BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Quickjack for lifting

01-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Quickjack for lifting

I've seen a few threads on here about the Quickjack system and how everyone likes it. However, I'm trying to see the reason for using it? Obviously on most vehicles it would be good for rotating tires, but on an M2C there's no need for that. For oil changes, I already have some nice race ramps for that. If someone has or uses the Quickjack for their M2, what are you using it for on a regular basis (not just a one time need)? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I use my QuickJack quite frequently and love it. Does it do anything that I can't do with a jack + axle stands? No, but it is faster and does provide a bit more lift than I could get with my axle stands.

My M2 is my daily and I also use it at the track pretty frequently from April through October. I do 1 or 2 oil changes per year, several brake fluid changes, and for each track day it is a tire & brake pad change. I prefer having the car level for oil changes rather than using ramps. Lifting the entire car in 1 go, then using my impact gun I can do a full tire change in 10-15 minutes (for winter/summer change). When I do a brake pad + tire change for track days, it's 1 hour or so. Brake fluid changes usually add 30 - 45 minutes because of the way I use my power bleeder. I think lifting each corner individually would easily add 15 minutes to the process or more.

I also use the QuickJack for performing winter/summer tire change overs for friends and family and it saves a bunch of time there too. The extra lift it provides makes it a bit easier doing coolant and power steering work. I suspect it'll make things a bit easier for replacing springs and dampers too.
Appreciate 1
fleetfoot115.50
      01-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroglava View Post
I've seen a few threads on here about the Quickjack system and how everyone likes it. However, I'm trying to see the reason for using it? Obviously on most vehicles it would be good for rotating tires, but on an M2C there's no need for that. For oil changes, I already have some nice race ramps for that. If someone has or uses the Quickjack for their M2, what are you using it for on a regular basis (not just a one time need)? Thanks!
Used mine for Charge Pipe install as well as Intercooler install. Have used it for oil changes, and switching out Oem to Track Pads. Will use it soon to install Autosolutions Short Shifter, which requires removal of Stiffening Brace and Drive Shaft and Exhaust. Worth it in my experiences. I feel much safer under car with this lift. and allows a good amount of room to work with. Would love to have a full lift in my garage, but there is no headroom for one.

Last edited by chief1richard; 03-17-2021 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I just bought one. Final straw/motivation to pull the trigger was looking at the hourly cost of our local DIY shop to rent a list for a coilover install. A full day with the lift would have been roughly half the cost of the Quickjack, so I went for it instead.

I’ve wanted one for a while, and didn’t really want to do the install on jack stands. I’ve never really been comfortable under a car with all four corners on jack stands. (I also installed toe links on the rear and torque arms on the front). The lift worked great and feels super solid.

We have 5 cars in the household, and three of them (M2 included)see regular track time, the other two get winter tires, so I’m swapping wheels/tires, brake pads, changing oil, bleeding brakes, performing track inspections, etc, all the time.

If I just had 1-2 cars, and only used it for oil changes and tire rotations/seasonal swaps, I never would’ve justified the cost, but when I’ll probably use it 30 or more times per year, it seems like a nice addition to the garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:54 AM   #5
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Love my QuickJack.

Purchased it when I decided to DIY upgrade the FMIC, turbo inlet pipe, diverter valve, and charge/boost pipes. Just that alone justifies the cost, or most of it.

I'll be adding an exhaust and an SSK and getting my calipers powder coated soon, and the QuickJack will be very handy for these installs/upgrades...

I painted a logo on my FMIC and have needed to repaint it once. Need to again, actually due to rocks hitting it on some hard Dragon runs out in NC. Much easier to do this having FMIC off the car while the car is on the lift.

Then there's brake fluid and pad changes, all easier on the QJ.

Oil changes are also easier / a lot more comfortable to do now, but those can be done without lifting the car at all. So, an added bonus at least.

My thinking was also for the future, I plan to keep the M2, add another car, and do all the maintenance myself on the future car. Plus other future/present family cars.

Most importantly, the added peace of mind that the car is stable and wont fall on me is priceless. Never felt comfortable being under a car on jack stands.
Appreciate 1
fleetfoot115.50
      01-28-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
I just bought one. Final straw/motivation to pull the trigger was looking at the hourly cost of our local DIY shop to rent a list for a coilover install. A full day with the lift would have been roughly half the cost of the Quickjack, so I went for it instead.

