BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Rattles?

06-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #67
racer34v
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Found a potential fix today to the A-pillar / dash rattle. It's two fold.

1. It appears that the underhood seal was not installed as engineered as it lips over the undercowl panel quite nicely and holds it down instead of the leading edge being unsecured in any fashion.

2 I went one step further and put a strip of silicone as a landing pad for where the panel lays on the body to keep it from causing noise. Also the panel that this one attaches too in the back rests on the firewall and I did the same thing there with a touch of silicone.

3. Profit??!? So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #68
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Have a minor rattle caused by the rear view mirror. I can manipulate the sound by tapping on the bottom of it. It could potentially be my blend/mirror tap install causing it so I'm gonna check on that soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #69
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Have a minor rattle caused by the rear view mirror. I can manipulate the sound by tapping on the bottom of it. It could potentially be my blend/mirror tap install causing it so I'm gonna check on that soon.
Check the screw securing the mirror to the puck. With homelink mirrors, especially since they are heavier, I've had that screw start backing out over time.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #70
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Check the screw securing the mirror to the puck. With homelink mirrors, especially since they are heavier, I've had that screw start backing out over time.
I realized it's not the mirror and it the big cover for the camera. I've been removing it alot of times to get my wiring right for my radar. If I hold the cover thru bumpy roads it will not rattle. However it doesn't rattle all the time. I'm still trying to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #71
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

My rear shelf rattle is so bad it makes driving absolutely annoying. Definitely need to fix it when I get a free weekend.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #72
brunodudo
Bruno Teixeira
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
My rear shelf rattle is so bad it makes driving absolutely annoying. Definitely need to fix it when I get a free weekend.
I had the same problem . I took the car to the dealership, and they replaced the isofix fix cover. They rattling stopped them.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 01:49 AM   #73
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Has anyone actually fixed the rear deck rattle on their own (not the latches)? My rattle always stops when I bring it in, very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #74
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

My car is pretty tight no rattles. As tight as the x5
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #75
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

The latches were my only point of rattle for the rear deck
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #76
XProject
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
I realized it's not the mirror and it the big cover for the camera. I've been removing it alot of times to get my wiring right for my radar. If I hold the cover thru bumpy roads it will not rattle. However it doesn't rattle all the time. I'm still trying to figure it out.
Did you find a way to fix it? I have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #77
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XProject View Post
No not really it doesn't really bother me that much so I just left it. Did you remove the cover before to cause it to be loose? A way I think to fix is to pay a premium to get a new cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #78
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No not really it doesn't really bother me that much so I just left it. Did you remove the cover before to cause it to be loose?
That rattle is always been there since I got the car. It's not loud or anything. It should be easy to fix.

Now, my biggest issue is dash cam picking up all those rattle near by that I don't hear when driving. I think it's from the cable. I'm still looking into it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #79
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That rattle is always been there since I got the car. It's not loud or anything. It should be easy to fix.

Now, my biggest issue is dash cam picking up all those rattle near by that I don't hear when driving. I think it's from the cable. I'm still looking into it.
Have you lowered your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #80
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Have you lowered your car?
Nope. Just Fabspeed downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #81
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
Post Let's fix the M2 rattles - DIY

Hey everyone!

I put together a simple DIY guide on how to fix the main 2 rattles that I had on my M2 since the day I got it from the dealership.

Those rattles were driving me insane but after a loooong afternoon I managed to nail the position where they were coming from and fix them.

Hope this guide helps anyone encountering the same problem

First: Rear view mirror rattle

Here's a little video of the most annoying noise I had

This is the simplest fix but took me forever to pinpoint the source of the noise, because it was bouncing off the windscreen and dash and made me think it was coming from a totally different area.

Step 1.
Remove the plastic cover of the rear view mirror. Very easy to do, just separate the two halves using your fingers by lifting one half up and pushing the other down.

