BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *** M2 Competition (S55) support now available with bootmod3 ***

03-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #881
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

UPDATE:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705517
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #882
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Well thanks, I’m very happy for all those with unlocked ECU’s who can actually flash this. The rest of use are just going to crawl back into our corner and cry.
      03-23-2020, 02:54 AM   #883
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

OK guys. Let's be honest. There is an interface problem with the PTF/BM3 software, they cannot access an updated (or new) S55 ECU anymore. 6 months (or is it longer?) later there is still no fix, and PTF shines with stupid live dash updates and B58 achievements while lacking any info to their S55 client base, the customer base that made them for a part what they are now. That feels like a big stink finger, and maybe you do it unintentionally cause you guys are a bunch of tech driven guys (like me), but please think about it. This is the message you're spreading by ignoring and avoiding the subject.

I do not know how you like to run your company, but believe me that I (and with me many others) will never flash any car anymore with your software as this could happen with any BMW ECU (in fact any brand's ECU) from the one day to the other.

It is your slow response moreover your lack of information to such change, that leave me to think you are not the right guys to be given access to my ECU. Let's be honest, BMW can lock any ECU from today, this can happen to B58, S63, S58, and every non S engine. And then your response would also take you half a year or longer, and you will also not inform your customers about status, progress, incentives, solutions and virtually giving them your stink finger?

Food for thought guys......you're loosing your customer base very quickly.

Just saying. For a friend.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 03:21 AM   #884
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
It's past one year now (march 19-march 20). Same story for every tuner, not only proTUNING Freaks. There is no interest on developing a solution for a few S55 locked on the market and it makes sense, our route is the bench flash.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 04:53 AM   #885
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

There should be a solution for every platform as BMW can do this to any ECU.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:38 AM   #886
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
New platforms are already been unlocked from tuners
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #887
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

Hi,
No flaming detected
I cannot nag about other tuners as I only have a BM3 license at the moment
Thought I had left ECUtek behind when moving from JDM (Subaru) to ///M cars in 2013, seems I will visiting my good friend Mark V from EMS in NL again
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #888
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Oh come on, you guys are too harsh! We're not sure how saying: "hey guys we're working on it; still working on it; work in progress; still not done but hey we're working on it" can make a difference, until, a solution is in place and is available. We could do a weekly post here to say work is in progress but I don't think that's what everyone's really after.

OBD unlock task is high priority. It is being worked on. Progress is there but slow. Resources for this development work aren't the same resources building app/web and other features being worked on. This is why you see updates happen on other features in the system more frequently. Are the web/app developers better or more efficient? We're sure they'd like to think so but we all know that's not the case given complexity of tasks involved.

OBD unlock type work falls in the area of reverse engineering. It is orders of magnitude more time consuming for many technical reasons. I'd imagine most of you on this board aren't software developers. Those that may be, probably aren't into low level disassembly, let alone intimately familiar with Tricore architecture, disassembler/debugger tools, etc. If you are, send us your resume and lets get crackin'

In a nutshell, and to put this as simple as possible, working on OBD unlock isn't a typical software development task where you're working with source code to build some new functionality. In this case you're working on compiled, executable, machine code and working backwards to make sense out of something only computer/chip is really meant to execute. Machine code is very different from source code in the sense that its much harder to read/interpret especially when the task at hand is to get around something that's put in place to make it hard, harder than before, to do so.

Hope that sheds some light on work involved. In the meantime, as others mentioned, bench unlocking works great. It takes less than hour to pull the DME by any skilled shop. We do the unlock free of charge if DME is mailed to us. Turn around is same day and we use DHL Express. Its 1 day in North America, 2 days anywhere else in the World. Many shops have the bench unlock tools such as KTAG, Autotuner among others, in house to do so. Bench unlock for your S55 is done by applying the patch to your 'current' software version. It doesn't revert back to an older version where you may get a software update again, unless a brand new software update is released. If/when that happens its back to square one on all the OBD unlock work done so far and the cycle repeats.
Appreciate 12
flybigjet6617.50
filet.M2c782.50
M2C_OZ210.00
MRosth126.00
Montaver2066.50
hAxel91.00
m20e30871143.00
M-Pilot4859.00
DaFish153.50
      03-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #889
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Oh come on, you guys are too harsh! We're not sure how saying: "hey guys we're working on it; still working on it; work in progress; still not done but hey we're working on it" can make a difference, until, a solution is in place and is available. We could do a weekly post here to say work is in progress but I don't think that's what everyone's really after.

OBD unlock task is high priority. It is being worked on. Progress is there but slow. Resources for this development work aren't the same resources building app/web and other features being worked on. This is why you see updates happen on other features in the system more frequently. Are the web/app developers better or more efficient? We're sure they'd like to think so but we all know that's not the case given complexity of tasks involved.

