BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 Coupé – Joy is the journey and.....

04-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Post BMW M2 Coupé – Joy is the journey and.....

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BMW M2 Coupé – Joy is the journey and the reward is driving it in the best daily driver with two doors and four seats

This is my initial review after 11 days behind the wheel crossing Europe. Many reviews have gone before me and many journalists have shared their opinion about the car to you guys, but none of them have really given you thoughts and input from the perspective of a future owner. In the next story, I am trying to give you that perspective and the input that allows you to have a different look at the new baby M model.

The story shares the first initial impression from my end after having the BMW M2 for 11 days across Europe. The LBB M2 available at my disposal was a press demo picked up in Munich and driven to Monaco via the Austrian and Italian Alps, the wonderful mountain roads near Modena and one of the best highways in the world which takes you from Genoa to Monaco.

I am writing this story a day before I have to drop off the BMW M2 at BMW HQ near Munich, and only five days before my personal BMW M2 is delivered into my own personal hands. My car has been delivered to Czech Republic last week and the final preparations are being done before I pick it up.

My intention is to keep this story short and I will try to include some comparisons with the 1M, M235i, M4 and M3 e46. Before you all starting to reply, I have to mention first that the last time I drove a 1M was last year in the summer, the M4 in April of last year and the M3 e46 and M235i were driven in September of last year. So there was a bit of time between driving all cars. I hope to do a decent comparison of my M2 with a 1M in the coming months.

Let’s start with the highlights of the vehicle and touch on the pro’s and con’s. First of all the exterior, there is not much that I can add to everything that has been said before. You all know it and we have been discussing the pro's and con's over the past months in this forum. The only major concern I have are the plastic bits here and there, but we have M Performance parts so we can change them if we want. Same goes for the silver everywhere which I will replace with blacked out parts.

The color is an interesting one. My first impression with the color was at a car show and on a X6 M. I did not like at all, but now that I have been around it for 11 days, the LBB set up is a true hero color that fits to this car. LBB acts like a chameleon, it changes constantly to a different kind of blue. Darker, lighter, more or less green in it. Amazingly, it changes a lot depending on the light around it and in a bright sun light it intends to be really vibrant. When the sun goes down, it becomes a lot darker blue. I never really spotted the green tint in it, not as much as I did during the car show and on the X6 M. All in all, in my opinion this is the best color choice.

Also discussed many, many times, and from my end not much to discuss here, only little things. The overall package is fine and good. It is not too special and feels quite common BMW, but I do not mind that so much. It is what I expected and what I require. The only major point to note is the amount of road noise inside. It is much more than I heard with other cars. And if you want to make it different? Go aftermarket… The pedals are beautifully spaced and the seats are snug but comfortable. The center dashboard cluster with the speedometer and rpm gauge can be quite dark sometimes. I never had that problem with the 1M, but in certain light situations it is not as good readable as I had hoped. During the days I used the car I got used to it, but it was a point I noticed on the first day I drove it.

Another point is that I like to have my main beam lights on sooner. The auto light setting took a while to switch the lights on. I changed it to always ON and I leave it there. The ASD is only annoying in the Sport modes. The active sound it produces is crap, so I will have it disengaged. I just hate that system. Interestingly though is that I have less of an issue with that system from the driver’s seat. On the passenger seat it is much more noticeable, but maybe that is my way of focusing on sound then on the traffic around me. It is just a small point of difference which I noticed. The system itself is a lot better than in the M4, but still annoying enough to get rid of especially when you are going to swap exhausts. Other than that, not much to mention, seating for four is totally fine, boot space is big enough and the BMW navigation is as useless as any other in-car navigation system. Oh and do not order the annoying collision warning system.

Let’s move to the sound track of the M2. First of all, the sound on video is NOT the sound you hear in real live. It is totally different and the vehicle is way louder, a lot louder! There is nice rumble on release of the throttle and a nice slightly muffled growl from the exhaust on acceleration. Especially cold start is much better than I thought. The exhaust sounds great while driving, much better than the M4 soundtrack. It really fits to the car, but there is always room for improvement. I would like to have a better burble at lift off and during shifts, and a much higher pitched soundtrack at higher revs which is known to six-in-line engines. Down pipes and an aftermarket exhaust system will fix that.

My personal highlights of the car is the power train. The power delivery through the DCT is brilliantly linear and direct. (I have not driven the manual, only DCT) It is fast, not superfast, but fast and climbs with ease to 250 kmh. No question about that! The throttle response is incredibly sharp and the electronically controlled rear diff pushes the rear end around in a predictable and measured fashion. The way the power train delivers the power and puts it down to the street is definitely one of the best features of the car. Changing the sports modes really gives you a clear difference between the gearbox modes and how it handles. Also it disengages start/stop in sport mode.

On the subject of brakes there is a wonderful paddle feel, and nice transition through the breaking momentum. The set up is really similar to the setup of the M4, although I drove most of the time in a M4 with the carbon ceramics so that is not really a fair comparison. I do not feel the need to upgrade to ceramics on the normal roads I drove. It all feels compliant and nicely controlled.

