BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > COVID-19 therapy: a long drive in our cars is just what the doctor orders!

03-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #111
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcar55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Feel free to post those in dedicated threads in the politics section (for example here).
Oh god there's a politics section. Not touching that with a ten foot pole.
I went there once.....once.
Tag18149.00
      03-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #112
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcar55 View Post
Quote:
Feel free to post those in dedicated threads in the politics section (for example here).
Oh god there's a politics section. Not touching that with a ten foot pole.
Exactly...I come to Bimmerpost to get away from that kind of BS and have a little fun with car talk.

So thanks to all of you for being a part of this tiny corner of the internet
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #113
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Wide open, empty roads are fun but hopefully, soon there's a breakthrough, so we can resume to some normalcy and get back to the regularly scheduled BMW news..
Name:  01585088698.jpeg
Views: 542
Size:  496.8 KB
Appreciate 2
flybigjet6822.00
ASAP10161.00
      03-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #114
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Wide open, empty roads are fun but hopefully, soon there's a breakthrough, so we can resume to some normalcy and get back to the regularly scheduled BMW news...
Optimism is a moral duty.

Name:  ChuckNorris_Corona.jpeg
Views: 805
Size:  83.7 KB
FreeDarko217.00
natmad667.00
      03-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #115
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep

One downside to the traffic free roads that I've seen the last few days here in Denver: the fuzz is picking people off everywhere.

Open road means everyone is speeding. Watch your wallet folks!
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
Kankles1484.50
      03-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #116
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
One downside to the traffic free roads that I've seen the last few days here in Denver: the fuzz is picking people off everywhere.
In Spain you get a fine just for going for a drive. Travel is limited to what is necessary and you are not even allowed to have any passengers with you. If you are caught going to a supermarket further away than the closest one, expect a fine.

So enjoy the roads while you can. The way the USA is treating this I am afraid you guys are in for a rude couple months while the government over reacts in a panic to limit the spread which they are already late in doing.

This virus is serious. My family in Madrid (a harder hit area) tells me the morgues are at capacity and they are now using an ice rink to store the bodies.

Everyone is getting cremated, no ifs and or buts. No one is allowed to pay their respects as the body is still contagious. My Aunt said her friend's father got sick went to the hospital, passed away, and was returned in an Urn. No chance to see him once he went to hospital as obviously they do not want people going in who may get infected and will only get in the way of medical personnel.

Hotels and convention centers are being transformed into triage centers. People are making home made PPE and equipment for medical personnel. It is a crazy situation.

Spain has world class medicine, universal healthcare, and started a strict lock down roughly 3 weeks ago. If they are in this shape I can only imagine what some more lax countries are going to experience.
      03-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #117
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

In the UK they've also banned simply going for a drive / ride too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:59 AM   #118
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
In Spain you get a fine just for going for a drive. Travel is limited to what is necessary and you are not even allowed to have any passengers with you. If you are caught going to a supermarket further away than the closest one, expect a fine.
So enjoy the roads while you can. The way the USA is treating this I am afraid you guys are in for a rude couple months while the government over reacts in a panic to limit the spread which they are already late in doing.
This virus is serious. My family in Madrid (a harder hit area) tells me the morgues are at capacity and they are now using an ice rink to store the bodies.
Everyone is getting cremated, no ifs and or buts. No one is allowed to pay their respects as the body is still contagious. My Aunt said her friend's father got sick went to the hospital, passed away, and was returned in an Urn. No chance to see him once he went to hospital as obviously they do not want people going in who may get infected and will only get in the way of medical personnel.
Hotels and convention centers are being transformed into triage centers. People are making home made PPE and equipment for medical personnel. It is a crazy situation.
Spain has world class medicine, universal healthcare, and started a strict lock down roughly 3 weeks ago. If they are in this shape I can only imagine what some more lax countries are going to experience.
Wow that is so heartbreaking to hear. Thoughts are definitely with Spain.

And I hope the US would overreact and take more aggressive approach. In fact, it may just be the opposite where the president is thinking of reopening the country in a few weeks...smh. The US well soon become the epicenter of this crisis and it's not a matter of if, but when we will face the same heartbreaking actions Spain has experienced.
      03-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #119
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Wow that is so heartbreaking to hear. Thoughts are definitely with Spain.
And I hope the US would overreact and take more aggressive approach. In fact, it may just be the opposite where the president is thinking of reopening the country in a few weeks...smh. The US well soon become the epicenter of this crisis and it's not a matter of if, but when we will face the same heartbreaking actions Spain has experienced.
Agree, thoughts are with Spain...and all countries fighting this.