Step 2.
With the covers removed, I noticed one cable not being secured in his retention clip... possibly one source of the rattle

Step 3.
Insert some foam or spacer between the rain sensor plastic housing and the mirror. This all plastic assembly is very unsecured and by hitting the glass it generates noise

Step 4.
Add some electric tape to the side pins which hold the two plastic covers to the main body of the mirror. I noticed that during driving if I would squeeze the two halves together at the bottom the rattle would stop.

Step 5.
Reassembly

Second: Rattle coming from center console area/glovebox

This is the most invasive fix and it took me a good 2hrs to do, mainly because I was being extra careful in removing all the trim pieces to not damage them.

You will need some trim removal plastic tools for this. I have an LCI M2 so the steps are for this version, for the pre-lci I can guess they would be similar.

Step 1.
Remove the front air vent and trim. Use the trim tools to pry the panel, all the clips are just pressure-held in and they will come off by pulling towards you.

I decided to not disconnect the electrical wiring

Step 2.
Insert some foam or spacer between the right air conduct and the top part of the dash. This is a source of the noise.

Step 3.
Remove glovebox compartment. I also removed the passenger side air vent in the process of finding the source of the noise *you don't need to do this as there's nothing behind*

To remove the glovebox you need to first remove the kick panel underneath it, it's held in place by 4 T20 torx screws, after that disconnect the foot light connector. By doing this you will reveal two screws which hold the bottom glovebox in place - unscrew them *sorry no pics*

Open the glovebox and remove the front-facing screws. After that you'll be able to pull the all glovebox out. Disconnect the glovebox light connector.

Step 4.
There is a tag which is resting against the plastic on one of the cables causing a rattle, I secure it by applying some electrical tape.

Step 5.
I added some foam onto the air ducts for the foot area, the clearance between them and the kick panel is really tight.. not sure if they can generate noise but I've done it as a preventive maneuver

Step 6.
Reassembly

Step 7.
Enjoy your rattle-free M2
Appreciate 12
MadViper141.50
D CHOI580.00
rich8566608.50
963mw331.00
CSBM52695.50
M235guy75.50
DARKMTTR229.00
F87source7177.50
      01-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #82
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Good info. Would like to see one for the rear deck rattle...another popular noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #83
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Good info. Would like to see one for the rear deck rattle...another popular noise.
Thanks
Luckily I don't have that one (yet)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #84
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I had exactly the same rear view mirror rattle and i fixed it the same way. Now i have this front left rattle and i am not sure is it from the door or the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 08:30 PM   #85
Thevintage
Private
Rep
Drives: 1998 840ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Hey, just wondering if anybody has any rattles so far on their M2. I have been hearing a tiny "click" sound on the front passenger side (door perhaps?) every time the the front wheel on that side goes over a small bump. Its not always the case though as I only hear it from time to time. I have removed everything on the car. Noise is still there. Aside from that, the car is rock solid and amazing to drive!
There is a PUMA fix for this,requires windscreen out,metal round screen adjusted and glue inserted,had this done a couple of weeks back.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #86
drewF87
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 AW, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Mmm I have one coming from the speaker near the rear window
same here. that rear deck is pretty flimsy.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #87
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I had the rear rattle fixed roughly 2 weeks ago, and it slowly came back until it was back at full rattle 1 week ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #88
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post
Hey everyone!

I put together a simple DIY guide on how to fix the main 2 rattles that I had on my M2 since the day I got it from the dealership.

Those rattles were driving me insane but after a loooong afternoon I managed to nail the position where they were coming from and fix them.

Hope this guide helps anyone encountering the same problem
What an amazing post, thank you sir!

There's only so much rattling a person can take, after that it becomes 'personal'

I did something similar on my E46 M3... pulling off panels and using rolls of felt tape. I eliminated every rattle in that car and it was glorious thereafter.

Glovebox. Soo glad you found this - Mine had been rattling from that area for a while. I did a short term hack using a stress ball between the footlight cover and carpet. I will seek to fix that asap.