BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Diverter Valve Upgrade Chuchuchu

04-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Wondering who sells the VR11 in the US? It seems you can't buy it directly from Turbosmart, you have to buy it from a distributor...
Wait, there is an add to cart option though, just not sure if everyone can make an account.
https://www.turbosmart.com/product/k...r2-plumb-back/

VTT sells the VR1 model, maybe ask them if they can stock the VR11.
dtmurf477.00
      04-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Wait, there is an add to cart option though, just not sure if everyone can make an account.
https://www.turbosmart.com/product/k...r2-plumb-back/

VTT sells the VR1 model, maybe ask them if they can stock the VR11.
They do have a cart option but when you go to check out, you can't enter a US billing or shipping address. I called them and they said order from one of our distributors, the web site is for other countries.

VTT don't have it in stock but they'll order so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
      04-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
They do have a cart option but when you go to check out, you can't enter a US billing or shipping address. I called them and they said order from one of our distributors, the web site is for other countries.

VTT don't have it in stock but they'll order so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
No problem! I hope you manage to get one.
      04-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #26
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:

I ordered mine through TougeFactory If you need a US shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #27
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

It took a few weeks (maybe lockdown related?), but I think Mike at XPH has these on hand now. Mine just shipped at a good price.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #28
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
It took a few weeks (maybe lockdown related?), but I think Mike at XPH has these on hand now. Mine just shipped at a good price.
Just arrived.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
PLF693762.50
F87source7177.50
      04-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #29
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Just arrived.
Logs!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #30
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Logs!
Logs tell me it’s not working while sitting on my desk.

We’re still in shutdown mode here, so it’ll be a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 10:19 PM   #31
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I was able to order off their website. Will give it a go when it comes in. My M2 boost flutters badly at WOT. Can even feel it throbbing acceleration when doing a pull 0-200km. Might be my elevation of 3200 feet also an issue. But I’ll try this to see if it helps the issue. I’m sure it’ll be a few weeks for shipping right now. I have logs and have posted them before in the forum. Will log it again after installation to see how it affects things.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:31 PM   #32
m2rs4_official
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattens View Post
Hey guys,

I've mentioned this product once before in a thread while replying to someone about changing their coolant. But I've now had this installed on my M2 since Mid September and it's been working great so thought others here would like to hear my successful experience of having used the Turbosmart Kompact EM VR11 Diverter Valve (In Australia we call them blow-off valves, but seeing the M2 forum seems to be mostly Americans and Brits, I'd change my terminology lol).

The VR11 diverter valve has been working flawlessly. My car was completely stock apart from a BMS Air Intake when I had the Turbosmart VR11 installed.

I wasn't expecting any sort of power increase but according to the dyno run on the same fuel on different days at similar temperatures (two dyno runs a week apart, both runs at lunch time on the same hub dyno) before the VR11 was installed the average run (3 runs) was 233rwkw and 481nm with a max 12.70psi boost. after the VR11 diverter valve was installed, max power average was 245rwkw and 498nm with 13.40psi boost.

Basically the OEM DV had a tiny boost leak as the plastic construction of the OEM valve can never fully seal (but it does a good enough job most of the time), the Turbosmart product seals properly and doesn't let any unwanted boost leak.

This is on car running stock boost, I could only imagine the leak would get worse when the boost is turned up (ecu tuned).

I had ADVAN Performance at Auburn installed it but watching them do it, I could have done it myself, it was just 3 bolts and the plug fits the OEM harness. I haven't had a single error code on the car since owning it (owned the car now for 7 months), it's done around 10,000km daily driver and spirited country driving (no track days yet). Makes a great induction pressure "CHHHHHHHHHH" sound when you let off the accelerator quickly.

Link to the product I got. They have a plumbed back (quieter) version, but I mostly wanted the noise.
https://www.turbosmart.com/product/k...vr2-dual-port/

I've got videos of the sound it makes but I've no idea how to post videos lol.

I did try another DV fix, but that just performed worse than stock.

I've got catless DP, metal charge pipes and intercooler waiting to go on and will see how it performs with stage 2 tune and will update here once done.

