BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Ugh how do we remove scratches from the gauge cluster?

07-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #23
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Quick question - is the infotainment screen the same, or is that okay with being cleaned with a good microfiber towel?

I can't imagine it being as fragile as the cluster seeing how it's a touchscreen and some people will use it?

And thanks for the heads up on this guys - guess I'll be cleaning using the can duster/cell phone plastic sticky method.
The infotainment screen is regular glass. Can easily be cleaned with glass cleaner and a microfiber.
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      07-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #24
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Quick question - is the infotainment screen the same, or is that okay with being cleaned with a good microfiber towel?

I can't imagine it being as fragile as the cluster seeing how it's a touchscreen and some people will use it?

And thanks for the heads up on this guys - guess I'll be cleaning using the can duster/cell phone plastic sticky method.
The infotainment screen is regular glass. Can easily be cleaned with glass cleaner and a microfiber.
That's good news at least. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #25
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
There should be a sticky thread with bold all-caps text for the LCI cluster. It seems too many people that aren't familiar with it think you can clean it like other clusters which isn't the case. You should never come in contact with it ever if you can and just blow the dust off with a can of compressed duster. Once you scratch it you are kind of screwed as it's a thinly coated membrane that doesn't have layers to polish off like clear plastic. I would like to see before and after success stories of polishing out scratches on these before trying it yourself as I just don't see how it can be done even with a mild polish and the greatest MF towel in existence.
So how would you clean:

1.) An accidental sneeze.
2.) Fingerprints? (God forbid)
3.) Anything that cannot be removed with a dust off can?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #26
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
So how would you clean:

You don't, this is a good example of a cluster_uck!
Appreciate 4
tranck499.00
heavyD^23684.00
kfscoll208.50
      07-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #27
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
You don't, this is a good example of a cluster_uck!
Bravo!
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #28
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

I have followed this thread since before I got my M2C.

There were no marks on the gauges when I took delivery.

Several weeks later, while detailing my car, I noticed dried droplets of some kind on the gauges.

Very carefully, I used a brand new, soft microfiber cloth (damp with water only) to very gently wipe the foreign substance off the gauge surface.

I held my breath and used no pressure from my hand.

Just the weight of the microfiber cloth brushed the gauge surface clean.

I then used another brand new dry microfiber cloth to gently touch the gauge surface dry.

Luckily, no damage was done.

Whew.

I hope I don’t have to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:07 PM   #29
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
So how would you clean:

You don’t. I had fingerprints and sneeze and it was gf after I tried to clean it. I just live with all the scratches ugh.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:42 PM   #30
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Not all mf towels are created equally. I'd be more inclined to use a glass cloth if I had to touch it with anything.
      09-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #31
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Wow, these stories are ridiculous; I can't believe they design the bezel this fragile.

The pre-LCI has a typical plastic covering; so I don't get that if 'it wasn't broken...'

I sincerely hope they improve the quality for the next generation M2 because I know for a fact the the porters at my dealership would scratch it up.. Its what they do
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #32
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Still no final answer how to remove them? Uhmm.... It annoys me but I am not gonna deal with it until I have a better insight into what a decent solution would be.

MR
Are the gauges on the M2C’s cluster as prone to scratches? I figure we’re talking about LCI-M2s as well as the M2C, but wanted to clarify. Waiting for my car to arrive home from Euro Delivery and want to say something to the dealer about not wiping it with ANYTHING when they are prepping it for Re-delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #33
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Are the gauges on the M2C’s cluster as prone to scratches? I figure we’re talking about LCI-M2s as well as the M2C, but wanted to clarify. Waiting for my car to arrive home from Euro Delivery and want to say something to the dealer about not wiping it with ANYTHING when they are prepping it for Re-delivery.
same gauges
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #34
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

You know, I really didn't believe it was that easy to scratch and you guys were being careless. So a month or so ago, I cleaned mine for the first time since buying the car March 2018. All I did was lightly wipe over it with a dry microfiber cloth. Applying absolutely zero pressure. Just so the cloth would pickup the dust on the cluster. And what do you know... in direct sunlight, you see a bunch of light scratches in mine now in the direction I was wiping
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #35
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
You know, I really didn't believe it was that easy to scratch and you guys were being careless. So a month or so ago, I cleaned mine for the first time since buying the car March 2018. All I did was lightly wipe over it with a dry microfiber cloth. Applying absolutely zero pressure. Just so the cloth would pickup the dust on the cluster. And what do you know... in direct sunlight, you see a bunch of light scratches in mine now in the direction I was wiping
It's not an exaggeration. It can not be understated; DO NOT LET ANYTHING COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER! ANYTHING!