OBD unlock type work falls in the area of reverse engineering. It is orders of magnitude more time consuming for many technical reasons. I'd imagine most of you on this board aren't software developers. Those that may be, probably aren't into low level disassembly, let alone intimately familiar with Tricore architecture, disassembler/debugger tools, etc. If you are, send us your resume and lets get crackin'

In a nutshell, and to put this as simple as possible, working on OBD unlock isn't a typical software development task where you're working with source code to build some new functionality. In this case you're working on compiled, executable, machine code and working backwards to make sense out of something only computer/chip is really meant to execute. Machine code is very different from source code in the sense that its much harder to read/interpret especially when the task at hand is to get around something that's put in place to make it hard, harder than before, to do so.

Hope that sheds some light on work involved. In the meantime, as others mentioned, bench unlocking works great. It takes less than hour to pull the DME by any skilled shop. We do the unlock free of charge if DME is mailed to us. Turn around is same day and we use DHL Express. Its 1 day in North America, 2 days anywhere else in the World. Many shops have the bench unlock tools such as KTAG, Autotuner among others, in house to do so. Bench unlock for your S55 is done by applying the patch to your 'current' software version. It doesn't revert back to an older version where you may get a software update again, unless a brand new software update is released. If/when that happens its back to square one on all the OBD unlock work done so far and the cycle repeats.
Thank you. Since the OBDII ECU unlock for the new bootloader has not been accomplished by any other tuners, blaming ProTuning Freaks doesn't accomplish anything. If they could have cracked it easily they would have done it already.
Appreciate 2
Talx85.00
DaFish153.50
      03-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #890
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I for one appreciate everything you folks do and have done for us all this time. There’s no comparison anywhere to what BM3 does. Major kudos and keep it up yall!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #891
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:

I feel the need to add appreciation as well since y'all get so much hate. Hopefully the explanation helps those non-software engineers understand the differences and struggles with reverse engineering versus standard ui/full stack development.

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to flash my car with your software when I'm ready to pull the trigger and void warranty 🤣
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #892
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:

If the DME is unlocked, can we then flash BM3 via OBDII port? Or do you automatically flash BM3 once you unlock?
      03-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #893
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Devotion View Post
OK guys. Let's be honest. There is an interface problem with the PTF/BM3 software, they cannot access an updated (or new) S55 ECU anymore. 6 months (or is it longer?) later there is still no fix, and PTF shines with stupid live dash updates and B58 achievements while lacking any info to their S55 client base, the customer base that made them for a part what they are now. That feels like a big stink finger, and maybe you do it unintentionally cause you guys are a bunch of tech driven guys (like me), but please think about it. This is the message you're spreading by ignoring and avoiding the subject.

I do not know how you like to run your company, but believe me that I (and with me many others) will never flash any car anymore with your software as this could happen with any BMW ECU (in fact any brand's ECU) from the one day to the other.

It is your slow response moreover your lack of information to such change, that leave me to think you are not the right guys to be given access to my ECU. Let's be honest, BMW can lock any ECU from today, this can happen to B58, S63, S58, and every non S engine. And then your response would also take you half a year or longer, and you will also not inform your customers about status, progress, incentives, solutions and virtually giving them your stink finger?

Food for thought guys......you're loosing your customer base very quickly.

Just saying. For a friend.

This sums up my thoughts as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #894
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

That is a decent piece of communication, much appreciated.
Appreciate 1
MRosth126.00
      03-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #895
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It doesn't really matter if you understand how it can make a difference. The community at large has requested numerous times for any type of update or message from PTF.

It takes only a few minutes of someones time at PTF to make a quick post on instagram, facebook, and the forums. And even the smallest update is a gesture of good will and faith to your customers. It costs PTF nothing, but is worth everything to us.

That being said, I appreciate this update. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:06 PM   #896
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

And no most tuner shops regardless if they are certified to sell BM3 aren't capable to tune or ship out our dme. Vargas turbo is on your list and I was just told no they can't remove and send out my dme

Last edited by Bimmer28312; 03-23-2020 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #897
MRosth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

will patch my ECU tomorrow so I can get some of the BM3 fun in the car
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #898
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRosth View Post
will patch my ECU tomorrow so I can get some of the BM3 fun in the car
Awesome man, ill be doing the same next week
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #899
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

If I'm not mistaken, I think this video shows how the ECU can be accessed for flashing without being removed from the car. Starting at 2:10.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1706973
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #900
MRosth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

You don't need to remove the ecu, remove the charge cooler and then you can access the ECU connections
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #901
Horson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

What tool to use to unlock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRosth View Post
You don't need to remove the ecu, remove the charge cooler and then you can access the ECU connections
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #902
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horson View Post