BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Hidden exhaust mode in M2 (Traction Mode)

06-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #23
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Perhaps this is the same result as what we were told on our M Tour #2. That if you first press the ignition, but not crank over the engine, then put it in Sports+ mode, then fire up the engine, you we get the "loud" mode at startup.

We were also informed that there is a method to keep the exhaust flap permanently open. With the engine at regular operating temp, put the car in Sports+, then go underneath the car and pull the electrical connector to the exhaust valve which controls the flap. This will lock the flap in the open position.

As our baby are being shipped over and will not arrive for some time, perhaps some of you already with your vehicle can try this out and let us know whether this works.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #24
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Also confined OP theory here.

I'm not 100% convinced the exhaust flap is any different in Traction vs Sport/Sport +. Wondering if Traction simply adjusts the flap and Sport/Sport+ adjust the flap and dynamic sound.
Appreciate 3
D CHOI580.00
      06-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #25
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Well, I just tried this...and holy shit it works. The burbles are cool but I have a DCT and when going wot and manually shifting at high rpms I heard something that I have never heard before...the beautiful sound of a blowoff valve. I mean it was loud!!! A POP, followed by a winding down whistle...PFtttchewww (<--the sound). Magical, going out to test this out again. I love it. I wish I could make throttle response match the awesome sound in this strange new mode.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #26
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

OP deserves some kinda of a award for this deeeeeep find. And you noobs with a car didnt even belive him...daaaaamn
Appreciate 6
      06-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #27
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Well, I just tried this...and holy shit it works. The burbles are cool but I have a DCT and when going wot and manually shifting at high rpms I heard something that I have never heard before...the beautiful sound of a blowoff valve. I mean it was loud!!! A POP, followed by a winding down whistle...PFtttchewww (<--the sound). Magical, going out to test this out again. I love it. I wish I could make throttle response match the awesome sound in this strange new mode.
Does it stay in this mode if you switch it to Sport+ after engaging it? Wouldn't want to drive in comfort mode just to hear the sounds...

Nice find OP.
      06-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #28
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makman View Post
OP deserves some kinda of a award for this deeeeeep find. And you noobs with a car didnt even belive him...daaaaamn
Called rep points! Go appreciate the post.
      06-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #29
Fab_R
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 / Audi S3 8V Sedan

Quote:
Yup... I'm getting farts on the upshift depending on throttle percentage...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #30
Fab_R
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 / Audi S3 8V Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Does it stay in this mode if you switch it to Sport+ after engaging it? Wouldn't want to drive in comfort mode just to hear the sounds...

Nice find OP.
No it won't I'm afraid.

I guess the best thing to do with the exhaust flaps is to have it open on this exact position permanently..

Isn't there a kit you can buy to do this?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #31
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
I wasn't sure how to name the topic, but I found an awesome and unusual thing today.

There seems to be a little "Easter egg" hidden in standard M2 exhaust and its driving modes.

As you all know if you push driving mode to Sport+ the exhaust clap would open and drastically the sound is way louder and you would hear burble when lifting of the gas pedal occasionally and exhaust is warm.

Now, today after 2 months of owning of my M2, I was in comfort mode engine was cold and I just pressed the driving stability button shortly to be in limited stability mode.

All of the sudden the exhaust started to burble like crazy and so loud in 1,2 and 3 gear between 2-4k range.

First, I thought that I was running nuts then I started to change like maniac between other modes, Sport to Sport+ back to comfort and then to Stability control completely off, but simply the loudness and longevity of exhaust burble can't be compared with any other mode so far.

I would like to hear if anyone else has noticed this if not, I would like if someone can give it a try.

It's ridiculous how addictive it sounds...

Once again, start your car in comfort mode and press DSC button once shortly to put it in limited mode and drive and lift the gas pedal in 1,2 and 3 gear from 4k RPM range to 2k RPM range.

