BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Car due service next month

05-11-2020, 04:31 AM   #1
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Car due service next month

Fortunately I am still required to drive my OG to work albeit a short distance of 2.5 miles or so each way.

The dash says a service is due in June.

I am doubtful I will be able to get it done due to lockdown and think that as the car is so low in mileage (only just passed 20k and it's a 2016 chassis) that no harm will come to it in real terms.

But reassurance is nice
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

I'd check with dealer anyway. Here, our dealer is keen on a rotating limited tech staff staying a bit apart and the shop.
Service writers rotate out also and have space; and they take appointments, so customers are not all together. Might be surprised...as I was here.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

In the US, most dealership service are still open, but that may be different in the UK.

But I won't worry about the service due light, the car will be just fine, especially with the low mileage. Just get it done with the service department is back open.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:44 AM   #4
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:42 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I don't understand what your problem is when you say "I am doubtful I will be able to get it done due to lockdown" Do you mean because your dealer is closed? Or because you are afraid of them contaminated your car? Or is it some other reason?

My two local dealers are still open for service. Just about every week I get an email from them advertising they're open for service and offering specials and discounts. I think they're trying to bring in service sales to compensate for the lack of auto sales. They're even advertising free pickup and delivery of your vehicle, so you don't have to see anyone. Which, I understand isn't super helpful if you're concerned of them contaminating your car and it not being sanitized properly before you get in it.

I was thinking about this back in early March. When there was less known about the coronavirus and it was being said it lasted on surfaces for 7-14 days. Now they say it's even less for surfaces. 2hrs for fabrics and 2 days for metals and glass...

Let them pick up my car after 2 days of me not driving it, then not drive it myself for 2 days after they drop it off. To make sure any surface contamination is dead and gone.

With your short commute to work, take a taxi, walk, or ride a bike to/from as time passes.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

erm because in the UK we actually locked down? As in no one is out in the street hugging each other, or opening car show rooms, or just about anything else normal.

So I meant I couldn't physically get my car serviced (by BMW).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
erm because in the UK we actually locked down? As in no one is out in the street hugging each other, or opening car show rooms, or just about anything else normal.

So I meant I couldn't physically get my car serviced (by BMW).
Ah okay.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

No probs.

As it's a 2016 chassis it has the service package. So I'm hoping to choose the best reviewed local dealer, give them my VIN number and request my remaining two services?
Appreciate 0