BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > 853 Miles and Engine Replaced - Flutter/Shudder Noise During Acceleration

05-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
FCTrs4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3

853 Miles and Engine Replaced - Flutter/Shudder Noise During Acceleration

Hello all. Hoping you guys can give me some advice and insight.

My m2 comp has 853 miles and, a week a go, I had the windows down and heard a fluttering/shuddering type noise coming from the front. The flutter/shudder noise is apparent at lower speeds (between 30 to 40 mph) and only while accelerating. If I had to describe the noise it sounds like a rubber flap was loose and the wind going through causes a sort of shudder sound.

There does not seem to be any loss of power and no codes have popped up. I took my car to BMW to have it checked out and get the run-in service done. The shop foreman was able to replicate the sound and has been in contact with BMW Engineering. I was initially told there was some sort of leak in the exhaust system. However, after discussions with BMW Engineering they ordered and replaced the Vanos units on the exhaust side, exhaust camshaft lifters, and exhaust camshaft bearings.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else experienced any issues similar??

Thanks!!

Last edited by FCTrs4; 05-22-2020 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCTrs4 View Post
Hello all. Hoping you guys can give me some advice and insight.

My m2 comp has 853 miles and, a week a go, I had the windows down and heard a shuddering type noise coming from the front. The shudder noise is apparent at lower speeds (between 30 to 40 mph) and only while accelerating. If I had to describe the noise it sounds like a rubber flap was loose and the wind going through causes a sort of shudder sound.

There does not seem to be any loss of power and no codes have popped up. I took my car to BMW to have it checked out and get the run-in service done. The shop foreman was able to replicate the sound and has been in contact with BMW Engineering. I was initially told there was some sort of leak in the exhaust system. However, after discussions with BMW Engineering they ordered and replaced the Vanos units on the exhaust side, exhaust camshaft lifters, and exhaust camshaft bearings.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else experienced any issues similar??

Thanks!!
Difficult to speculate based on the info you know now. If it goes away after this then I guess we’ll have an answer and more knowledge to add to the group.

Please update us with results!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
FCTrs4
Private First Class
Rep

Update: my CA called me this morning to say BMW authorized an engine replacement. Engine should be here soon. Did not see that coming.
Appreciate 1
jkoral1023.50
      05-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #4
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Update: my CA called me this morning to say BMW authorized an engine replacement. Engine should be here soon. Did not see that coming.
That's insane. Can you share the details as to what happened?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

woah! what happened?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
FCTrs4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
That's insane. Can you share the details as to what happened?
My CA called me on Wednesday to let me know that my car was ready to be picked. The tech reported that the noise was no longer present. When I went to pick up my car, I had a nice discussion with the tech. When I asked what exactly was the problem, he told me there was an issue with Cylinder 1 and the crankshaft. Cylinder 1 was misfiring, but it was not throwing a code and was not causing the car to lose power or drive impaired. He said they tried to isolate the issue, but were just guessing to try and fix the problem. Bmw, instead of throwing a bunch of parts at the engine, opted to replace the engine.

Since I picked up the car, I haven't heard the fluttering noise, but I haven't really driven the car much. I'm hoping everything is good now - definitely don't want to have bring the car back to the dealer again.
Appreciate 3
      05-23-2020, 02:45 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

A new engine for a misfire on no1?

Woh how bad are techs these days?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:52 AM   #8
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

It's almost as if mistakes happen and nothing can ever be 100%. That's why warranties exist.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:00 AM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

God damn that sucks, glad you are getting the motor replaced on the first try without having to go back and forth and fight with these techs.
      05-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #10
FCTrs4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

The tech was getting guidance from BMW engineering, and BMW engineering wasn't sure what the cause of the misfire was. Instead of throwing tons of parts at the engine to try and fix, BMW authorized a full engine replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:10 AM   #11
FCTrs4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
God damn that sucks, glad you are getting the motor replaced on the first try without having to go back and forth and fight with these techs.
Yeah that's definitely the silver lining. Put 50 miles on her today and no noise so that's great.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:18 AM   #12
JggyM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that's definitely the silver lining. Put 50 miles on her today and no noise so that's great.
definitely keep us in the loop. In case someone else experiences this, very helpful to keep this thread going. BMW probably just didn't want to deal with this. Engine replacement is better and they can remove your old engine and do quality review at their pace.
      05-24-2020, 12:19 AM   #13
FCTrs4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JggyM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
definitely keep us in the loop. In case someone else experiences this, very helpful to keep this thread going. BMW probably just didn't want to deal with this. Engine replacement is better and they can remove your old engine and do quality review at their pace.
Definitely will!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:22 AM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Good to hear!