I've wanted one for a while, and didn't really want to do the install on jack stands. I've never really been comfortable under a car with all four corners on jack stands. (I also installed toe links on the rear and torque arms on the front). The lift worked great and feels super solid.

We have 5 cars in the household, and three of them (M2 included)see regular track time, the other two get winter tires, so I'm swapping wheels/tires, brake pads, changing oil, bleeding brakes, performing track inspections, etc, all the time.

If I just had 1-2 cars, and only used it for oil changes and tire rotations/seasonal swaps, I never would've justified the cost, but when I'll probably use it 30 or more times per year, it seems like a nice addition to the garage.
Interesting. DIY shop around here is less than 30 bucks an hour, or 150 bucks a day. Probably one of the main reasons I havent ordered a quick jack yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Interesting. DIY shop around here is less than 30 bucks an hour, or 150 bucks a day. Probably one of the main reasons I havent ordered a quick jack yet.
$470 per day here. Not nearly the full day discount you get off the ($47) hourly rate.

At $150-200day, I probably might’ve done the work at Stews. But it was nice knowing that if we ran out of motivation on Saturday, we could pick it back up where we left off Sunday. Took us 14 hours with a couple pauses to figure things out, lunch and dinner breaks, so it was good we didn’t have a time constraint.

https://stewsgarage.com/pricing/

Freedom to work at your pace is a big benefit over the DIY garage for bigger projects like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
$470 per day here. Not nearly the full day discount you get off the ($47) hourly rate.

At $150-200day, I probably might’ve done the work at Stews. But it was nice knowing that if we ran out of motivation on Saturday, we could pick it back up where we left off Sunday. Took us 14 hours with a couple pauses to figure things out, lunch and dinner breaks, so it was good we didn’t have a time constraint.

https://stewsgarage.com/pricing/

Freedom to work at your pace is a big benefit over the DIY garage for bigger projects like this.
Yup. That's expensive.

Also agree, it's nice to work in your own space.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #9
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

[IMG][/IMG]

Love mine for track days and detailing.
Attached Images

FrozenGT1109.00
BFLY78.50
Mark 1M348.50
      03-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

I got a quick jack for my other car ...it’s the 3500 version ...quickjack told me there stands are safe up to the rated lift capacity . I don’t feel like buying the 5000 now just for the extra 80 pounds on the fat ass M2C....

I use them for oil changes , tire changes ...Coilovers swaps ...diff swaps .. brakes .

If you go to the track a lot guys will want to use it makes tire swaps a breeze .
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #11
Quicksilver_M2C
Go for it now. The future is promised to no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver87 View Post

Love mine for track days and detailing.
nice setup... which quick jack model do have? TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #12
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
I've got one of the 7000s, don't remember if it's the SLX or EXT. We got it so it could work on all of our vehicles. This one just BARELY works for the M2. I have to push it back to like within an inch of the rear tire and have the rubber blocks against the edges.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #13
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I use the 5000 SLX and it has no problems with the lift points on my 2017 M2. I also have the extension rails which are needed for working on an 2000 E34 528i and 2015 Subaru Impreza. The best thing really is to grab a tape measure and measure the gap between lift points on all the vehicles you plan to work on. I could just use the SLX without the frame extensions for the E34 and Subaru but the lift blocks were at extremes of the SLX frame and not entirely on the lift points of the vehicles so things were pretty precarious. I suspect if I did have an EXT model it probably would be fine for the E34, Subaru and M2 but it wouldn't fit between the wheels of some compact & subcompacts.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #14
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Found this at Lowes....$1249.....Looks interesting, neighbor is thinking of ordering.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dannmar-Equ...ift/1001224576
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #15
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Found this at Lowes....$1249.....Looks interesting, neighbor is thinking of ordering.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dannmar-Equ...ift/1001224576
I’m struggling with the use case for this.

Having all 4 wheels off the ground easily had me sold on the Quickjack, and I’ve enjoyed having it the last few months for brakes, wheels, suspension and fluid changes, but this thing... I’m not sure what it would do better than a jack and jack stands.

With a Quickjack also being around the same cost or possibly cheaper, I’m curious what appeals to you about the MaxJax tilt instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #16
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
I’m struggling with the use case for this.

Having all 4 wheels off the ground easily had me sold on the Quickjack, and I’ve enjoyed having it the last few months for brakes, wheels, suspension and fluid changes, but this thing... I’m not sure what it would do better than a jack and jack stands.