BMW has managed to unearth the most delicate film known to mankind and use it on an instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #36
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dealer put circular scratches in the middle of the gauges before I took delivery. They are quite visible under sunlight. Are there any methods to remove the scratches?
Appreciate 1
M2CSL7.00
      10-13-2019, 02:11 AM   #37
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Dealer put circular scratches in the middle of the gauges before I took delivery. They are quite visible under sunlight. Are there any methods to remove the scratches?
Same here... they left the blue plastic on and it was baking in the sun. Not much we can do about it anymore. I had it when I look at it, but I can't change it anymore other than begging for replacement. Still I don't want them to take my dashboard apart. That is a recipe for disaster with weird cracking noises.

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #38
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
I have followed this thread since before I got my M2C.

There were no marks on the gauges when I took delivery.

Several weeks later, while detailing my car, I noticed dried droplets of some kind on the gauges.

Very carefully, I used a brand new, soft microfiber cloth (damp with water only) to very gently wipe the foreign substance off the gauge surface.

I held my breath and used no pressure from my hand.

Just the weight of the microfiber cloth brushed the gauge surface clean.

I then used another brand new dry microfiber cloth to gently touch the gauge surface dry.

Luckily, no damage was done.

Whew.

I hope I don’t have to do it again.
Sounds like you got lucky! I had zero marks on mine when dropped it off in Munich, and just praying that no one touches it... or sneezes/coughs on it ... during its voyage back to the states.

Hopefully someone comes up with something we can do to prevent scratches in the future... some sort of screen cover like what many use for an iPhone would seemingly be feasible, but otherwise I guess will just resort to compressed duster or a shop vac reversed for blowing rather than suction, and remember to tell the shop every single time it’s serviced not to touch it or put the keys on the cluster’s ledge above the steering wheel.

Being OCD sucks, and with being the first new car I’ve ever purchased, this one is going to drive me crazy.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      10-25-2019, 12:29 AM   #39
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Picked up my car and there are waterspots all over the cluster. I want to clean them off but don't want to touch it. Sucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 06:06 AM   #40
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

So I found a few spots on my gauge cluster and I had read these posts beforehand. I used the softest microfiber towel I had and made sure it was damp and used very little pressure. I did not create any scratchs.

After re-looking at some of the previous posts, some of you guys are using a dry microfiber to get the dust off --- you wouldn't use a dry microfiber on paint to remove dust so just use caution and be sure the microfiber is damp - this worked for me!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #41
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Guys, update my end...

I have brought my car to Topaz Detailing in London and they have done a miracle with my cluster. It was dirty and full of scratches.

After the car got PPF and a full detail, I stepped in and drove away. The interior was nice and clean, but I was like wait a minute why is my cluster so clean.

It almost feels brand new. The guys polished the center cluster and for 90% the scratches and dirt are gone. I am so happy how it looks now. It is really the best they could have done.

I asked what they did, and they said it took them ages to do it. They have to be extremely careful, but they polish it a bit to make it better again. Delicate job but something I am really happy about.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #42
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Same here... they left the blue plastic on and it was baking in the sun. Not much we can do about it anymore. I had it when I look at it, but I can't change it anymore other than begging for replacement. Still I don't want them to take my dashboard apart. That is a recipe for disaster with weird cracking noises.

MR
You don't take the dash apart to remove the cluster it literally just unscrews and pops out:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1532620

There's no recipe for weird noises either, it clips and screws in very tightly and there was even felt tape installed from the factory.
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2020, 03:34 AM   #43
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I have one watermark right over the 3 in my RPM cluster that I'm afraid of cleaning due to scratches.. Trying to stay scratch free as long as I can
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #44
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Was about to say why the dash is coming off it's just two screws.

I'm so paranoid about my cluster getting scratched. It was a retrofit so went in crispy new.

I looked to see if the plastic shield/guard could be taken off my stock one and moved over but the new guage has no where for the plastic to sit.

I wonder if something like megs PlastX could be used?

That or something that has a filling effect akin to carnauba wax?
Appreciate 0