I hope my feedback of this product helps someone here.
I've learnt most of what I know about my M2 from the forums, so I'm just trying to contribute.
ooooh baby... we got the same BOV. Just fitted mine on my upgraded Pure Turbo Stage 2. Had issues with my previous DV+ upgrade due to a slight tear in the stock DV diaphragm. How are you enjoying your TS? I concur its a tad quite but pretty good I must say.

Proud owner of Amelia & Rae. Yes, I named my vehicles
2018 BMW M2 LCI (Wedge Performance Tuned + Pure Turbo Stg 2 Upgrade)
2019 Audi RS4 Advant
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #33
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Tempted by the Turbosmart but concerned about the servicing - Turbosmart recommend it every 6 months!!! (taken from here: https://www.turbosmart.com/news/look...ur-bov-or-bpv/) and there are posts on other marque's forums where people have had to service their Turbosmart DV to stop it sticking.

Given the major PITA it is to get at on the N55, this is not good.

GFB reckon their DV+ gets enough oil for operation from the oil mist in the released air, but I have seen posts on other forums of people having sticking issues (but I believe that the majority are fine).

I do wonder if a Turbosmart with a slightly heavier oil (e.g. like our engine oil at 0w30, or 0w40) would be thin enough for correct operation of the piston, but heavy enough to not need servicing very often (as the oil won't burn off).

Anyone tried a heavy oil than Turbosmart's multi oil?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:49 PM   #34
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Tempted by the Turbosmart but concerned about the servicing - Turbosmart recommend it every 6 months!!! (taken from here: https://www.turbosmart.com/news/look...ur-bov-or-bpv/) and there are posts on other marque's forums where people have had to service their Turbosmart DV to stop it sticking.

GFB reckon their DV+ gets enough oil for operation from the oil mist in the released air, but I have seen posts on other forums of people having sticking issues (but I believe that the majority are fine).

I do wonder if a Turbosmart with a slightly heavier oil (e.g. like our engine oil at 0w30, or 0w40) would be thin enough for correct operation of the piston, but heavy enough to not need servicing very often (as the oil won't burn off).

That does not apply to the F30 version, it doesn’t event have an open top.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #35
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post

That does not apply to the F30 version, it doesn’t event have an open top.
I contacted turbosmart - they said the following :

"If the product you purchase requires servicing, it will be advised in the product manual."

Their n55 dv instructions don't say anything about maintenance, so it must be fit and forget.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #36
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Mine just arrived today
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:10 AM   #37
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I got my Turbosmart mounted today on my M2. I lost nearly a 1/2 pint of blood in the process. It really is a tough job to get the 3 little bolts. Doesn’t help that I have fairly big arms, forearms and hands. I had to take many walks to reset and re-think my strategy. Followed the two vids on YouTube, they were a big help. I did it on my garage floor with ramps under the front wheels. Top bolt I actually turned from the top of car after I set the Allen key into the bolt from the bottom. It’s not a two beer job. This one deserves a full bottle of scotch.
Took it for test drive and it’s a lot louder than I had expected. No logs yet. But soon.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      05-16-2020, 05:16 AM   #38
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
So I got my Turbosmart mounted today on my M2. I lost nearly a 1/2 pint of blood in the process. It really is a tough job to get the 3 little bolts. Doesn’t help that I have fairly big arms, forearms and hands. I had to take many walks to reset and re-think my strategy. Followed the two vids on YouTube, they were a big help. I did it on my garage floor with ramps under the front wheels. Top bolt I actually turned from the top of car after I set the Allen key into the bolt from the bottom. It’s not a two beer job. This one deserves a full bottle of scotch.
Took it for test drive and it’s a lot louder than I had expected. No logs yet. But soon.
Did you get the vented or PB? I went with PB and it is dead quiet under normal load. When WOT it creates loud "surge". Sound almost like wind funneling through tunnel 300km/h sound. Hard to describe. Love it!

