BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *** M2 Competition (S55) support now available with bootmod3 ***

04-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #925
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
So going in to Auto Talent tomorrow to finally bench flash bm3. Any must have settings?? Starting off with stage 2 e30. Can anyone share the difference they experience going with this tune??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
Can auto talent bench flash? I'm looking for a shop to ship my dme to for bench unlocking.
Some dude in a LA BMW group chat got his DME unlocked at AutoTalent with BM3 and now it's bricked during flashing. He is trying to work with them now to get it resolved. I believe BM3 and Alex from Alpine are trying to help diagnose the issue since no one knows what went wrong. He has a 2020 M4 with the latest updated DME
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #926
tougeking
Rep
Drives: M2C

What? After bench flash still not work? What manufactures month and year? That's weird...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #927
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Some dude in a LA BMW group chat got his DME unlocked at AutoTalent with BM3 and now it's bricked during flashing. He is trying to work with them now to get it resolved. I believe BM3 and Alex from Alpine are trying to help diagnose the issue since no one knows what went wrong. He has a 2020 M4 with the latest updated DME
Damn that's the last thing I want to hear right now! But no the dme is not bricked by any means per the tuner

Last edited by Bimmer28312; 04-17-2020 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #928
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Damn that's the last thing I want to hear right now!
^ yikes
There's always EAS if you're in town.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #929
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Damn that's the last thing I want to hear right now! But no the dme is not bricked by any means per the tuner
The guy who's car is "bricked", used that terminology.. just relaying the message. I'll ask him for an update.

He claims they unlocked the DME remote with BM3, but when flashing a map the DME "bricked"...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #930
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The guy who's car is "bricked", used that terminology.. just relaying the message. I'll ask him for an update.

He claims they unlocked the DME remote with BM3, but when flashing a map the DME "bricked"...
Man that's some some shit luck. First I've heard of this happening but def share the info you have on what he says. First time flashing, if he was unlocked before it not, what map etc. I didn't drive 6hrs to get spooked now so I'm proceeding with it all 😳
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #931
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Man that's some some shit luck. First I've heard of this happening but def share the info you have on what he says. First time flashing, if he was unlocked before it not, what map etc. I didn't drive 6hrs to get spooked now so I'm proceeding with it all 😳
Fortune favors the brave. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #932
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:

My tuner said this happens once in a while when flashing BM3. Just as they we’re flashing my car, a guy with a 135i brought his car over on a tow truck because his ECU bricked when flashing BM3.

My tuner said it takes a couple of hours to un-brick the car and reset it.
      04-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #933
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I would proceed as well, I think this was a one off incident that 'can' happen to new ECU's! AutoTalent has some great guys who are knowledgeable, mistakes can happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #934
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

I'll report back hopefully enjoying the extra 130hp+
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #935
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Man that's some some shit luck. First I've heard of this happening but def share the info you have on what he says. First time flashing, if he was unlocked before it not, what map etc. I didn't drive 6hrs to get spooked now so I'm proceeding with it all ��
Make sure that they attach a high powered battery charger to the connections under the hood before flashing, just to eliminate one issue at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #936
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Make sure that they attach a high powered battery charger to the connections under the hood before flashing, just to eliminate one issue at least.
Bimmer28312 is probably too busy enjoying an additional 130hp!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #937
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Quote:

Bricking these DMEs, in the true sense of the word, is impossible over OBD. You can kick the ENET/OBD cable at the start/mid/end of the flashing process and still recover over OBD after by simply restarting the flash.

This particular car was bench unlocked by Autotalent on April 8th, and flashed with bm3 without issues. Our support hours are Mon-Fri 9am-5pm EST and we got an email around 6-630pm indicating this car could no longer flash for some odd reason yet it was fine before and bench unlocked. Our tech support staff was already offline but they got in touch with Autotalent to remote in and troubleshoot the issue. Not having any other details we suspected battery being low and advised battery to be charged.

Autotalent found a Macht Scnhell exhaust valve controller connected which the owner recently reinstalled. This device, much like any other piggyback, sits on the CANBus and needs to be disconnected or it interrupts programming with any tool, OEM or aftermarket, and that includes bm3.

Prior to flashing with bm3 a warning message comes up to disable any such devices but unfortunately it was kept on and was interrupting. In any case, this is easily resolvable

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
My tuner said this happens once in a while when flashing BM3. Just as they we’re flashing my car, a guy with a 135i brought his car over on a tow truck because his ECU bricked when flashing BM3.

Hi McLaren720s not sure which tuner you spoke to but programming never fails unless caused by external factors such as the above mentioned.

