believe they were all seasons, much better than I expected.
Appreciate 1
H2O_Doc512.50