On second thought it might be the combination with aluminum piping.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #39
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I got the dual port vr11. Half vented to atmosphere and half into intake. Mine made whooshing turbine sounds before the bov just from the intake and solid piping. Now i get a very loud pressure release from the bov when I let off. Pssssshhhhhh.
The only Install issue I had is I could not position the valve with the plumb back vent facing the intake as the power wire would have squished up against that little curved oil line. Which would have made my hard job even harder. So I spun it around, like the guys in the Kies video, the power wire ended up pointing down towards me under the car. There is a channel all the way around to divert flow anyways. Also if anyone does this job, here is a really big helping hint on that top bolt:
Insert your Allen key and extension from the top front, rest it on top of the front top water pump mount (you can see this from the top once water pump is removed, you’ll see the top bracket with the empty bolt hole from the top rad side). I had to move I take and some oil cooler lines out of the way. Anyways, rest it there on water pump bracket and then go back under car to feed it into the bolt head using your one finger that can just barely reach the bolt head. Use other hand to hold the extension end that is sticking out between rad and water pump mount. This is really tight to do with both hands Into the car and your head will be in no position to even see what you are doing. Use the force. It’s all by feel.
Appreciate 3
Wattens59.00
Thevesh30.50
tenkies147.00
      05-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #40
Wattens
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2, 4C, Bentley GT

When people are referring to logs, what logs are they looking for? Is it the boost pressure target vs actual comparison? I've been running BM3 stage 2 for a couple of months now and the turbosmart bov since last September and all is going well.

I've got some logs from BM3 but not sure which logs would be related to the BOV performance?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #41
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Do a fresh log. I use 3rd gear on Dct with dsc full off, start logging at 2500rpm. And floor it all the way to redline in 4th. Then once you save log, I look at boost target vs actual. Also I look for knocks. So I usually shut off most of the lines when looking at logs as the graph is cluttered. I leave fuel on as well to ensure my pump is keeping up. Anyways that’s what I do, but I’m just a diy guy. Not a pro. Once you shut a bunch of lines off and simplify the chart then it makes more sense. Also stretching the chart timeline out helps Spread things out.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #42
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

I just had my Turbosmart VR11 Plumb back installed today along with a Pure high flow inlet pipe. I was able to drive the car on the highway and on regular roads for about an hour after install. I am pretty much full bolt on with the exception of an upgraded turbo.

2018 M2 LCI Manual Trans
BM3 Stage 2 93 oct
AA Catless turbo back signature exhaust
VRSF Charge pipe
Eventuri V2 air intake
Wagner EVO Comp 2 IC

I was noticing some turbo lag with the above setup before installing the VR11 and after following this thread and a few older ones I thought it was worth a shot to see if it would help with responsiveness.

There is definitely a change in the throttle responsiveness when applying throttle at various RPM's and even between shifts. I was setting myself up for disappointment and was pleasantly surprised at how the car delivers power after installing. I am assuming the VR11 is responsible for more of these changes than the inlet pipe, but as I said they were installed at the same time. FYI my stock DV didn't seem damaged in any way, but I am pretty sure it wasn't holding boost properly with the Stage 2 setup I am running.
Appreciate 2
ZM22785.00
widetyres279.00
      05-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #43
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan King View Post
I just had my Turbosmart VR11 Plumb back installed today along with a Pure high flow inlet pipe. I was able to drive the car on the highway and on regular roads for about an hour after install. I am pretty much full bolt on with the exception of an upgraded turbo.

2018 M2 LCI Manual Trans
BM3 Stage 2 93 oct
VRSF Charge pipe
Eventuri V2 air intake
Wagner EVO Comp 2 IC

I was noticing some turbo lag with the above setup before installing the VR11 and after following this thread and a few older ones I thought it was worth a shot to see if it would help with responsiveness.

There is definitely a change in the throttle responsiveness when applying throttle at various RPM's and even between shifts. I was setting myself up for disappointment and was pleasantly surprised at how the car delivers power after installing. I am assuming the VR11 is responsible for more of these changes than the inlet pipe, but as I said they were installed at the same time. FYI my stock DV didn't seem damaged in any way, but I am pretty sure it wasn't holding boost properly with the Stage 2 setup I am running.
Great to hear. I’m doing the VR11 and Pure pipe in a couple weeks. Looking forward to better throttle response!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #44
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan King View Post

2018 M2 LCI Manual Trans
BM3 Stage 2 93 oct
VRSF Charge pipe
Eventuri V2 air intake
Wagner EVO Comp 2 IC

Great review. I'm going to be switching from the DV+ to the VR11 plumb back model in the next couple days here. Just trying to decide when I want to subject myself to the frustration of that install hahaha.
Appreciate 0