Also agree that it makes no sense for our president to open up the country in 2 weeks. The problem is not going to disappear by then. Thankfully state and local officials have taken the lead in many areas and place a priority on the health of the people, rather than the markets and economy like the president appears to be doing.

What I worry about are the other state and local areas that are not being aggressive...I think they are setting themselves up for a very serious problem as has been described in Spain, Italy, etc. Ignorance is going to cause a lot of death and heartache...
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      03-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #120
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think the M2 manual is quite good. Many people have complained that it shifts stiff or rubbery but a lot of that is because they're new. My car now has almost 17k miles on it. The shifting has broken in nicely.
Appreciate 3
JCZ51482.50
Kankles1484.50
      03-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #121
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Appreciate 2
MMMBRAP975.50
Supernaut391.00
      03-25-2020, 10:21 PM   #122
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Tonight I'm thinking about how fun it is to get the M2 to 80mph in 3rd gear. Hope to do it again some day.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 12:59 AM   #123
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
What I worry about are the other state and local areas that are not being aggressive...I think they are setting themselves up for a very serious problem as has been described in Spain, Italy, etc. Ignorance is going to cause a lot of death and heartache...
Belgium went into 'lockdown light' on Friday March 13, 2020 at midnight. As this measure was announced the day before, several bars quickly threw "lockdown parties" to "celebrate" the final moments before entering into lockdown (midnight). Many doctors criticized those lockdown parties as outright reckless and irresponsible.

Yesterday, the Belgian leading virologist confirmed that, among young people hanging on ventilators in intensive care units as we speak, effectively some had participated to lockdown parties. He emphasized that COVID-19 ain't no video game - it's definitely capable of killing people.
Supernaut391.00
      03-26-2020, 01:30 AM   #124
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Yesterday, the Belgian leading virologist confirmed that, among young people hanging on ventilators in intensive care units as we speak, effectively some had participated to lockdown parties.
That's ironic but at least now he can be used as a martyr, to scare the rest of the youths into submission, whom feel they're invincible to the virus.

Here in the US, DisneyLand in Florida was criticize for the same reason, which had three last days of Corona celebration and fireworks display, before officially shuttering. Some felt that move was irresponsible and they should of close immediately.

This situation gets more dire by the day and I bet you my last five rolls of toilette paper that it will unfortunately loom into the summertime.

So much for BMW & other auto manufactures resuming business as usual, not that's a priority to those in suffering.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 01:45 AM   #125
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
it will unfortunately loom into the summertime.
« One person who is not easing back is Fauci. If it were up to him, an official said, "there would be no contact between humans until July." »
(source: here)
      03-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #126
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Politically related posts removed. This is the last warning to please take it to the Politics section. Further violations will result in warnings/infractions.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 5
alan7467128.00
Karmic Man1996.00
pz6193278.50
Law6381.00
      03-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #127
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Finally got ol' girl out today after a week or so. Drove with my daughter a few KMs down to the beach, was was pretty much deserted...as were the roads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      03-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #128
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Bet I'm not the only one wishing they didn't take the antibiotics out of our damn chicken now lol.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #129
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I went there once.....once.
I went over to the M3/M4 General section once. It was weird.

Every thread was either:

1.) Should I get this M3/M4?
2.) Should I get these wheels?
3.) Accident ya'll.
4.) Can I get 1000BHP if I buy these cheap parts?
5.) Build Thread.
6.) Build Thread.
7.) Build Thread.
8.) Should I get this M3/M4?
Appreciate 1
Tag18149.00
      03-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #130
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
I went over to the M3/M4 General section once. It was weird.

Every thread was either:

1.) Should I get this M3/M4?
2.) Should I get these wheels?
3.) Accident ya'll.
4.) Can I get 1000BHP if I buy these cheap parts?
5.) Build Thread.
6.) Build Thread.
7.) Build Thread.
8.) Should I get this M3/M4?
Which is how it should be
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #131
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Why are people banned from going for a drive? Are they worried about accidents and strain on people needing to be in the hospital? Otherwise, a person in a car going out for a drive seems like a good way to relieve stress and certainly isn't hurting or exposing anyone to the virus.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #132
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroglava View Post
Why are people banned from going for a drive? Are they worried about accidents and strain on people needing to be in the hospital? Otherwise, a person in a car going out for a drive seems like a good way to relieve stress and certainly isn't hurting or exposing anyone to the virus.
Well, its not that, but probably how do you differentiate someone who is simply going for a drive versus someone who shouldn't be out (sick) or someone headed out for non-essential purposes and will make stops in places? I think these blanket laws are intended to make people stay at home and minimize contact with the outside. If we literally enforce a curfew for a few weeks, we can mitigate this shit
Appreciate 0