BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Dinan Sway Bar Weights

11-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Dinan Sway Bar Weights

Received the sway bars today and figured I'd share their weights in case anyone wants it. This is swaybars themselves, without end links and bushings. I'll update with the stock weights after I get these Dinan's installed.

Dinan Sway Bars:
Rear - 7.4lbs
Front - 9.2lbs

Update: Stock w/ bushings
Rear - 6.6lbs
Front - 9lbs

1lb gain total with Dinan bars. 0.8lbs heavier in rear, 0.2lbs heavier in front. But maybe a little more gain since I didn't weigh the Dinan's with bushings.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 03-05-2019 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Received the sway bars today and figured I'd share their weights in case anyone wants it. This is swaybars themselves, without end links and bushings. I'll update with the stock weights after I get these Dinan's installed.

Rear - 7.4lbs
Front - 9.2lbs
Nice, I am doing this next after the Dinan coilover install. I also plan on the front ball joint kit and rear suspension kit, do you have these as well? Keep us posted on how the sway bars feel!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Is this mandatory or recommended when you install the Dinan suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Not mandatory just works together with synergy.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Nice, I am doing this next after the Dinan coilover install. I also plan on the front ball joint kit and rear suspension kit, do you have these as well? Keep us posted on how the sway bars feel!
I have the KW V3 coilovers that I'm installing alongside these.

My M2 is a street car that is never gonna see the track, just some twisty roads for fun, but I did heavily consider the ball joints and rear links anyway.

First one I knocked off the list was the rear links. They're expensive and I didn't think the cost was worth the benefits for my driving. I believe the biggest benefit is that you can adjust toe more easily with the dinan links, but you can do it with stock too, it's just harder because of the eccentric bolts used. That's what I read at least. I also read that the M2 stock links are designed how they are so that they get damaged in an accident, instead of the impact transferring to the differential and subframe and whatever else. I guess another reason that I decided against them is that I'm new to adjustable suspension and don't know what I'm doing. So, not only do I not know how toe affects the car, I doubt I will be able to tell if I need to adjust the toe.

I did end up researching how to adjust the coilovers and the swaybars, so I want to get a feel for doing that before anything else. My thoughts are against everyone else's I've seen on the forum (however external sites explaining how to adjust suspension is where I got these thoughts from) My thoughts are that I should keep the coilovers at factory dampening and adjust the swaybars first for the amount of oversteer/understeer, acceleration, etc that I want first. This way I can maintain ride quality and traction over bumps by softening the suspension. Instead of stiffening the suspension to compensate for something the swaybars can handle... What I've seen people on this forum say is the opposite. They say to adjust the coilovers first and use the swaybars for fine tuning. Anyway, yea, I don't know enough about all of it to warrant toe links yet.

The ball joints were in my shopping cart up until the last minute of placing the order. It's mainly because I want to feel the difference between them and stock, not because I think I need them. I saw some people complain of clunking noises while turning with them installed, which might've swayed me to not get them. Maybe I'll get them in the future, I don't know. I also haven't driven my M2 since Sept 2nd because it was in an accident, and still don't have it back yet, so I want some time to remember what stock feels like before upgrading too much.

I guess maybe I just have this stuff because I'm bored and need something to do and occupy my brain. So if I get bored of the current stuff, I might get the other stuff. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Quote:
Not mandatory just works together with synergy.
The Dinan M2 Matt Farah drove had these sways.

From what I'm hearing, some Dinan members complain the suspension is too bouncy. Wonder if the sways will help with that in anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The Dinan M2 Matt Farah drove had these sways.

From what I'm hearing, some Dinan members complain the suspension is too bouncy. Wonder if the sways will help with that in anyway.
Yea, I saw someone else comment about that recently and was gonna suggest sway bars (maybe I did suggest it, I forget). I remember thinking about how it all would work and being unsure if it would help. The sway bar only stiffens the car when there is different pressure on each wheel, because the different pressures twist the swaybar and create the counterforce.. So if you hit a bump with both tires at the same time, it would be the same bouncyness. However if you hit a bump with only one tire, or go around a turn, or any other scenario where there is different force being applied to each spring, then it would/should stiffen things up. That's my thinking.
Appreciate 1
FreeDarko217.00
      12-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Yea, I saw someone else comment about that recently and was gonna suggest sway bars (maybe I did suggest it, I forget). I remember thinking about how it all would work and being unsure if it would help. The sway bar only stiffens the car when there is different pressure on each wheel, because the different pressures twist the swaybar and create the counterforce.. So if you hit a bump with both tires at the same time, it would be the same bouncyness. However if you hit a bump with only one tire, or go around a turn, or any other scenario where there is different force being applied to each spring, then it would/should stiffen things up. That's my thinking.
After watching two M2 professional reviews with the Dinan full setup I am thinking it all works in synergy. Both reviews gush about how good (better than stock) the Dinan setup is. Maybe they are both paid off by Dinan. Suspension is a tricky thing in that each component relies on the other. Any weak links or parts that do not compliment one another and you have bad/inconsistent results.
Appreciate 1
FreeDarko217.00
      12-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Dinan uses progressive rate springs with a softer initial spring rate - they then toss on stiffer swaybars to counter the added bodyroll a softer inital progressive spring gives - swaybars have 0 effect on bounciness or ride quality until the car is loaded up.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      12-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingpizzainthef87rules View Post
Dinan uses progressive rate springs with a softer initial spring rate - they then toss on stiffer swaybars to counter the added bodyroll a softer inital progressive spring gives - swaybars have 0 effect on bounciness or ride quality until the car is loaded up.
Actually, I believe it's the other way around. Dinan uses linear springs vs progressive in stock and most other setups. Although the springs are technically more stiff than stock, their behavior is different (more linear?) than stock and thus appears softer. In other words, more compliant. At least that is what they say here:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2#post21564030
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Not sure about the Dinan Anti-Roll Bars, but I installed the AFE Anti-Roll Bars on my M3 Comp Pack and it made a world of a difference.

Definitely improved handling/cornering without compromising ride quality.

I would suggest anti-roll bars before springs or coil-overs if you really want to reduce body roll.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #12
NJ Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

I have a brand new, still-in-plastic Dinan rear bar in case anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0