One more thing I have 6speed manual, so for DCT owners change to manual shifting mode if it's possible in comfort mode.
Wow, well tried this with my DCT and yes - it really works - pops/bangs are louder and the i think the howl is louder too.

Bloody hell, this stock exhaust is so good, I am not sure you need to upgrade it (maybe just a sports cat if you must)

Thanks so much for this post!!!
      06-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #32
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

ill assume this is the same sound as sports + mode, which i have been driving for 98% of the time, yes the gurgling sound is so addictive
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #33
blainem
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

On a recent ED trip with a bunch of other M2 buyers, we were extremely fortunate to visit the M Studio in Garching outside of Munich. We were able to spend a couple of hours with the chief designer of the M2 and collectively asked a bunch of questions, one of which was what his favorite driving mode was (he drives a DCT). He said it was definitely in Comfort mode with a single click of the DSC button, particularly because of the sound generated. For the rest of the trip, we came to affectionately call it the "Burble Button". The effect is decidedly more pronounced than any other combo... pretty cool.
Appreciate 4
      06-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #34
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post

Nice find OP.
No it does not. It was fun for a little bit trying something different but I had to go back to the sport +. That is my M2's home, it's happy place...it's all in the hips, it's all in the hips, it's all in the hips.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 3
      06-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #35
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
No it does not. It was fun for a little bit trying something different but I had to go back to the sport +. That is my M2's home, it's happy place...it's all in the hips, it's all in the hips, it's all in the hips.
Agreed, Sport+ is where it's at.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:16 AM   #36
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainem View Post
On a recent ED trip with a bunch of other M2 buyers, we were extremely fortunate to visit the M Studio in Garching outside of Munich. We were able to spend a couple of hours with the chief designer of the M2 and collectively asked a bunch of questions, one of which was what his favorite driving mode was (he drives a DCT). He said it was definitely in Comfort mode with a single click of the DSC button, particularly because of the sound generated. For the rest of the trip, we came to affectionately call it the "Burble Button". The effect is decidedly more pronounced than any other combo... pretty cool.
HA! That's it we have a prof here it's all true.

I think we should call it Popcorn mode!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:22 AM   #37
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep

This is awesome, I used to always put the 1M in MDM Mode, it's more fun and I didn't need the extra throttle response for daily driving, but would hate if the traction always kicked in.
My M2 doesn't arrive for another 3 weeks but thanks to OP I'm loving this new find. It's exactly how I plan to drive most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #38
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep

Tried this out this morning and can confirm.

Seems to be much more burble than pop, but it sounds cool! Definitely different than how Sport/Sport+ mode sounds.

Awesome find!!!
      06-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #39
Kover310
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 AW

Been testing this for a few days, 100% has more burble the. Sport and sport+ . Amazing daily driving mode
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #40
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Is it ASD changes or is the flap even further open than sport? If it's the former, I'd laugh. If it's the latter than wtf? Can't think of another option.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #41
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Wow, well tried this with my DCT and yes - it really works - pops/bangs are louder and the i think the howl is louder too.
But only if the DCT is in sequencial mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #42
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Is it ASD changes or is the flap even further open than sport? If it's the former, I'd laugh. If it's the latter than wtf? Can't think of another option.
I don't think it's ASD as the OP stated he first noticed it while driving with windows down.

And I agree, if it is the latter, why???
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #43
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirc View Post
Tried this out this morning and can confirm.

Seems to be much more burble than pop, but it sounds cool! Definitely different than how Sport/Sport+ mode sounds.

Awesome find!!!

I had a co-worker go to lunch with me today and I had it in Sport+ and there were some speed bumps in our parking lot, so I switched down to comfort mode quick due to the throttle response being lower. After that, I remembered this thread and clicked the DSC button and can confirm that when going 7-10mph in the parking lot and then letting off the throttle, the burble is pretty damn good. I feel as if it is louder than Sport+ which is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #44
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Brilliant OP for post if the year!

Provided it still exists for my October build...