The handling is another highlight of the car. It sticks and handles excellently. The compliant behavior of the vehicle is remarkable. Keep your foot firmly planted on the go-pedal and on surfaces that would have unsettled almost any other performance car, the M2 sticks and sticks. There are no adaptive dampers and you do not feel any difference between the damping in normal or sport (you wonder why that is mentioned in the iDrive as a setting). The damping is exceptional, tracking straight and true no matter what road you drive. Overall it is hard, but not extremely hard and though. It is compliant and smooth in many ways, an excellent mix between honing it and cruising it.
All in all, the car feels small, but not too small. It really feels like the 1M and M3 E46, and it definitely feels smaller than the M4. You notice how nimble it is, but it is also not a small hatchback. It has a size and presence. The boxy nature of the setup is really similar to the 1M and M235i, although it handles a lot different from the M235i. There is a huge difference!

If there is a remark to make then it is the steering. The car uses the same steering rack as the M4, and as far as I know it is electronic. You feel the slight disconnected behavior of the steering. It is exactly the same problem the M4 has. It is definitely not bad, but it does not have the steering feel like a M3 e46 or a 1M. Those are better, although the differences are so small. I will have a proper look at it when I compare the 1M and M2 in the coming months.

If I have to choose a negative then it is the steering, but a really small negative. Before everyone starts a whole story about it in the comments. The steering is not bad, but it is not as good as the previous cars. It is just less communicative then those. The difference is really small, and the steering of the M2 is in the top among its competitors in current market, but if I had to find a remark (and that is hard) this would be it.

Let’s conclude my story and initial review of the car. The M2 is a mix between the compact set up of the M235i & 1M and the technical abilities of the current M4. You feel it everywhere in the car when you drive it. It is a bit like a mini-M4, and that is not a bad thing at all. You feel it is more a mini-M4 than a 1M, because the 1M was from a previous generation. It is definitely the new 1M with all the best bits from the M4, and with slightly softer and more compliant & refined edge to it.

Overall, there’s a lovely balance to the car with strong front end grip and then easy, progressive oversteer that belies its short wheelbase. Combination of the handling and power delivery is what makes this car excel. The way it pulls you out of a corner into the next turn is addictive and something none of the other cars in this space have. The momentum it can carry is sublime. The power train and suspension set up are my immediate highlights. They make this car the ultimate two-door four-seat daily driver for true petrol heads and cornering enthusiasts. In its market space there is no better option to choose than this. No car offers the sheer enjoyment and playfulness of the M2.
Attached Images

Last edited by MR.; 04-18-2016 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 32
      04-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Thanks for the write-up. Kinda confirms what others have pointed out before.

Small note: I guess you meant "compliant" each time you wrote "complaint" ?
      04-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #3
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Thanks for the write-up. Kinda confirms what others have pointed out before.

Small note: I guess you meant "compliant" each time you wrote "complaint" ?
Yup fixed it i wrote it rapidly this morning.

MR
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Excellent write up. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I agree on basically everything you said.

I especially was shocked how well the chassis handled bumpy and twisty back roads, even when being quite brutal with the accelerator on corner exits.
Felt like nothing would unsettle the excellent body control of the car even at very high speeds.

Also, the ability to put the power down in the first gears is nothing but phenomenal.
However it makes you feel the car could easily handle some extra power...

One thing I noted was that the tire noise was quite bad on tarmac/asphalt that is more coarse.

Apart from that, the M2 is amazing and lived up to my high expectations. It is definately worth every penny.

Br
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Great write up and thanks for your opinion.I like the comments regarding the DCT as that is my choice as well
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Awesome write up MR, good to have a decent review of the car on the road instead of the track and being driven for an extended period of time.

So it definitely was you in the YouTube vids with the English lads and the Merc, Jag, Porsche etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
Great write up and thanks for your opinion.I like the comments regarding the DCT as that is my choice as well
You will love the DCT. I am a manual guy for cars like this but I went with DCT this time around and absolutely love it.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Good review! Thanks for sharing nice pictures!
      04-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #9
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Some more info for you guys...

I did 1L to 10 km on average during the trip and it warms up a lot faster than my old 135i. Oil is warm in around 10-15 min and the engine temp is OK around 6 min.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 04-18-2016 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Some more info for you guys...

I did 1L to 100km on average during the trip and it warms up a lot faster than my old 135i. Oil is warm in around 10-15 min and the engine temp is OK around 6 min.

MR
thanks for the review.

But 1 liter to 100 km???fuel? that doesnt seem right...
      04-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #11
unreg
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: soon 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
thanks for the review.

1 liter of happiness produced per 100km.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #12
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
thanks for the review.

For the metrically impaired, that is like 235mpg.
      04-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
For the metrically impaired, that is like 235mpg.
Typo guys :P Come on

MR
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
unreg
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: soon 718 Cayman

Does this count for the 10L per 100km ?

Last edited by unreg; 04-18-2016 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unreg View Post

More videos coming on different channels... #nomoretypos

MR
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
VividRacingII
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F80 M3

Thanks for the write up!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

I keep thinking one of these early review sets will be Shmee and the SoL convoy with his blue M2. You almost had me at "Munich to Monaco" and Sebastian photography.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #18
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreg View Post

that video was HOT GARBAGE. misleading title no?
      04-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #19
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Epic. Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Welcome to the Internet.
      04-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #21
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Welcome to the Internet.

You seem to enjoy it ?, some of us don't. And are we talking about internet ?

On topic: Nice pictures, very flattering for the LBB, didn't find anything new in the review but thanks for posting anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Sounds about right...
Appreciate 0