What can fail OBD programming with BM3 will fail programming with any software including OEM tools such as ISTA and E-SYS. This includes having piggyback devices running on the car, bad ENET/OBD cable, low battery charge causing ignition drop or in some cases on laptops leaving firewall (windows defender) turned on. In all of these cases the DME is fully recoverable after the root case is identified.

All the best, hope everyone is staying safe and healthy

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 04-17-2020 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
M-Pilot4859.00
BFLY78.50
      04-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #938
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Bricking these DMEs, in the true sense of the word, is impossible over OBD. You can kick the ENET/OBD cable at the start/mid/end of the flashing process and still recover over OBD after by simply restarting the flash.

This particular car was bench unlocked by Autotalent on April 8th, and flashed with bm3 without issues. Our support hours are Mon-Fri 9am-5pm EST and we got an email around 6-630pm indicating this car could no longer flash for some odd reason yet it was fine before and bench unlocked. Our tech support staff was already offline but they got in touch with Autotalent to remote in and troubleshoot the issue. Not having any other details we suspected battery being low and advised battery to be charged.

Autotalent found a Macht Scnhell exhaust valve controller connected which the owner recently reinstalled. This device, much like any other piggyback, sits on the CANBus and needs to be disconnected or it interrupts programming with any tool, OEM or aftermarket, and that includes bm3.

Prior to flashing with bm3 a warning message comes up to disable any such devices but unfortunately it was kept on and was interrupting. In any case, this is easily resolvable

Quote:
My tuner said this happens once in a while when flashing BM3. Just as they we're flashing my car, a guy with a 135i brought his car over on a tow truck because his ECU bricked when flashing BM3.

Hi McLaren720s not sure which tuner you spoke to but programming never fails unless caused by external factors such as the above mentioned.

What can fail OBD programming with BM3 will fail programming with any software including OEM tools such as ISTA and E-SYS. This includes having piggyback devices running on the car, bad ENET/OBD cable, low battery charge causing ignition drop or in some cases on laptops leaving firewall (windows defender) turned on. In all of these cases the DME is fully recoverable after the root case is identified.

All the best, hope everyone is staying safe and healthy
Thanks for sharing this information! It further places my trust into BM3 with how knowledgeable and up front you all are. 👍🏼 can't wait to tune my M2C in the near future
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 11:37 PM   #939
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

Let me make it easier I'm busy running these empty highways atm in Socal. Auto Talent did an awesome job!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #940
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this information! It further places my trust into BM3 with how knowledgeable and up front you all are. 👍🏼 can't wait to tune my M2C in the near future
Quote:
Let me make it easier I'm busy running these empty highways atm in Socal. Auto Talent did an awesome job!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #941
tougeking
Rep

I'm just wondering what kit could bench unlock the 2020 M2C? Would the FLEX tuning kit work for 2020 M2C? I was told some bench unlock tools like KTAG and Autotuner could do this, but DME needs to be opened which I couldn't accept at all. Anyone could share info?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #942
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougeking View Post
I'm just wondering what kit could bench unlock the 2020 M2C? Would the FLEX tuning kit work for 2020 M2C? I was told some bench unlock tools like KTAG and Autotuner could do this, but DME needs to be opened which I couldn't accept at all. Anyone could share info?
Mine was unlocked with AutoTuner. You can connect to the ECU without having to remove it.
Best to find a shop that can do it for you.
      04-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #943
tougeking
Rep

Quote:
Mine was unlocked with AutoTuner. You can connect to the ECU without having to remove it.
I don't have a reliable shop nearby unluckily. They have bench flash kit and don't know how to use it... anyone has photos and how-to instructions would be greatly helpful. I really want to support BM3, hope those genii could help people who're suffering...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:21 PM   #944
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have a reliable shop nearby unluckily. They have bench flash kit and don't know how to use it... anyone has photos and how-to instructions would be greatly helpful. I really want to support BM3, hope those genii could help people who're suffering...
Please let me know if you find a guide or instructions as well. I have been looking into a Ktag kit as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #945
tougeking
Rep

Still struggling to look for solutions... Just pray BM3 could make OBD remap work directly to our car, that would be a surprise.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #946
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still struggling to look for solutions... Just pray BM3 could make OBD remap work directly to our car, that would be a surprise.
Have you tried looking for shops that are perhaps farther away? Someone here just drove 5 hours to a shop that unlocked it for him. You might want to look into that.
If you live in DC, there have to be shops in Philly/NY that whole area that can unlock ECU.
Contact Kies Motorsport in PA. Maybe they can do it.