With a Quickjack also being around the same cost or possibly cheaper, I’m curious what appeals to you about the MaxJax tilt instead.
I didn't know Quickjack was the same price. I was just putting info out there. Honestly, I don't think I'd crawl under a car while it was up on this thing. Actually I know I wouldn't. I suppose the only advantage for the one at Lowes is that it is collapsible and can hang on a wall
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      03-20-2020, 09:49 PM   #17
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yeah, the idea of using that tilting lift without jack stands underneath would absolutely not happen. With the way the QuickJacks lock into place I am pretty comfortable in their safety, as long as the car is sitting safely balanced on the lift blocks then it is very stable.

I do store my QuickJack frames stored on the wall in the garage, they don't take up much space although I will admit they are really bloody heavy to lift onto the brackets I use to store them. I use some 75-100 lbs rated brackets solidly mounted into a solid 2x4 anchored through drywall into the stud wall of the garage.

I know that QuickJack have been able to arrange for a bunch of distribution in Canada now and the price has come down pretty well too. When I bought mine direct from QuickJack they were delivered by freight which was handy but it was quite pricey. Costco and Canadian Tire both seem to sell the QuickJacks from time-to-time with sales. Although I think they usually are more limited in the models they sell, I personally wanted the 12V version which is a bit rarer (and also was backordered when I bought and delayed delivery by 2-3 months).
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #18
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
I didn't know Quickjack was the same price. I was just putting info out there. Honestly, I don't think I'd crawl under a car while it was up on this thing. Actually I know I wouldn't. I suppose the only advantage for the one at Lowes is that it is collapsible and can hang on a wall
Sounds like we’re on the same page.

Quickjack has been on sale for $999-1099 off and on at Costco. A bit more elsewhere. Assembly is a good afternoon project while you’re on lockdown. I haven’t figured out a long term storage solution yet, and as mentioned above, the ramps are heavy, but it seems I’ll have some free time for projects in the next month or more while we’re locked down. So maybe that’ll happen soon.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #19
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Inspired by an image I'd seen on the QuickJack website, I mounted the frames to my garage wall.

I mounted the frames using 2 x 3 3/4" and 2 x 5" 3/8" wedge anchors. These are designed to bolt something to a wall, but can be used to just mount a stud to the wall, which is what I did.

I mounted the studs about 1.5 inches into the wall, leaving 3.5 inches sticking out for the longer bolt, and 2.25 inches sticking out for the shorter one. I also used two slim 3/8" nuts and a washer on the end of each stud to stop the frames from potentially sliding off, and wrapped insulating tape around the threads to make a smooth surface for the frames to hang from.

I'm pretty happy with the results:

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      04-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #20
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I tried lifting my wife's 2016 Honda Pilot with the 5000 SLX model that I have, hoping that having the car supported on half each rubber block would be OK... It wasn't. Thankfully the car was only an inch or so off the ground when I rocked it to see how stable it would be and the rubber blocks popped out, dropping the car to the ground.

Bend-pak were kind enough to ship me some other lifting options to try, and along with the extensions, which I paid full price for, I now have a solution for lifting both cars.

Having said that, I've not used the Quickjack on her car since, and use it on mine at least once a month!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #21
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That looks like a nice tidy way to mount the frames. Mine hang vertically with a pair of hooks rated to each hold 60lbs so I figured with two per frame that was enough and they've held for the last 2 years.

I also bought the frame extensions, I needed them for working on my father's E39 and my brother & sister's Subarus. Unfortunately with my brother's Impreza I do need to use little drive on wooden ramps to be able to fit the frames + extensions under the jack points but the extensions are nice and solid. My sister's SUV isn't great on the QuickJack because I lose so much just getting to the jack points but for changing tires or brake work it works well enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #22
mrdstr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 12 X5d

Garage List
I run the quick jacks on most of my cars. Was hoping to use on the SUVs, but even the XL models are too short to get to the lift points and german SUVs don't have exposed rails. I use them for oil changes, exhaust mods, brakes, pulling trans...pretty much anything. I like that they are portable as i can take them outside, lift the car, pull the wheels and pressure wash and clean the wheel wells and suspension. If my garage situation was different, I would have gone with max jax or a traditional 2 post lift as you can get higher for certain jobs.
Appreciate 0